What church do you attend?

Obliquity

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am blessed to have attended some really terrific churches over the years. First Presbyterian in my home town growing up. Living Word Christian Center in Brooklyn Park, MN and Church On The Move, Tulsa, OK are two places where I grew tremendously in my adult years.

I currently attend Christ Center in Cashmere, WA. Although it is officially an AG church, the Pastor takes very seriously that he feels called to minister to the entire community. It is very family oriented and much of the teaching reflects an emphasis on relationships.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
He said we should go for others, not ourselves.
I found that very interesting and it gave me food for thought. I have started believing it myself and try to go more because of that speech.

Something to truly prayerfully consider. Thanks for the post.

1stJohn1:9

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My wife (Mrs. IcemanSK) & I worship at an Episcopal Church in our town. We feel it has a great blend of worship of God who calls us to serve humanity. Our experience in the past is that churches will focus on one part or the other.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I grew up Roman Catholic and then I slowly began to realize that all of our gods and all of our religions were just another evolutionary adaptation for survival on this tiny little speck in this puny little corner of the galaxy...much less the universe.

For all practical purposes, I am an athiest, but I still go to church.

Three years ago, my wife and I joined the Unitarian Universalist church in Duluth, Minnesota. We did so because this faith "tradition" basically has no doctrine or traditions or dogma and it allows you to learn about everything that is out there. We draw material form all faiths and from many other paths that wouldn't normally be considered "faith" in order to guide us in our daily lives.

This really fits well for me, being an athiest. Since I don't really believe in any faith traditions, I feel no compunction about picking and choosing what kinds of things to follow. I make up my own mind about what I feel is wrong and right...and if I disagree with something someone says in our church, I disregard it...and that's okay.

The other thing I like about it is that my kids get to learn about all sorts of different faiths in the religious education program. Hopefully this will help them better understand our fellow humans...

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
None.

My family and I have attended nondenominational churches, a Church of Christ, Seventh Day Baptist, and a fundamental baptist church.

Funny thing, most of those churches I've attended were against martial arts.

I believe in God though and I pray.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just curious. I ask "church" but if you go to a synagog (sp?) or temple put it down. And why do you attend it?

I started out in a presbitarian church then I was reached out to by an ICOC (International Church of Christ) member. After 10 years I left that church and went to a Mainline Church of Christ a couple years. Now I go to a Methodist Church. I'm always looking for a real family oriented church.

Why must I attend?

Why must I have a religion?

Why must society classify and pigeon whole me or others like this?

Now, as to your comment about Family Oriented, I agree. If you find any organization or group of neighbors (* How come people no longer have block parties and know more about tehir neighbors? *) that has group events for the family is good. That is nice to share in values is nice as well.

But, why must one go to a church or other religious building to share with others? To be humane and help others? Why must one go to a place and become part of the mass or crowd to feel they belong? Can they not belong at other places as well?

As to why I attend or not attend: I do not attend as no matter how good the writings or intentions of those in an organization, there will be those who brake the rules. There will be those who bend the rules for thier own agendas and or power or their benefit somehow.

I prefer to have friends and others around me that choose to be around me and nor because we all think we have the same values. I prefer to personally be around those whose actions speak for themselves, be they of any religion or culture or etcetera.

My thoughts on this.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like Rich, I do not belong to, nor regularly attend, a religious institution. I used to belong to a synagogue (Reform), but I found myself attending only on Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur (equivalent to attending only on Christmas and Easter) and started thinking about why. That was when I realized that the synagogue I was attending, while a good synagogue, was too large and impersonal for my needs, so I went looking for another. Unlike churches, however, synagogues are fairly rare - there are only 2 Reform congregations in Denver anywhere near me, and the other, while smaller and more familial, still did not appeal to me. I know no one there, and have never gone out of my way to socialize with people solely because they share my religious background; I'd rather hang out with MA people.

If you attend a religious institution, and it works for you - great! One of my best friends is heavily involved in her church; it's a major part of her life and the life of her family. On the other hand, other than major events (weddings, funerals) I can't recall the last time any member of my family attended a religious service. It's just not something any of us feel the need for at present.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally I don't attend services or recite my daily prayers. However, I do believe very strongly in God and make efforts to better understand my scripture as well as the holy words of others.

The cultural attachments of "churches" (used generically and not in reference to Christianity) have exhausted me completely. A house of worship is a place for spiritual growth, yet too many times I have arrived for a service pumped and energized ready to worship and to do my volunteer work.....but departed the service shattered and crushed by a spirituality that is inconsistent with that of my own.

I'm become a sort of theistic nomad. From time to time I have a chance to get together with a small group of people to discuss God and scripture. Occasionally a friend may ask me to their house of worship for a holiday or sabbath day service. Other times I end up studying, praying or meditating alone.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I go to different religion churches and holy ground when I am invited.
I like listening to the different ideas and usually the positive "aura" around.
Why do I go? Well besides learning new things and the positive vibe I go to show my friends or who ever invited me that I am interested in learning more about them. I think people of different religions should once in a while go to each other churches or holy ground to learn more about unity and religion tolerance but that is my opnion.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Reconstructionist Jewish Congregation, because it encourages us to find God in everything we do, rather than God as an entity up in heaven.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Reconstructionist Jewish Congregation, because it encourages us to find God in everything we do, rather than God as an entity up in heaven.

I like that!

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Currently none.
Once my life settles down from the pure chaos that it is right now to a less intense, more generalized entropy, I will most likely join a Buddhist prayer group.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm an atheist, but ocassionaly go to a local Asatru gathering for the feeling of brotherhood and good home made meade.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Right now, nowhere.

I was regular Church of Christ for a long time, my Father is a minister and we all ended up in a Church up here in Maine that turned out to be a pack of Jackals. Dad announced he was going to retire and the whole place turned on him like a pack of wild animals. Even went so far as to write me a letter questioning if I ever was a "true" member and my wife as well.

Walked out, and have a hard time going anywhere now. I am a firm believer in God, and know I have to find a church that I can call my "home" church, but the whole trust issue is still up for grabs. The Scottish in me really wants to hold out this grudge against organized religion. :)

kamishinkan

Green Belt
Reaction score
I attend a non/interdenominational 'pentecostal type" Christian church with a strong emphasis on the Hebrew roots of the faith. We believe in the Torah as God's revealed instructions for believers and observe the feasts of God (Passover, Unleavened Bread, Trumpets, etc.) Great group of people who love God and His Messiah in the Spirit!!

MartialArtHeart

Green Belt
Reaction score
I used to hate church. Thought it was a boring place full of hypocrites. But last Sunday I visited a contemporary service- I was blown away. These people know they aren't perfect- they love God with all their heart, and make no pretenses! I think I may have finally found a church home.

Latest Discussions