What arts would work for us?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Shouldn't I expect to have opportunities to spar at whatever studio I choose, not only with old, out-of-shape guys like me but also with those cops and soldiers?

As mentioned previously, I have a history of chronic fatigue syndrome, so I have to be careful what kind of stress I bring upon my body. A fight at a full-contact MMA or hard art event could leave me home-bound for days or even weeks. I understand that there is value in being tested, but I have to balance that against the likely consequences and the need to function in other areas of my life. I haven't been in a fight since elementary school, and the likelihood of getting into one in my late 40s or thereafter is extremely low. Yes, I want self-defense skills, but I'm willing to take the chance that they won't be sufficient in a low-probability real-world encounter if that means I'm able to keep working and performing other 100% probability daily living activities for myself.

It depends on the school who you spar. You will almost guaranteed spar better guys if you spar at a combat sport. They will be better if you spar hard. They will be better if you spar light. And you will have more immersion in to what is required to fight a full contact fight if you are around full contact fighters than if you are not.

I would prefer to go to a school that has that depth of experience even if I don’t take it to its full potential.

So if your chronic fatigue holds you back from competing that is fine. But the fact the school has competitors will mean you get more out of that school.

The downside is you may not be comparatively very good in that school.

So for example this is Tiger Muay Thai. And it is easy to use as it is a very prestigious school and so there are a lot of videos and information I can access.

Now this school develops some of the best fighters in the world and does classes that would probably end us in hospital. But it also doesn't. It also provides a vegie patch where we could move at our own pace. The difference being the trainers are just better with a greater depth of experience in what they do.

Last edited:
OP
Blue_Phoenix

Blue_Phoenix

White Belt
Reaction score
It depends on the school who you spar. You will almost guaranteed spar better guys if you spar at a combat sport. They will be better if you spar hard. They will be better if you spar light. And you will have more immersion in to what is required to fight a full contact fight if you are around full contact fighters than if you are not.

I would prefer to go to a school that has that depth of experience even if I don’t take it to its full potential.

So if your chronic fatigue holds you back from competing that is fine. But the fact the school has competitors will mean you get more out of that school.

The downside is you may not be comparatively very good in that school.

So for example this is Tiger Muay Thai. And it is easy to use as it is a very prestigious school and so there are a lot of videos and information I can access.

Now this school develops some of the best fighters in the world and does classes that would probably end us in hospital. But it also doesn't. It also provides a vegie patch where we could move at our own pace. The difference being the trainers are just better with a greater depth of experience in what they do.

Thanks, now that makes sense to me. :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's close, reasonably priced, and a mix of different disciplines. Of course, if the instructor is crap, none of that will be enough to get us to sign on!
Yeah, there is essentially zero information about the instructor, which is frustrating when looking for quality instruction. Well, the only way to know then is to show up and watch some classes and ask some questions.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
1st Search any Martial arts in your area
2 Go to each dojo to see what fits for you
3 Observe the instructor and their student on how the instructor teach their student and how the student respond to their instructor
4 Choose the Martial arts that you like
5 ask how much is the price
6 make sure is not a Mcdojo

Latest Discussions