What are you Martial Art resolutions and or aims for 2019

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So now that we have entered 2019... What are your martial art (related) resolutions and or aims for 2019?

Mine are:

1. Continue my training towards my 4th Dan (I started last week)...

2. Lose fat, build more muscle, and increase flexibility...

3. From a club point of view, increase adult members...

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great stuff :)

1. Definitely to get back into being able to physically train again. Gonna be spending the next few weeks doing physio and rehabbing my ankle (literally learning to walk again..).

2. Find a style and commit to it! This is the top priority (after rehabbing of course). Going to be trialling more styles, and here's hoping I find something that I really click with and something I want to dedicate myself to.

3. Most likely continue the tournament circuit this year, and aim at competing in the National titles at the end of the year (which is actually held in my state this year!).

OP
kitkatninja

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Great stuff :)

1. Definitely to get back into being able to physically train again. Gonna be spending the next few weeks doing physio and rehabbing my ankle (literally learning to walk again..).

2. Find a style and commit to it! This is the top priority (after rehabbing of course). Going to be trialling more styles, and here's hoping I find something that I really click with and something I want to dedicate myself to.

3. Most likely continue the tournament circuit this year, and aim at competing in the National titles at the end of the year (which is actually held in my state this year!).

What happened to your ankle?

What arts will you be trying?

Good luck with the tournament circuit :)

-Ken

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No resolutions, really, but I do have two things I'm working on:

The important one is I'm looking for a new home for my program (last summer, we had to leave the athletic center we were using). Actually going today to check out a martial arts school that appears to only have classes two days a week, to see if they'd be interested in having another art on one or two of the other days.

Working on a new (to me) kick, hoping to get it functional this year. That somewhat depends upon having a space with a heavy bag to practice with on a regular basis. The one at the gym I use is too light for hard contact kicks, and the frame is far too close to the bag for comfort (I kicked a frame HARD last year, so am frame-shy).

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Continue on the path I started on last year.
Train a minimum of 3 days a week.
learn the rest of my school's colored belt curicullum.
Keep working on my jump spinning kicks, particularly the 360 degree roundhouse kick, and back kick.
Help others like me to find their way back to martial arts after a long hiatus.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
work on sidekick, and mawashi geri.

dont get injured.

lockin new material i get exposed to.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Try to make it to 2020.
Help my buddy at his dojo more.
Have continued patience with fools.
Increase flexibility exercises.
Make more eggplant parmigiana. For those thinking "that's not a martial Arts goal" I say good eggplant parm is directly related to the cultivation of better Martial Arts. I think it's osmosis or something.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Try to make it to 2020.
Help my buddy at his dojo more.
Have continued patience with fools.
Increase flexibility exercises.
Make more eggplant parmigiana. For those thinking "that's not a martial Arts goal" I say good eggplant parm is directly related to the cultivation of better Martial Arts. I think it's osmosis or something.

WHADDAYA MEAN not a martial Arts that right there is Eggplant Parmigiana Fu

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not resolutions, but goals

Hopefully get train with a Traditional Sun Taijiquan Guy about 4 hours from me

Hopefully get to train with a Traditional Northern Wu guy 2 hours from me

Hopefully meet up with the guy I learned this short Sun Form from and see what he thinks of it

Also thinking about talking to my youngest Aikido Sempai and see if he will help me get my falls and break falls back

Push hands, push hands and more push hands

Plin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ooh, good topic!

In 2019, I hope to:
  • earn my green belt (maybe even blue stripe, if things go well)
  • work on my strength and flexibility to continue improving my form
  • avoid injury
It may seem like a short list, but it represents a lot of work, so I'm okay with it.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
What happened to your ankle?

What arts will you be trying?

Good luck with the tournament circuit :)

-Ken

Thanks Ken! Yeah like Gerry linked to (bit of a long read the thread hehe), fracture (potential that is..) and partially torn ligament from a bad ankle roll in a tournament almost 4 months ago now, but have the okay to do physio now (after much waiting).

In terms of arts I'm definitely drawn more to the striking arts, so next up when I'm all healed I'll check out a Tang Soo Do club that I sat in on last year which seems interesting, then maybe a few other karate styles.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No resolutions, really, but I do have two things I'm working on:

The important one is I'm looking for a new home for my program (last summer, we had to leave the athletic center we were using). Actually going today to check out a martial arts school that appears to only have classes two days a week, to see if they'd be interested in having another art on one or two of the other days.

Working on a new (to me) kick, hoping to get it functional this year. That somewhat depends upon having a space with a heavy bag to practice with on a regular basis. The one at the gym I use is too light for hard contact kicks, and the frame is far too close to the bag for comfort (I kicked a frame HARD last year, so am frame-shy).
How'd it go with the school?

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So now that we have entered 2019... What are your martial art (related) resolutions and or aims for 2019?

Mine are:

1. Continue my training towards my 4th Dan (I started last week)...

2. Lose fat, build more muscle, and increase flexibility...

3. From a club point of view, increase adult members...
My new years resolution for 2019 is to become a blue belt in BJJ. As I stated in another thread it was one of my 2018 resolutions which I did not meet in 2018 so I've made it my 2019 resolution. In the other thread I also mention that I could've been promoted to blue belt back in December but turned it down settling instead for a fourth stripe on my white belt so now I am one promotion away from being a blue belt and hopefully I will make it in 2019. Aside from that my other resolutions, in regards to martial arts and physical fitness is to just get stronger and better.

OP
kitkatninja

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Good for you. I generally stop chasing rank after making 1st Dan but that's just me, to each their own.

It's not so much "chasing rank", but it's the further training, building on the concepts of the previous levels - contraction/expansion, compression/decompression, the further development of the art to make it your own, etc... The implied training. If I just "chasing rank", I could go and join one of the associations that hand out belts as long as you attend their classes or buy one off the internet... But that's just me ;)

Latest Discussions