What are the advantages of cross training?

Hayden816

White Belt
Reaction score
I have always heard people talking about cross training and what fighting style they would wanna cross train. I dont know what they mean by cross training.

so my question is, what are the advantages in cross training and if you did cross trian what other martial arts would you cross train it with?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Firstly, welcome to MT. Good to have another Aussie. There can never be enough of us to try and add balance this forum. :)

Cross training is something you do if you feel there is something missing in the art that you normally train or if there is something that you feel could add to your understanding of your art or even to make your art more effective.

Some arts meld seamlessly and others are totally counter productive. An example that I like to use, because I train in both, is Karate and Aikido. Aikido enhances my Karate, Goju (which is 'hard and soft'), by training the soft. If I was firstly an Aikidoka there is no way I could learn Karate without damaging my Aikido. So in the Aikido scenario one of the sword arts may be the way to go if I wanted to add a second string. Many martial arts lack grappling skills so people might cross train in Judo or BJJ if they perceived the need for more balance training.

If you were from say Muay Thai and you want to compete in MMA then you would possibly cross train BJJ, and so on.
:asian:

twins-mt

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
otherwise start train bjj to not get "killed" on the ground ;)

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cross-train can also mean something like this: let's say you take a martial art like wing chun (which is what I do). I don't know how other schools are run, but in mine it's clear to see your cardio system is not stressed at all (or very much). So you decide to do a cardio exercise routine at home. Also, wing chun favors sensitivity and speed over strength. But let's say it is in your heart that you want bigger muscles. Well, then you need a weightlifting routine outside of class too.

So cross-train can mean more than one thing, not necessarily training in more than one art.

Welcome to MT.

BrendonR

White Belt
Reaction score
BJJ, Tae Kwon Do, Choi Kwang Do, Boxing, Muay thai(kick boxing), Capeiroa, Tai Chi Chuan, Tai Chi, Yue Chia, Shorin Ryu, Systema, Italian Judo, American Judo, Aikido, Spilza Spenguinistasya, American karate, Tae boxing, wing chun, wing chun do, jeet kune do, 5 snimal forms Kung fu, Shaolin Kung Fu, Krav Maga, Commando Krav Maga, High School Wrestling, Modern Arnis, Nuba, Tinko, Wen-Do, MCMAP, Jailhouse Fighting Style, Butthan, Pradal Serey, Mukmban, Silan ma, Kuntao, Japanese Karate, Kendo, Sumo(applications due to insufficient weight), hapkido, tang soo do, Buno, Pale, Gladitorial sword fighting, Singlstick, Savate, Sabbat, Russian Fist Fighting, Sambo, Fencing, All weapons combat, Every Item in the room combat, Kapap and Limalama.

These are the Styles, ALONE. Of which I have trained in. Crosstraining is the only way. If you read a book on sales, do you read only one author? If you eat fruit, do you only eat apples? Where is the pleasure in that?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
The purpose of studying an art that you love is to refine it, get better at it. The fruit comparison makes no sense because you don't "refine" getting better at eating fruit...unless it means you dribble less juice down your chin or something. As for sales, there are multiple sales strategies so it is like a martial art in that you should pick the approach you like and refine it.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
What if you really like apples?

Well, according to the above post, you shouldn't like JUST apples. I agree when it comes to that because there is a lot of good food out there, but the analogy doesn't hold up here...IMHO, anyway.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
BJJ, Tae Kwon Do, Choi Kwang Do, Boxing, Muay thai(kick boxing), Capeiroa, Tai Chi Chuan, Tai Chi, Yue Chia, Shorin Ryu, Systema, Italian Judo, American Judo, Aikido, Spilza Spenguinistasya, American karate, Tae boxing, wing chun, wing chun do, jeet kune do, 5 snimal forms Kung fu, Shaolin Kung Fu, Krav Maga, Commando Krav Maga, High School Wrestling, Modern Arnis, Nuba, Tinko, Wen-Do, MCMAP, Jailhouse Fighting Style, Butthan, Pradal Serey, Mukmban, Silan ma, Kuntao, Japanese Karate, Kendo, Sumo(applications due to insufficient weight), hapkido, tang soo do, Buno, Pale, Gladitorial sword fighting, Singlstick, Savate, Sabbat, Russian Fist Fighting, Sambo, Fencing, All weapons combat, Every Item in the room combat, Kapap and Limalama.

These are the Styles, ALONE. Of which I have trained in. Crosstraining is the only way. If you read a book on sales, do you read only one author? If you eat fruit, do you only eat apples? Where is the pleasure in that?

I'm sorry, but I find this really hard to believe, care to explain?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm skeptical of this claim. In fact, I'm just going to go ahead and raise the BS flag right now. :bs: You posted a link to a video in another thread, and I actually sat through it :)hb:). From that video, you look like you're in your early 20's. There is absolutely zero chance that you've had any significant training in this many arts in such a brief timespan. Especially given the complete lack of skill shown in that video. Frankly, I've got pre-pubescent students who show more skill than is displayed in that video.

Watching a YouBoob video does not mean you've trained in an art.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
after studing for over 40 years and traveling across the country and internationally to study various arts I could never claim to study as many arts as listed by BrendonR and I surly would not have a good understanding of those arts.

To say one has studied an art and crossed trained in it takes time and effort. This is not something that can be claimed by walking by the door of an establishment but something that takes at least a couple years in each place. Cross training is good only if you have an established base from which to compare the arts and enough time devoted in each art to know the difference in what you learn and why it is different

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
To the OP....I train in both Shaolin Kempo and BJJ. I find these complement each other. My primary MA is SK, but I wanted to ensure if I ever was taken to the ground by a grappler I would have skills to defend myself with the goal of getting back on my feet. I feel both of these styles has improved the other throughout my training. I have used my SK in BJJ, and my BJJ in SK. Interesting once you train in these long enough they start to flow together (Art).

As it relates to BrendonR - based on his previously posted video he is a troll and has never trained in any MA. I have seen better McDojo students.