What are the 9 ryu?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I've noted before, I'm not a student of any form of taijutsu/ninjustu, just curious.

I know that there are nine core traditions or ryu that make up "modern ninjutsu" as Dr. Hatsumi teaches it; a recent thread even listed the Japanese kanji for them.

Could someone either point me to or provide a brief description of what each is about? I'm not talking paragraphs; I'm talking sentences! To give examples that I know something about... It'd be something like "Boxing is a Western sport where the opponents use gloved fists to strike to the head and upperbody" or "Judo is a Japanese martial art and sport which focuses on ways to grapple and throw opponents to the ground."

I'm guessing this has probably been answered somewhere...and I've looked... but I haven't been able to find it.

Thanks!

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm guessing this has probably been answered somewhere...and I've looked... but I haven't been able to find it.

Ok, since you say you have tried to find things I will try to help out.

Togakure ryu and Kumogakure ryu are said to be ninjutsu ryuha. I know only a little of the techniques of Kumogakure ryu, but the fighting techniques of the Togakure system are all about getting away as quickly as possible. Imagine a scout discovered in the middle of an enemy camp. He could not stick around and do much damage to the guy that was screaming the alarm because he would be buried under all the other soldiers that came running.

Kukishinden ryu- a school developed by a wealthy family with a lot of weapons in it. It is known best for its use of the six foot stick and techniques that can be done while wearing heavy armor.

Shinden Fudo ryu- current theme for the year. A very well rounded out art that deals with punching as well as a crude form of grappling.

Takagi Yoshin ryu- a very well developed form of grappling. Much of the end techniques wrap the guy up in a manner that keeps him down while allowing you to drop the hold and run like hell if needed.

Gyokko ryu Koshijutsu- an art that forms the bulk of the training in the Bujinkan. Punches, kicks and throws based on the use of the weaknesses of the body.

Koto ryu koppojutsu- the art that is second in importance to most Bujinkan practicioners. Basically the same in many respects to Gyokko ryu, it tends to be more based on taking advantage of the skeletal system.

Gikan ryu- koppojutsu. Only a little of this has been shown in the Bujinkan and from what I have seen, you really do not need much of it if you have Koto ryu.

Gyokushin ryu- listed as a ninjutsu ryu that has koppojutsu. My latest certificate of rank has it listed as koppojutsu. I have seen a bit of the it during the year of koppojutsu and the best way I can describe being on the receiving end is like being locked in a telephone booth with a rabid wolverine.

Hope this helps.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you so far... and, no, I didn't find the South African website. Probably a case of not quite getting just the right phrasing in a search engine, or giving up before I got deep enough into it. Found some interesting threads on sparring, courtesy, some almost bitter disputes about what is/isn't "legitimate" and more...

Now... let me see if I got the right idea. Each of the 9 traditions could be described as a separate art, in and of itself, with different focuses. Some of them are different takes on the same idea (sort of like Shotokan karate versus Isshin Ryu karate or judo, jujutsu and aikido). Lessons aren't taught as "this is from..."; lessons are just taught, but there's frequently a common thread through the course of a year or some other extended period.

Do I have the right general idea?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now... let me see if I got the right idea. Each of the 9 traditions could be described as a separate art, in and of itself, with different focuses. Some of them are different takes on the same idea (sort of like Shotokan karate versus Isshin Ryu karate or judo, jujutsu and aikido). Lessons aren't taught as "this is from..."; lessons are just taught, but there's frequently a common thread through the course of a year or some other extended period.

Do I have the right general idea?

Sounds like it. There are a lot of similarities between the various arts. I suspect that anything that was a lot different from other arts was dropped as the arts were passed down by the same people over time. But there are important differences if you know what to look for. At the same time, they are Japanese in their feel and execution. And they are similar to a lot of other Japanese arts.

Latest Discussions