We've discussed targeting the biceps and forearms in a fight. But what about the funny bone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
We've all felt it. You hit your elbow, and that numbness sears it all over. Today however, I leaned back in my chair, and hit my elbow with very little force. But I hit my funny bone at such a precise point that my entire forearm from elbow to the tip of my pinky finger went numb for around half a minute.

Are there any techniques to exploit this specific glitch in the human body? Thanks for taking your time on this thread.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Basically you are talking about pressure-point targeting. That's a topic that has been debated a lot over the years. The problem is that it's hard enough to hit the big targets with a resisting opponent, let alone small pin-point targets. And, the effectiveness of hitting pressure-points varies a LOT from person to person, or even with the same person under different conditions (i.e. is he charged up on adrenaline or drugs, etc.).

I think it was the late Sir Terry Pratchet that had one of his Diskworld characters state something to the effect of "Any pressure point works, so long as you apply enough pressure ...like, for example, a ton of falling bricks."

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a very risky thing to do, as you could just get your shin/fist elbowed instead, and that's going to do a lot more damage to you than your opponent. But as geezer said-pressure point targeting, which is basically the idea of taking advantages of those glitches, has been a thing for a very long time, along with the debate around it.

My personal take is that pressure points where it consistently impacts most people, and is either in an area where missing is very unlikely, or missing is fine as it hits something else you'd want to hit anyway, then go for it. But if missing it is just going to hurt you (either physically or your positioning) without any gain, then it's not worth doing in a 'traditional' fight.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
TBH, that is not a practical target. You also need to be in a MA that doesn't wear gloves if you want to employ those kinds of tactics. If you are, shoulders and the clavicle are better targets. The problem is, your opponent will probably start doing the same to you. If you have ever been hit hard enough in the shoulder or clavicle to drop your arm, it is not something you want done to you.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We've all felt it. You hit your elbow, and that numbness sears it all over. Today however, I leaned back in my chair, and hit my elbow with very little force. But I hit my funny bone at such a precise point that my entire forearm from elbow to the tip of my pinky finger went numb for around half a minute.

Are there any techniques to exploit this specific glitch in the human body? Thanks for taking your time on this thread.
The Art of In-Fighting by Frank Klaus. Starting on page 58 is the section "Beating an Opponent by Punching his Gloved Hands or Arms." On page 60 he writes

"The continual punching of a man’s upper arm must, sooner or later, bring on a state of paralysis. As the result of such maulings a boxer will often be forced to retire, actually believing that his arm is broken. A blow on what is known as the “funny bone”—which, by the way, is not a bone at all, but a nerve—produces much the same effect. But as the particular spot in that case is difficult to find, and the seeking for it may mean the wasting of many punches, the in-fighter should turn his attention to the biceps. The rule, therefore, is, that when no other part of an opponent’s body is attackable go for his arms."​

Full text available on my lulu page.
Lulu

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

D

Deleted member 39746

Because it doesnt hurt like that half the times you hit it, and normally requires you to unexpextadly hit something really hard in the right spot to hurt a lot. Actually, i think a nerve end exposes itself on your elbow when you bend it in a certain way, that one pressure point seminair video was to go by. (free ad video they put up)

And i have hit my elboe many times, only about half actually cause me immense pain and beyond a curse i could probbly still sock you in the face. (that and the elbows are used in the defence in many styles and the offence in many others)

Oh while on pressurepoints,i just realsied something my family ahs done for a couple of years is a pressure point. You would pinch the back of the neck to cause immense pain, and if you have done that enough you know its hit and miss.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why would you waste time attempting this when you can just break the arm or shoulder instead? Shoulder and Arm locks are far easier to pull off, and cause far higher levels of immobilization than the pain you're attempting to cause.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why would you waste time attempting this when you can just break the arm or shoulder instead? Shoulder and Arm locks are far easier to pull off, and cause far higher levels of immobilization than the pain you're attempting to cause.
Because that wasn't what he was asking about, Imam Hanzou. Why don't you try answering his question instead of trying to derail it to your personal religion?

Answer his question.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am guessing you are joking here. Have you ever broken someone's arm or shoulder while training? If you have, I don't suspect there will be many people lining to roll with you. The OP's question is about how valid a target the funny bone could be. Although techniques and systems exist that target arms, this point is so small and difficult to find that it is not worth the effort to focus on.

Sure, he could try and break his opponents arm or shoulder but that would more than likely only happen in a grappling scenario and in the constructs of how you perceive the fight to progress. Suffice it to say, there are many things the OP could do in a fight. Targeting the funny bone may not be something he should be spending much if any time doing, imho.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am guessing you are joking here. Have you ever broken someone's arm or shoulder while training? If you have, I don't suspect there will be many people lining to roll with you. The OP's question is about how valid a target the funny bone could be. Although techniques and systems exist that target arms, this point is so small and difficult to find that it is not worth the effort to focus on.

Sure, he could try and break his opponents arm or shoulder but that would more than likely only happen in a grappling scenario and in the constructs of how you perceive the fight to progress. Suffice it to say, there are many things the OP could do in a fight. Targeting the funny bone may not be something he should be spending much if any time doing, imho.
Brace yourself Effie.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I've broken someone's arm in competition and in training. Both times by accident because my partner or opponent tried to do something dumb instead of tapping.

And I was answering OP's question. Going for the funny bone isn't viable, and is a waste of time.

It can also happen in a self defense scenario as well. And yes, there are many things the OP could do in a fight, but aiming for the funny bone or the biceps shouldn't be one of them.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because that wasn't what he was asking about, Imam Hanzou. Why don't you try answering his question instead of trying to derail it to your personal religion?

Answer his question.

Imam? You seem to have a problem with the Islamic faith and the people who practice it. Shameful.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes!
No!
Maybe!
As with all actions the situation is important.
If the range is correct, you having something as a fist load (a knife, a flashlight, a stick or like object) striking the funny bone can be time purchasing action. The thing is, there are several other better suited targets available than the funny bone.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've broken someone's arm in competition and in training. Both times by accident because my partner or opponent tried to do something dumb instead of tapping.

And I was answering OP's question. Going for the funny bone isn't viable, and is a waste of time.

It can also happen in a self defense scenario as well. And yes, there are many things the OP could do in a fight, but aiming for the funny bone or the biceps shouldn't be one of them.
There is no way for me to respond to this without sounding as if I am judging you in any way. Neither of us believes that the funny bone is a target worth pursuing. At the risk of derailing this thread it is probably best to leave it at that.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Imam? You seem to have a problem with the Islamic faith and the people who practice it. Shameful.
Inquisitor Hanzou then. I don't give a shiz. One religious zealot is much like another, and just like you.

Time for you to apply your Purity Test to this thread. :rolleyes:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Inquisitor Hanzou then. I don't give a shiz. One religious zealot is much like another, and just like you.

Time for you to apply your Purity Test to this thread. :rolleyes:

Interesting how you immediately equate religious zealots with muslims and Islam. Says quite a lot actually.

You also do realize that there's a pretty big difference between an Imam and an Inquisitor right?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting how you immediately equate religious zealots with muslims and Islam. Says quite a lot actually.

You also do realize that there's a pretty big difference between an Imam and an Inquisitor right?
Oh, good god. Stop trying to start **** you freaking troll.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As much as I think @Hanzou is a tool, I see his point in this case. An Imam is more akin to a preacher than an insquisitor. While yes, there are some that may be radical, the term itself is not focused at radicals.

I also agree that he's not answering the question, but the response to his comments went in a totally different direction.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As much as I think @Hanzou is a tool, I see his point in this case. An Imam is more akin to a preacher than an insquisitor. While yes, there are some that may be radical, the term itself is not focused at radicals.

I also agree that he's not answering the question, but the response to his comments went in a totally different direction.

He knows. He just (as he says) "doesn't give a ****" if he compares muslim holy men to fanatical Christian executioners, because to him they're one in the same.

Anyway, I did answer the OP's question. I told him its nonsense and he shouldn't do it. If his goal is to immobilize a limb, he's better off going for a joint lock, which would be far easier to perform, and give him much better results.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He knows. He just (as he says) "doesn't give a ****" if he compares muslim holy men to fanatical Christian executioners, because to him they're one in the same.

Anyway, I did answer the OP's question. I told him its nonsense and he shouldn't do it. If his goal is to immobilize a limb, he's better off going for a joint lock, which would be far easier to perform, and give him much better results.

Can't do that in a striking-only competition. Also not a good idea if you're primarily a striker and are fighting someone who is a better grappler than you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions