We're half way done.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just have to get this one off my chest.

Yesterday, I had a family of 3 kids come for an introductory class. I had my assistant run them through things we do on the first day. Afterward, I spoke to their mom. She said the kids had taken TKD before a few years ago. When I asked the kids what rank they attained they said, "we are about half way done." (Meaning half way to BB!) If that wasn't bad enough, my assistant couldn't tell by anything she did with them that they'd ever set foot in a dojang before!

They mom tells me that her older two kids (not one of the 3 who took my class) were both BB's from this other school. I doubt I'd get these older ones as students because, well, they're done:barf:

Strange days indeed.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hear ya Iceman..

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
But isn't that the way it's supposed to be? Now that the older kids are done, they won't have to practice or learn anything else for the rest of their lives. A black belt confers the owner with that special magic of lifetime retention.;)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We all know a BB is the entire journey that is why I am a forever white belt...

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The sad part to me is that they spent a few years in a dojang that either didn't try to change this perception or encouraged this perception, somehow. Even from a business standpoint, why would you discourage students to stick with it as long as they can?

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been in many TKD schools and have noticed a very wide range of training techniques. If the kids came out of a belt factory and spent the whole time testing for rank and not worrying about retention, this doesnt' surprise me at all.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I betcha dollars to doughnuts that's the language that used at their prior dojang. When a student, especially a child, with a high gupt rank was getting frustrated, they were probably told "hang in there, you're almost done" or something like that.

I wouldn't get too upset with Mom for this (not saying that you are), it sounds like Mom doesn't train and doesn't really have a full understanding of how a black belt is just the beginning. I don't either, for that matter. Hopefully, if the kids get closer to black, they will have a better understanding. I know if they stick with you, the definitely will. :asian:

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Don't let it get you down Iceman. You are going to see this kind of crap every once in a while. You're a top notch instructor and I know that your student base is also top notch.​