Well… There goes another one...

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That`s for sure. I don`t do Tai Chi, but one of the best teachers I ever had was a demanding, critical old bastard. Nothing I ever did was good enough, until one day after I`d been with him a few years I overheard him critiquing another student and he said "What`s wrong with you? It`s not that hard. Whatch the way Dave does it, he knows what he`s doing." All I could do was smile. I was so happy I was speechless. Then he looked at me and said "Don`t get cocky,you`re still too slow."

I miss that old SOB, but only sometimes.

The first time my Taiji sifu told me my form was good I was shocked. After years of correction and telling me to go deeper or do this different I was finally good at something. And then I began to worry...but it was all good, he started telling me some of the other forms needed work and I felt better :D

My Sanda sifu was not one to give out any complements at all. He would tell me to practice a certain type of kick, I would practicve it for a week and every time I went to show him he always said...need more practice... or...not so good. Heck I bounced once in Tuishou and he said you should have done that sooner.

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oh there is a magic key. It's just an unpleasant pill to swallow for most people. It's called hard work and lots of muscle pain. Oh and LOTS of repetition.

it's the point.
no hard no soft.and i believe hardness is basic.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd like to interpret "hard" as "difficult" in that case.

AidanO

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well in my original post, yes. Hard work, doesn't mean your techniques are hard. They might be complex, and physically draining to learn and difficult.

I guess it was just a communication error.

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well in my original post, yes. Hard work, doesn't mean your techniques are hard. They might be complex, and physically draining to learn and difficult.

I guess it was just a communication error.

:duh:, misunderstanding!

i also agree with you about hard work, not training with hardness.

jonpalombi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

I concur Aidan,

There is a distinct difference between that which is a hard; difficult or challenging task or achievement... and that which embodies hardness (like stone, wood, metal or external martial systems). Training oneself to move from the dantian and work to release the tension that limits our flexibility, is really hard work!!! Something as simple as standing can be a tremendously hard task. It's a long journey to take and however many steps we take, the next one is still the very first. Life grants us an opportunity to train ourselves to channel Qi and understand it's essence. Like you imply, the degree is difficult, when one's aim is high.

It is the greatest accomplishment, to train with this kind of intensity and vigor, which is ideally rewarded by a breakthrough experience. While the internal arts are essentially soft, they are combat arts and there is nothing fluffy or easy about them. Even the flow must be learned and re-learned, as we grow in our depth of understanding, eh? Human willpower is the fuel which fires this drive. I believe one can have a primary lineage and spend a lifetime delving into it's depth, certainly. I also feel we can study other forms and gain insights into both, alternate movements and universal truths. I don't see this as a phase or an immature level of enthusiasm. It's been my way for over 40 years. From my heart, it is not "collecting forms" or something like that... it's a very deep commitment to the arts. This requires a clear perspective and an attitude of respect, obedience and admiration.

Any superficial study of multiple systems will result in a messy glue of an understanding. That being said, I can understand someone's desire to embrace several sword forms from related traditions. Like yourself, I am Yang student with a deep love of Chen taijiquan, Hsing-I and Baguazhang. To say nothing of Wudang sword and Shaolin jian forms. Obviously too much to learn in two lifetimes but still they are most intriguing systems.

Now, if the pill is bitter to swallow, it is because we feel the pain and exhaustion that accompany this path. The way may be soft but the training is tough, if followed to a dedicated degree. Still, consider the rewards! To fully merge oneself with the martial system of our lineage, gives life to the tradition, even as the tradition gives life to oneself. The method and the practitioner have an undeniable, symbiotic relationship.

Kudos to those who embrace the spirit of the warrior way and dedicate themselves to the countless hours, days, years... of their chosen practice. Which, in and of itself, takes a whole lifetime. After all, this is an endless journey (with ever expanding horizons). Too much ambition is like any other obsession, it results in overload and is less than optimum for the student. One step at a time...

Ciao, Jon

Last edited: