Well more info.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Today after seeing my Doc. and talking about everything, he said to go back to a light workout routine and for my own good health I need to loose around 120lbs over the next year. that breaks down to 10 lbs a month so any advise beside what has already has been said. I know eat less and burn more - smaller portions and also staying away from Dr. Pepper for a few months. I need a person to really work with and be able to push me but understand my health issue and that is always hard to find. I have interviewed 3 personal trainers and did not like any of them, mainly because I know more than they do. What is the best way of finding a workout person?

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, Terry.

I too recommend going through medical channels so both your nutrition and exercise programs are built with an understanding of your medical situation. This is too important to leave to amateurs and it's also not to be done piecemeal--your people need to communicate so they talk with your doctor(s) and vice versa. You need a team approach.

In our area, larger hospitals and universities are often affiliated with big fitness centers where classes and physical therapy are conducted. You might look for such a facility as part of your treatment.

Your future is riding on this. Don't be satisfied with less than the best.

Regards,
Carl

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry, of course you know more ... but the problem is you don't *live* more.

Before I say anything more, please know I only type this in interest of helping you.

You are going to have to humble yourself enough to let someone else help you regain your health. You may know it - but you're not living it. You need the help to lose the weight. You're not going to like it and you're not going to like whomever steps up to help you - but you need to do it anyway.

You deserve this.

You know what you need to do. Now let someone help you focus on doing it.

Love ya, man!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, Terry.

I too recommend going through medical channels so both your nutrition and exercise programs are built with an understanding of your medical situation. This is too important to leave to amateurs and it's also not to be done piecemeal--your people need to communicate so they talk with your doctor(s) and vice versa. You need a team approach.

In our area, larger hospitals and universities are often affiliated with big fitness centers where classes and physical therapy are conducted. You might look for such a facility as part of your treatment.

Your future is riding on this. Don't be satisfied with less than the best.

Regards,
Carl

EXACTLY

I forgot to add see if your MD can recommend a Sports Medicine Professional to my last post and Carl's post was the proverbial smack to the side of the head I needed to get the old brain to work. :D

Disco

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well how can I put this as not to offend? I really can't but if it offends, the thoughts are intended for the right reasons.

Terry, your a martial arts instructor, Been at it for a long time and learned and taught a lot. So what's the big deal here..........it's your health and YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO........JUST DO IT!!..........

Want something done right?!.......Do it yourself!.......Old saying but true....

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I too would echo Carl's post. Your doctor should be consulted and have input on each step of this journey.

Best of luck!!!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I am sure you will do what you need to do. The only thing I can offer you is to cut out all sugar. Tougher than it sounds and it will be hard, but If you can cut all the sugar out you will see some dramatic results.

You will need a nutritionist though. Even try that nutrasystem system. I hear it works pretty well.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Today after seeing my Doc. and talking about everything, he said to go back to a light workout routine and for my own good health I need to loose around 120lbs over the next year. that breaks down to 10 lbs a month so any advise beside what has already has been said. I know eat less and burn more - smaller portions and also staying away from Dr. Pepper for a few months. I need a person to really work with and be able to push me but understand my health issue and that is always hard to find. I have interviewed 3 personal trainers and did not like any of them, mainly because I know more than they do. What is the best way of finding a workout person?

Well thats nice news Terry, we are in the same boat I need to loose around 23-25 kilograms that's about 50 lbs not as much as you need to loose but believe it's gona be a nightmare to me too.

I am working out again last week I went dojang/dojo 4 times and doing kenpo again plus the tkd clases.

I know waht are you talking about the personal traineers, so I will recomend to hire the best you can afford and start easy my friend, it's better one step at a time than runing and hurt yourself.

I am glad for you, cause you don't have to get rid of you passion fro the TKD.

Manny

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you need to find a trainer who not necessarily knows more, but has the ability to kick your behind into gear.
Maybe you need to go a little off the beaten track, Pilates, or something similar different from what are you used to.

As to the dietary issue, maybe you need to find a nutrionist tomput you on a very strict exclusion diet for a week or two, not so much clary wise but as means to cleanse your taste buds. Once you have done without a certain flavor, you will find it interesting how easily you can go without it.
(but don't fall for the weird cravings: something like ice cream, fried 3egg, topped with mustard and skittles ;) had to do a spell without almost everything worth craving...I had the wildest fantasies about it) :D

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well let me say one thing nobody has insulted me at all and Shesulsa you are right I need help getting there. I amgoing to talk to my Doctor in the morning and will ask him if he could recommend someone to me. Thanks for all the replys.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll jump on board here and say that getting your various providers coordinated is crucial. Sounds like you definitely need a personal trainer and a nutritionist (preferably who coordinate with each other).

However, when shopping around for a personal trainer, I feel it is lees important that he/she have more knowledge than you, but rather that they can develop a strong relationship with you.

you need someone that you respect. Someone who respects you. Someone whose opinion you care about...that will motivate you to work. their respect for you will makes sure they keep your best interests in m,ind as they help you with this transformation.

i got myself a trainer a little over a year ago. he's attached to my PCP's office as well as my chiro. I came in knowing a lot about lifting...but he taught me some new stuff (kettlebells)...more importantly, we've become friends. I see him once a wekk...he kicks my butt, he motivates me to keep doing what I'm doing. If I slack off, he tells me so. when I do good, he praises me. I care about what he thinks. As a result, I'm stronger and fitter now than i was a year ago. heck, I'm in better shape in my late 30's than I was in my 20's.

Bottom line, shop around, don't settle. But if you come across someone who you like, don't pass them up because they're younger, less experienced MA-wise or whatever...give 'em a shot and see if that crucial therapeutic relationship develops.

Peace,
Erik

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I got some numbers of some talented folks and have my first sit down with the trainer/Nutritionist. He is young but what I found out is he likes what he is doing and said he is here for me. That is the kind of thing I like to hear, not once did he mention that is was young and that I may know more to me. The other thing he said that I liked was he does not care if I whine and cry we will finish everything I start for that session no-matter how long it takes at no extra charge, he will meet me three times a week for the first month and then only once. He also said he can respect me for what I know and would appreciate any advice I had after each sessions and that if I believe I need to change a few things because of my age and health I can forget about it because he is my trainer not me, that was a very good point. When we meet on Thursday I will let everyone know how it went, I am really liking his attitude already noexcuses for getting results.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He sounds like he could be it, just what the doctor ordered!

Good Luck!

Latest Discussions