Weight

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Bill, Steve,

Take it off line guys. It's getting old.
Point taken. I'm embarrassed and very sorry.

Getting back on to the topic of the thread, Malleus, you mentioned cutting weight. I don't cut weight, but I do train with a number of people who routinely do so. I see that you train in MMA, so maybe you've heard of Stefan Kesting. If not, he's a guy up in Vancouver BC who runs Grapplearts.com. Very cool guy and good teacher.

He has an article here on cutting weight for tournaments: http://www.grapplearts.com/How-to-Cut-Weight.html

Also read the related articles at the bottom of that page.

Another tremendous nutritional book is the grapplers guide to sports nutrition. While a large section is devoted to cutting weight in a healthy manner, this is really a book about increasing explosive strength, energy and overall health: http://www.grapplersnutrition.com/

This is a pdf/online book that is well worth the small amount of money being asked.

Ultimately, if you at all enjoy eating, any kind of sports diet is going to require a lot of discipline, as it becomes very clinical. Feeding opportunities (not meals any more) are strictly the times when you refuel your body. If you enjoy the taste, that's kind of a byproduct.

I am also happy to share plenty of anecdotal information about cutting weight, but mainly I just want to say be smart about it. If you do want to cut weight, be realistic and don't endanger your health.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it also depends on whether you compete.
I am cutting weight, and I have a target weight in mind that I know I could reach without getting into single digit fat percentages. But I don't have to look at weight divisions and which of them I am going to compete in.

So 5 pounds either way of that target is not making any difference to me, and if additional weight is lean muscle mass, then to me it doesn't make a difference because it doesn't matter in what I do. Otoh if you compete, then your weight does become a very different factor and I think that this can indeed take all the fun out of your eating habits.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think it also depends on whether you compete.
I am cutting weight, and I have a target weight in mind that I know I could reach without getting into single digit fat percentages. But I don't have to look at weight divisions and which of them I am going to compete in.

So 5 pounds either way of that target is not making any difference to me, and if additional weight is lean muscle mass, then to me it doesn't make a difference because it doesn't matter in what I do. Otoh if you compete, then your weight does become a very different factor and I think that this can indeed take all the fun out of your eating habits.
Good point, Bruno. I should have made clear the distinction between "cutting" weight and "losing" weight in my post.

Shifu Steve

Green Belt
Reaction score
I currently weight 205 at 6'1". I have been as heavy as 240lbs mostly from power lifting. I dropped down to 195 when I first began training in JuJitsu because I found the extra muscle didn't really do anything for me since the techniques were based on physics and geometry, not brute force. I can't really say that being bigger and stronger doesn't have its value because it obviously does. However strength and size are only as useful as their employment. If a smaller leaner fighter utilizes velocity and acceleration more effectively than they could potentially generate more force.

I have always been a proponent of finding a functional body weight. I define functional by one where you can move easily, be healthy and feel strong. You may not look good by American standards maintaining a functional body weight but that's aesthetics. Look at Sammo Hung in Enter The Dragon. He looked pudgy but was doing backwards hand springs and probably could have beaten the very ripped Bruce Lee in a real contest.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
6' 250lbs.

I'm working on trimming down a little, but honestly, I'm worried more about being fit that what weight I'm at.

Oh, and BMI is garbage.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, it most certainly is - tho' in my case I have undeniably gotten fat since I settled down and quit smoking :eek:. The point being that I don't need BMI to see that - a big belly speaks eloquent volumes :D.

5rings

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm 5'6" & I was for yrs weighed in at about 195.....though I felt better with energy tranfer (punching power) at 200 - 205....as I carried & move the extra weight fairly well for my height.... Though I've loss about 25 pounds in the past 6 weeks....in preparation for My first AFF Skydive Jump in May & I'm now down to !70-175.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Aye, it most certainly is - tho' in my case I have undeniably gotten fat since I settled down and quit smoking :eek:. The point being that I don't need BMI to see that - a big belly speaks eloquent volumes :D.

Dude...you do JSA's, its almost mandatory to have a belly, it helps your cuts, your centre and your balance...you will never get your 5th dan without one....:angel:

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm approximately 5'8" (maybe a bit over that) and weigh 156 lbs as of yesterday. I cut out simple carbs and have lost about 14 lbs over the last 3-4 weeks. At 170, I was having too much trouble getting off the ground for pushups and jumping kicks. I was also having trouble fitting into my favorite clothes. Working on getting down to 150; that's my goal weight. When I weigh less, I'm faster and more limber, but I'm easier to knock over when I spar. I prefer the speed and agility.

baughman

White Belt
Reaction score
I quit smoking and Muay THai. 6 years ago at 5'10" 198. I noticed I was gaining alot of weight, but figured meh. Had a few heart problems last year. Got tested and weighed in at 256! weeeeeeeee.
Thought about taking up smoking agian, trade the heart attack back for lung cancer. Took up balintawak instead got down to 219 a few months ago, but have crept back up to 234 at the moment.

so I guess my short/long answer is

5'10" 234

Latest Discussions