Wedding Photography

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, we're aiming to launch this fall. Gives us a little time to get a few pieces of gear and refine our technique. Will probably aim for smaller weddings initially and work as a team. Waiting to hear back from our insurance guy on what if any additional coverage we need.
I know I probably don't need to say this... but talk to wedding photographers in your area. Figure out what the typical pics taken are, and put a menu of sorts together. Then add some that you've learned work well (like the profile shots, which several of us have liked) that aren't on the "normal" groupings, and include them. And go to some of the churches in your area, and get an idea what'll work there so that you're not figuring it out on the day of the wedding... In most Catholic churches, you want to make friends with the sacristans; they're the people who actually run lots of what happens in the church. (Often, but far from exclusively, they're little old ladies... and they make a nun's control over a classroom seem sloppy.)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know I probably don't need to say this... but talk to wedding photographers in your area. Figure out what the typical pics taken are, and put a menu of sorts together. Then add some that you've learned work well (like the profile shots, which several of us have liked) that aren't on the "normal" groupings, and include them. And go to some of the churches in your area, and get an idea what'll work there so that you're not figuring it out on the day of the wedding... In most Catholic churches, you want to make friends with the sacristans; they're the people who actually run lots of what happens in the church. (Often, but far from exclusively, they're little old ladies... and they make a nun's control over a classroom seem sloppy.)

You. Ain't. Kiddin'.

Just another pointer...since churches have closed and merged, there are many cases of priests and sacristans covering more than one church....esp. as you get further out of the city. This can mean a lot to schedule, and a lot to do, and sometimes a frayed nerve here or there...depending on how thinly stretched everyone is. If you set up a time to visit, your time is locked in.....unless there is a funeral. When setting up an appointment, make sure the church has your cell phone and can call if an emergency arises.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Again, I can only speak in-depth for Catholic churches, though I've heard stories of others that suggest it probably holds true for them, too.

But the nice thing is that many Catholic churches in my area have some of this spelled out in handouts for couples looking to get married. Just ask at the rectory... That and the church itself is generally open during the day for visits. Be respectful (I'm not worried about you, Bob, but who knows who else will read this), and you can almost certainly at least go in and do a recon walk through with a light meter and to get ideas ahead of time. The odds are pretty good that you'll even be able to take some sort of set up or trial pictures, especially if you offer to share them with the parish...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Again, I can only speak in-depth for Catholic churches, though I've heard stories of others that suggest it probably holds true for them, too.

But the nice thing is that many Catholic churches in my area have some of this spelled out in handouts for couples looking to get married. Just ask at the rectory... That and the church itself is generally open during the day for visits. Be respectful (I'm not worried about you, Bob, but who knows who else will read this), and you can almost certainly at least go in and do a recon walk through with a light meter and to get ideas ahead of time. The odds are pretty good that you'll even be able to take some sort of set up or trial pictures, especially if you offer to share them with the parish...

I've made it a point to be there for the rehearsal and make sure I speak to the priest / minister officiating. They each have their own list of rules, and it does not pay to get on their bad side. Some don't permit flash. Some don't permit you to move around too much during the Mass (for Catholics). Some do not want photos of the Consecration of the Host (again, Catholics). Letting them know what kind of equipment you'll be hauling in, where you'll be setting it up, and such will go a long way towards making friends who can help you later (with referrals, access, and so on). As to the purely mechanical aspects, yes, it helps to have a recce ahead of time, get the meter readings, look for vantage points, etc. Find out what sort of lighting they'll have during the service, and what the light looks like coming through the windows during the time the wedding will be held. It's all good to have ahead of time. Playing it by ear can be bad.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Couple more shots. I'm editing slowly as I've got a full r&d schedule as well as a few paid jobs in the works right now that are taking priority. But, a few here n there breaks my day up. :)

I tried one artsy one. Let me know how the blacks and shadows look on your ends please. My screens really bright so often what looks ok on my ends seeming dark on others ends.

Danke. :)

Attachments

• $web_3891.jpg
    $web_3891.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 165
  • $web_3804.jpg
    $web_3804.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 174
  • $web_3827.jpg
    $web_3827.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 169

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I get where you're going with the bouquet shot -- but it doesn't really work for me. It makes the flowers the centerpiece, instead of the bridal party. And it makes the ladies look rather pale and wan by comparison... (Which I'm sure wasn't your intent!)

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The shadows look MUCH better in these shots Bob!

Tone down the flowers a little bit in the selective colored photo as well...and make sure you are mindful of your background...there is a tree growing out of Olivia's head and also one of her bridesmaids!! LOL

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shots one and two of the latest batch are winners, Bob. The other has solvable problems as has been noted earlier.