WEC 44 postfight: Roller overcomes challenge in and out of cage

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
11-19-2009 02:00 PM:

Jose Aldo Jr. was the star of the night at WEC 44. He entered the cage with a calm demeanor and took apart Mike Brown in a one-sided battle. It wasn't so easy for Shane Roller in his lightweight fight against Danny Castillo. Roller was likely trailing going into the final two and a half minutes of the match when he pulled off a great submission.

"When I got on top there in the third, I knew I had to finish the fight," Roller told Cagewriter just after the fight. "I thought I was going to punch just like I did in the second, when I did his chin popped up and I sunk in the choke. Heard him kind of grunt a little bit so I just gave it all the squeeze I had and finished the fight."

Once the win was in hand, Roller was faced with another challenge. The dreaded postfight urine test. It's not easy to produce a sample after battling for 10-15 minutes.

"I downed four bottles of water in about five minutes back there. You have to make it past the line. I peed three times and finally made it past."

Roller said his trainer Marc Laimon even used mind tricks by turning on the shower.

Roller says he's ready to be in the WEC lightweight title mix. He'd love the winner of Ben Henderson and Jamie Varner.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.