Wearing of a wakazashi/katana

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
pgsmith and Cryozombie

Thanks for the info.
Having spent all my time in karate (shorin and goju) I realy have no knowledge of your art (ninjitsu? Taijutsu?)

You know enough to call it Taijutsu! :cheers::cheers:

masterloki

White Belt
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how would you wear those with that uniform? I'm no ninja, but at the very least it seems an interesting question? can it be donw correctly, and where would I be able to buy an obi? or are there sewing patterns that someone can give me for that? I'll also need Hakama, and the other parts of that uniform... (I'm interested very much in Bushido, or kendo [whichever is the correct term]) and what does Haidong mean... sorry to ask so many questons, but I'm such a noob it's not even funny

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't be afraid to ask questions! Thats why the forum is here.

Haidong is a Korean term that translates to something akin to "energy of the eastern sun"

Hai Dong Gum Do is a Korean swordfighting art.

As far as a uniform, what to do and wear completely depends on what instructor. I've seen some patterns about, but all traditional schools have some requirement as to what sort fo uniform the students must wear. Some require the students to purchase (or be given) all of the attire, including an obi, from the school.

A Marine is not expected to show up to basic training on the first day with a full set of uniforms, rank insignia, and weapons. Likewise, a swordfighter is not expected to show up on the first day of training with a full hakuma, obi, and katana. The student is taught what the expectations and customs are of the school, and then takes the appropriate action to follow suit.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Masterloki that was some very good advice from Carol. Just find a good instructor that can teach you the proper way to train with the sword.
If you do that you will not be disapointed.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how would you wear those with that uniform? I'm no ninja, but at the very least it seems an interesting question? can it be donw correctly, and where would I be able to buy an obi?

Ok, I'm gonna take a stab (haha) at this... um, well first, those two swords wouldnt be worn togther... seperate tools for seperate jobs, one more traditional, and one from a specific school, the Togakure-ryu. They would, in most cases be worn at the left hip, like you see in Samurai movies, not on the back like ninja flicks.

As far as the Obi goes... you can get them from a lot of sources. Google it and Im sure you will find one. I bought mine from an instructor at a seminar, so...

masterloki

White Belt
Reaction score
I was asking about wakazashi/Katana actually.... I figured the back wasn't the best place for the saya... but do you just shove the saya into the obi, or is there a way to tie the saya to the obi using the sageo? I know that the sageo is normally used for tying back the sleeves of the top of the uniform (name?) also, as far as dojos go... thank you all so much for posting so many links... very helpful

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
but do you just shove the saya into the obi, or is there a way to tie the saya to the obi using the sageo?

Yes.

There are numerous ways of keeping the sword at the left side. Just shoving it in and looping the cord, various ways of tying and even special holders. Different schools had different ways with their own advantages and disadvantages.

masterloki

White Belt
Reaction score
so, if I just slip it into the obi, and keep my left hand on the saya (thumb on the tsuba) that's would be one "correct" way of doing it?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
so, if I just slip it into the obi, and keep my left hand on the saya (thumb on the tsuba) that's would be one "correct" way of doing it?

In theory...

Now what you SHOULD be asking yourself is... How DO you tie an Obi?

masterloki

White Belt
Reaction score
that I can find out in a book I have called Iai The Art of Drawing The Sword (by Darrell Craig)

socho

White Belt
Reaction score
is the obi on your waist or your hips? inside or outside of the hakama? sword into which loop of the obi? where in relation to your hip/waist? How far forward and at what angle? Thumb where on the tsuba, and how much of it? Index finger helping? Each style has very specific requirements. Easy enough to figure out something that works, doesn't mean it will be 'right'. :)
And there are at least a half-dozen different ways to tie the sageo. It is not "normally" used to tie back the sleeves, although it can be. Some styles (mostly not linked to Japan) seem to do that, apparently mostly for the 'cool' factor. One thing to see a senior practitioner in a formal montsuki wear the tasuke (cord to tie back the sleeves, not a sageo) for a demo, not the same thing as deciding it is part of your training 'uniform'. Be careful out there, lots of strange things going on. The Dallas groups mentioned all have clear lines to their parent groups in Japan, something to look for, IMO. Depends on what you want.

Dave

Walter Wong

Green Belt
Reaction score
A tasuki as I understand it is any cord that can tie up kimono sleeves and is not specificly a type of a material. If sageo is convienant, then a sageo is used. Some people use rope or nylon cord or even a long enough shoe lace for tasuki. I believe Toby Threadgill Sensei of Takamura ha Shindo Yoshin Ryu clarified this somewhere in the bugei messege board.

I wouldn't say sageo for tasuki is for a cool factor but if a sageo is most convienant for a swordsman to tie up the sleeves, then a sageo is used. For instance in Nami Ryu we typically remove the sageo from our kurigata because we don't tie it to our himo cord and just end up using it as a ulitarian cord to tie up our sleeves. For probably someone who is a seasoned climber, may just use some climbing rope for tasuki. I believe either Threadgill Sensei or Dimytri at the bugei messege board mentioned that braided paper is sometimes used as well for tasuki.

With the variety of options for tasuki, anything (combined with the cord of convienance and personal preference) can be used for tying to get kimono sleeves out of the way.

Latest Discussions