katana help for a college freshman

J

jjanke

I originally posted this in the beginner's corner, but was told it might be better here as well.

I was wondering about katana fighting. I have been in taekwondo for 3 months and really enjoy it, capoeira too, but I would like to do something additionally with katanas. Real metal ones.

I am unfamiliar with katana arts but have seen-heard of Iaido, Korean Gumdo, and Kenjitsu. Please mention others I don't know of.

I want: To not wear gear and armor when fighting, what I mean is little or no focus on sparring. I get enough of that in taekwondo.
I would like one that maybe focuses on forms or set moves, nifty looking swings and maybe some turning around over the head chopping, spinning, or just neat "moves" with a katana. Something that will really teach me how to handle the weapon.

Ideally it would be something I could practice on my own with a wooden one or something.
Being at Notre Dame means my choice is gumdo, but if I can find a way to get to Chicago a lot my options open up.
I apologize for the length and number of topics in this post. Please choose whatever you would like to respond to. Thanks,
Joe

OP
H

Hyaku

"Real katana fighting"? Wow, Sparring with real blades! I think you may have to increase your medication. At least it wont hurt so much when you lose an arm.

OP
J

jjanke

No not sparring. or very little. I don't want one that focuses on sparring. It would be fine for a hypothetical opponent type air-sparring, but I don't want gumdo style sparring.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like kenjutsu is what you're looking for. You could also look into iaido, which is actually more active than you might think.

Keep in mind, though, that unlike what the movies will have you believe, Japanese sword arts aren't about big, flashy movements - that's a far more Chinese thing. Japanese sword arts, and Japanese martial arts in general are very strongly into strength through simplicity.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eldritch Knight said:
Sounds like kenjutsu is what you're looking for. You could also look into iaido, which is actually more active than you might think.

Keep in mind, though, that unlike what the movies will have you believe, Japanese sword arts aren't about big, flashy movements - that's a far more Chinese thing. Japanese sword arts, and Japanese martial arts in general are very strongly into strength through simplicity.
Southern Chinese sword work is pretty bare bones. It gets to the point & moves on quick... not unlike Japanese in that thought. There's more to it than just that, but not all CMA weapons work is modern wushu or movie fu that we are all used to seeing in mass media.

OP
J

jjanke

I realize that there probably isn't a "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" style or a "Kill Bill" style... :ultracool

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi.

Based on your opening post I would say some form of Iaido. Kenjutsu Dojo are few and far between,so you might have better luck with Iaido. As EK pointed out,Iaido is very much an "active" art,and one that will fit perfectly into your practice requirements.

On a campus as big as ND,I would be very surprised if there were not some Iaidoka there.Failing that,try to see if there is an Aikido class around,it's been said that a lot of Aikidoka also practice Iaido "on the side" :wink: so you might have some luck there. Good luck!

OP
J

jjanke

About the Chinese thing, I'm really not attached to a certain culture, I care more about the art.

On campus there is WTF taekwondo, jiujitsu, aikido, judo, capoeira angola, and that is it. All the classes are very small, people here just don't seem to want to do this stuff. Or maybe they entertain a false sense of security. :idunno:

Slightly off campus-biking distance away there is hapkido and korean gumdo.
I think I might try Iaido. The more I read about it the more I like it.
There is no class around that I know of, but there is a near black belt in my dorm. So maybe he could help me.
Finally, does anyone know where I can see Iaido in action? Internet searches for Iaido clips are worthless. Thanks.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't know that Iaido is right for you either. You appear to be looking for something flashy that you can add to your other arts. Iaido is not about flash. One instructor that I had the oppurtunity to train with recently mentioned that watching Iai should not be like watching paint dry, but like watching dry paint. What he meant by that is that we should not be adding anything to the waza to make them look more aggressive or flashy. The waza are what they are. Short, simple, and to the point. You gotta remember the other guy has a 30 inch razor blade too and he intends to split you stem to stern. There is literally 0 margin of error. As a result, the "overhead chops" are not "nifty" looking and there is no "spinning". There should be nothing that runs the risk of telegraphing your intentions either.

If you want "nifty", "spinning" and "chopping", you don't need instruction. You can make up your own easily enough and join an XMA tournament.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Adding to what Mr. Mahan said, a lot of people tend to have an inaccurate view on what sword arts are supposed to be based on how the media, specifically movies, portrays them. If you want a realistic view of how eastern sword arts are like, I'd recommend taking kendo (or kumdo, in your case) for 3 months. At the end of that period you'll have gained a good understanding of what sword is about, and you can make an informed decision about whether or not to pursue them on your own.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Iaido is not about flash

Charles..you're such a purist,I love it! I must have heard this phrase a gajillion times!

the "overhead chops" are not "nifty" looking and there is no "spinning".

"Nifty looking" is exactly what draws people to the sword arts,the truth is realized through instruction.

If you want "nifty", "spinning" and "chopping", you don't need instruction

I would rather this poor guy study with someone reputable,and gain his own insights,than run around "making stuff up",no? That's why we have so many charlatans running around in the first place,agreed?

OP
R

Ronald R. Harbers

JJanke: Grab a wooden sword. Learn the basics. If you can have someone show you, Great. Practice hard. When you think your arms cannot move another cut, do 10 more cuts. I suggest a heavy Suburito.

OP
J

jjanke

Thanks to everyone who replied. Through my own research and this forum I may have learned a few things about what I'm looking for, and its purpose. I will attend a few Iaido classes in Chicago to see what it is like, but I think I do like it.