Wearing of a wakazashi/katana

Diamotsu

White Belt
Reaction score
I have recently acquired a new wakazashi, and katana set from my sensei in Okinawa. It was a birthday present, but he never taught me how to properly wear them.
I was wondering if someone could tell me how to wear katana with my shinobi shozuku, and how to properly fasten them to myself

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have recently acquired a new wakazashi, and katana set from my sensei in Okinawa. It was a birthday present, but he never taught me how to properly wear them.
I was wondering if someone could tell me how to wear katana with my shinobi shozuku, and how to properly fasten them to myself

First. Get an Obi. Can't wear it right without an Obi.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admirable restraint gentlemen :).

It may well be a genuine query from a new student of a serious art ... but I scent ninja's in the breeze.

Sorry Diamotsu if I'm doing you a disservice but a qualified instructor would not (or should not) be handing out swords to a student until such time as that student is ready to start learning.

The first lesson in any sword art is how to put the weapon on and how to 'wear' it.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hello Diamotsu,
I am sorry, but it's time for a few painful truths to help you understand why people are giving you such a hard time. First the truths ... you DON'T have a sensei in Okinawa. You DON'T have a "first don" in ninjutsu as your profile says you do. Shinobi shozuku are found in movies, anime, and those few "dojo" that teach made up "ninja" stuff to those silly suburban kids that believe that it's true. Most of those that post here are serious martial artists, and so have very little tolerance for any silly "ninja" playacting. Now for some good to attempt to offset what I just said ... there are some decent places that can teach skills that can be referred to as ninjutsu, although the organizations themselves don't refer to it that way. The Bujinkan and the Genbukan are two organizations that can do this, but the quality and knowledge of the instructor can vary widely from one dojo to another so a prospective student needs to be extremely careful. I used to include the Jinenkan along with the other two groups until they allowed one of their dojo cho to go on TV and hack up a side of beef (and poorly at that) as an entertainment side show. There are also many legitimate schools of the Japanese sword arts in the U.S., which wasn't the case only a decade or so ago.

So, if you'll tell us the area of the country in which you live, perhaps someone here can point you toward some legitimate instruction in the Japanese arts. And don't wear or play with your swords. Chances are very good that they are only meant for decoration, and so can be extremely dangerous if swung around.

Good luck!

OP
D

Diamotsu

White Belt
Reaction score
This isn't a playacting thing for me... i am a serious practicinoer of ninjutsu, and I don't appreciate being patronized. My sensei is now in Okinawa because his mother was sick, and he sent them to me as a decorative gift... I wanted to wear them with my shinobi shozuku, and take a picture to send him to perhaps bring him a little joy in his troubled times. There was never any intention of playacting, it was supposed to be a joke between the two of us, byt never mind, apparently no one on this forum appreciates a jest

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
apparently no one on this forum appreciates a jest

No one here likes being lied to like you are.

You come on line and expect us to help you learn how to wear your toy swords so that you can then set yourself up as a master teacher of ninjutsu to unsuspecting people in the future. Well, we aren't going to help you fool other people and we do not respect people who lie to us.

In case you have not noticed, I live in Japan and I study what some people call ninjutsu. And I can see right through your story and tell what type of person you are. You think you are the first kid to try this sort of thing?

You won't get any help from the people here. There are problems with your story that everyone here can see, but we are not going to tell you what they are so that you can try it again somewhere else. You had your chance and you blew it.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
There was never any intention of playacting, it was supposed to be a joke between the two of us, byt never mind, apparently no one on this forum appreciates a jest

You didn't present the question as a "joke" so.... I don't belive it was intended as a joke, but exactly what it was first put forth as, you were called on it and now it becomes a joke. Not a very good beginning here actually.

As for no one here liking a good joke, jest, or humor; are you serious? Just look through the threads, this is a very fun loving group, but also a very serious group when it comes to training and handing out advice.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I for one love jokes. I love them so much that I tell people that I am a sexy beast all the time. This usually sets any crowd into an uproar that just lightens any room.

As far as people saying they are what they are not, well we used to send people in the Marines to the brig for wearing rank/ribbons or medals they did not rate. SO I don't think that anyone should ask what side of the fence I am on.

There seem to be strange things afoot at the circle K. I'm out.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:applause: and a rousing "Huzzar!" to one and all (particularly Dons excellent, blunt, summation of the situation).

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My questions is why would your Sensei send you a wakazashi/katana if you are studying Ninjitsu? Why not give you a ninja-to? (is that the right word?)

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mod. Note.
Please, keep the conversation polite and respectful.

-Jeff Johnson-
-MT Moderator-

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This isn't a playacting thing for me... i am a serious practicinoer of ninjutsu, and I don't appreciate being patronized.
Sigh ... very well then, have it your way. I tried to help you out and give you the opportunity to begin real training, and start over on a better footing here on Martial Talk forum. However, it is pretty obvious just from the little bit you've said in your two posts, that you have no real knowledge or experience in the Japanese arts. Inventing things for yourself may fly on MySpace, but it's really hard to fake your way on a forum populated with experienced martial artists.

Good luck to you, and contact me if you are interested in some legitimate training. There are opportunities not too far from you.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My questions is why would your Sensei send you a wakazashi/katana if you are studying Ninjitsu? Why not give you a ninja-to? (is that the right word?)
Hi Haze,
The ninjato (that was the correct word) is actually a Hollywood invention. There is no historical basis for it. It is only used in those few "dojo" that I referred to earlier that are teaching ninja stuff to suburban kids.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually Haze, I was wondering the same thing. Why would a Ninja wear the Daisho?

Ninja-to aren't real. The closest thing I've seen in training to a Ninja-to is the katana used by The Togakure-ryu which has a Tsuka and Saya that are approxamately the same length as a "normal" Katana (i know there is no real "normal" standard) but a Blade that is several inches shorter than would be normal for that length Tsuka and Saya, to give the illusion of a normal sword when worn, when it reality it wasn't.

Typically in the other schools taught within the X-kan organizations such as the Kukishinden Ryu, wearing the Daisho is not uncommon. Historically, most "ninja" were samuari, anything else you may hear, or read is myth and folklore.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In fact... here are pics of mine, the Togakure-ryu Katana on top and the "Normal" Katana on the bottom...

Notice the Saya are the same length, but the Blade on the "ninja" sword is about 3" shorter. I have been told by folk more knowlagable than myself that the Tsuka is too long on my Togakure-ryu sword, and It is a bit longer than the one on the Katana.

Attachments

• $swords.jpg
    $swords.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 299

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
pgsmith and Cryozombie

Thanks for the info.
Having spent all my time in karate (shorin and goju) I realy have no knowledge of your art (ninjitsu? Taijutsu?)

Latest Discussions