History of your TKD

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Every single one of us has a view about the TKD we practice but do you have the history behind your particular TKD and how your GM or Master got there training and what make this right or wrong. I would hope we can post what has been said to us by our GM and Masters without calling anybody a liar. We have all been involved in threads like that but this one will be different and that it is solely based on what has been told to you by this great GM and Masters.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry, I understand what you're trying to do with this thread, but in the past, and on other boards, I've done just what you're asking... and I was threatened with legal action by members of the organization I used to belong to, claiming that I (and others) were being slanderous. Therefore, I will not be answering this question at this time... sorry. :(

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry, I understand what you're trying to do with this thread, but in the past, and on other boards, I've done just what you're asking... and I was threatened with legal action by members of the organization I used to belong to, claiming that I (and others) were being slanderous. Therefore, I will not be answering this question at this time... sorry. :(

I completely umderstand and I hope we can have a decussion about what and where evrything fell apart and the whole became pieces.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I mistakenly fell into that trap today (telling the truth), and didn't think about the people that would take offense to it. So, I have to second Kacey on this topic.

R. McLain

Just4Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
I wonder why people would get offended by this, shed any light on that?

Anyway, I was told my master trained under General Choi and hasn't graded since his death. I am pretty sure he is a Grandmaster though. (he never wears a belt with his rank on it but the black belts call him 'Grand master' so I'll go with that.)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

People can get offended any time that others' recounting of events puts them in a bad light - which is what happened here. When discussing on other boards why we left, people who stayed took exception to our recounting of what happened to us, because it made the leaders of the organization we left look bad, and thereby made them look bad.

I made the choice I made because I felt it was in the best interest of my students - but people who stayed saw it as disloyalty. There were a lot of hard feelings involved on both sides. There are people on this board from the organization we left, and I do not wish to restart those recriminative discussions, as they cause more trouble than they solve.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I honestly don't know my school's history, other than that the founder (who is revered by everyone who ever met him) passed away shortly after the new dojang opened in the late 90's. I have the utmost respect for all of the instructors, and couldn't be happier. As I've said before, it is not a commercial school, but a non-profit school run out of a 4-H barn by an all volunteer staff, most with 10 years or more teaching at the school. I'll eventually learn more about the school's past and lineage, but at the moment it isn't of primary importance to me. I'm focused on the goal of getting my black belt, and that's in the future, not the past.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Usually there are two sides to any story. (with reality being somewhere in the middle of the two) The whole game's a losing proposition. (Why I keep my ignore list healthy.)

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
GGM Park came to the U.S. from Korea in 1969. Charles Hildebrand, David LeGrand, and Jeff Forby were his first students. My dad, Jim Sautel, Doug Johnson were his second wave that began in the early 70's.

Lee was a 5th dan in Yudo. He was classmates with Bong Yul Shin and He Young Kimm at the Yudo Academy in Korea.

I am not 100 % for sure where he began Tae Kwon Do, however I know he finished in Chun Do Kwan. Moo Sul Kwan started as an ITF tae kwon do school. In St. Louis we still have to do both ITF and WTF for belt testing.

Lee and his brother Eui Park lived with Won, Kwang Wha and learned hapkido. Won, Kwang Wha learned predominately from Choi himself. He was the body guard for a congressman, the father of Suh Bok Sub, this man was the first student of Choi.

Min

White Belt
Reaction score
Although my school (the one that I use to train at atleast) has a lot of controversy I am going to put up what happened here.

I use to train at Level 10 Martial Arts under Master James Theros. At the time I started training it was named Oriental Martial Arts College under the wing of Honorary Grand Master Young Pyo Choi, named grandmaster by his brother Grand Mast Jyong Pyo Choi, (founder of Battle of Coloumbus). After a while Master Theros (at the time he wasn't a master) and Grand Master Young Choi decided that it was time to split (won't go into the because because it might be controversial.) Master Theros continued his training by going to Tennesse every now and then and train under Grand Master Kang Rhee for Tae Kwon Do, Grand Master Bong Su Han, when he was a live that is, for Hapkido, Master Kenny Perez for Wushu, and several other masters for Kung Fu and other arts, such as business management from Grand Master Stephen Oliver. At one point he did become an associate with Master Bruce Tran, but that finished due to instructing differences.

Um, that's all that I can really remeber of my school's history.