Weak points in the body you exploit?

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
What are some weak points in the body you personally prefer to exploit, in sparring or a self-defense situation?
From experience, I never really target specific spots. When I am in the heat of the sparring match, I go for what's available and I am either trying to wind my opponent by hitting his solar plexus or lop his head off with a kick. I once got into an altercation where a class mate attempted to kick me in the balls in a changing room, and I instinctively caught his leg. I ended up attempting an oblique kick to his knee, purely out of instinct. Luckily, I missed and just pushed him back, and it ended. If I hadn't missed, I'd have probably crippled him.

I am attempting to compile a list of weak spots in the body I could aim to exploit. I am aware of the centre line points, as well as the liver; I am also aware that striking the forearms during a block can make an opponent's hand spasm. Are there any other spots to target?

Which ones have you exploited and how?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, we have a punch that we call “pau Choi” which comes up from below, but is different from an uppercut. It’s something I can’t explain very well without showing it. But it hits with a lot of power.

But a favorite target is under the chin, which would snap the head up and back. I think it is very dangerous. It could damage or break the neck. It could also topple someone backward in a way where they hit their head on the concrete and could be lethal. So it’s kinda hard to spar with it.

We have another punch called “Chou Choi”, which is a type of whipping hook punch. A favorite target is the hinge of the jaw on the side of the face, or the side of the chin. I knew a guy who used it in his teenage hooligans days, and landed that on a fellow who didn’t deserve it. The punch dislocated his jaw and moved it to the side of his face. So again, can’t really spar that way. But if your life is on the line, it’s very useful for putting someone out of commission.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the eyes. Whether or not you're actually hitting the eyes, a lot of people flinch to that. And if you go at them without a fist (either palm up, or 'crooked fingers' to them, it blocks their field of view. So I'm exploiting the eyes, not as a target, but as a potential target that allows me to land something else.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am attempting to compile a list of weak spots in the body I could aim to exploit

This is already in print, in many sources. There are joint strikes, which are obvious, and vulnerable spots as groin and eyes, which are obvious as well, and there's organs such as the liver. Then, there are the vital points descended from old acupuncture study going back to the 1400's or more. These spots were once secret teachings in MA, but no longer, and are readily available. Some are practical, some rely on sichen, the concept of 12 hour blood flow cycles causing some points being extra vulnerable at certain times of the day.

There are areas to traumatically strike that do interrupt blood flow and nerve transmission causing momentary disruption of body reaction, but this is not sichen.

There are articles by doctors and martial artists. Patrick McCarthy's version of The Bubishi has a large section devoted to the subject. But don't expect to become a Dim Mak "death touch" master.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What are some weak points in the body you personally prefer to exploit, in sparring or a self-defense situation?
If you can make your opponent's knee to bend side way, it can be advantage to you. Some knee side way bending techniques have no counters. The danger is it can cause permanent injury to your opponent.

During the ancient time, these kind of technique is used to deal with unfriendly challengers. Most of the time, it was very difficult to prove whether someone did it on purpose, or it was just an accident.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, we have a punch that we call “pau Choi” which comes up from below, but is different from an uppercut. It’s something I can’t explain very well without showing it. But it hits with a lot of power.

But a favorite target is under the chin, which would snap the head up and back. I think it is very dangerous. It could damage or break the neck. It could also topple someone backward in a way where they hit their head on the concrete and could be lethal. So it’s kinda hard to spar with it.

We have another punch called “Chou Choi”, which is a type of whipping hook punch. A favorite target is the hinge of the jaw on the side of the face, or the side of the chin. I knew a guy who used it in his teenage hooligans days, and landed that on a fellow who didn’t deserve it. The punch dislocated his jaw and moved it to the side of his face. So again, can’t really spar that way. But if your life is on the line, it’s very useful for putting someone out of commission.
The Chou Choi has the capability to land on the back of the head behind the ear. Lights out. Then there's Kup Choi which lands on top of the head and compresses the bones in the neck

Edit. For those who don't know. Don't hit people on the top of the head as it damages the spine.

Last edited:

Tenshin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Knees and nose. Knees are what I go for with kicks using longest part of body to closest target.
Nose because it disrupts breathing pattern, causes eyes to water and disorients, and is a great way to diminish an opponents confidence. If I am able to get to side of my opponent ( In Ashihara Karate we use Sabaki method to go into an opponent blind spot) I aim for jaw bone TMJ area for a knock out usually with a hook. Chin is a good one too with a jab its called the button for a good reason.

D

Deleted member 39746

I personally like the hand to the face movement where you jam your fingers in their eyes/chinjab/palm heel there. Not too sure about ear strikes or throat punches, not habit to use them. (i dont have a cylander to hit or a BOB so i cant really practise that, i can practise shoving my hand in somones face with intent to get their eyes as well) But those would be second to that if i could practise them.

As monkey put, its a pretty good oen as if you dont hit the eyes you distract/blind them due to them moving and if they dont move, you end up hitting the eyes and can blind them in one or both for the fight so its a win win. (but to be fair i view their face/eyes as the target rather than a distraction, but it still works i just look at it the other way round)

Addendum: Actually i have ended up eagle clawing when i practise it for some reason, so i closer to the claw them in the face now and then if i were to do it for real.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Knees and nose. Knees are what I go for with kicks using longest part of body to closest target.
Nose because it disrupts breathing pattern, causes eyes to water and disorients, and is a great way to diminish an opponents confidence. If I am able to get to side of my opponent ( In Ashihara Karate we use Sabaki method to go into an opponent blind spot) I aim for jaw bone TMJ area for a knock out usually with a hook. Chin is a good one too with a jab its called the button for a good reason.
Great to see an Ashihara practitioner on here, welcome and osu :)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Osu! Hi Simon are you with Mark Cousins Sensei?
I am with AIKO David Jonkers Sensei organization.
Osu ah nice! Nah I'm not Ashihara but Kyokushin is my background (almost a decade in it, have since moved on), massive respect for the Ashihara guys, and yeah I know of Mark Cousins Sensei his dojo isn't too far away from me :). He entered a few guys in a few of the tournaments we held I remember

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Many good ideas have been offered regarding weak points to target and exploit, mostly dealing with strikes/kicks and causing traumatic injury. This is definitely a major part of combat. But I think there are a couple of other categories of weak points that can be attacked as well, that can be used in conjunction with striking and are important enough not to be neglected - balance and spirit.

Targeting balance as a main objective is useful as it compromises the opponent's ability to effectively attack or defend. How about discussing some tactics to attack this category of weak points, often neglected, especially by untrained fighters. Poor posture or stance and over-committing on a technique leaves one open to a variety of exploitations. If not offered by the opponent, they can be encouraged to a certain extent.

Attacking the opponent's spirit is a little more abstract, but a demoralized opponent is a defeated opponent. Doubt in his ability to win, to defend himself, in his moral justification for fighting, or just uncomfortable distractions are all attacks on the spirit. The Viet Cong attacked all these weak points against the USA in the early 1970's and one can argue, successfully.

I will admit, that while attacking one or both of these other categories alone can lead to victory, having the striking game gives them teeth. Fights can be won simply by attacking vulnerable physical targets as has been discussed in this thread, but attacking with a comprehensive strategy is powerful.

Latest Discussions