Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Hand and body evasions.
By Guro Dave Gould - Mon, 26 May 2008 14:21:00 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Iwasan sa katawan at kamay:

There are few things in combat while fighting with edged and impact weapons that allow you to fight with greater effect than hand and body evasions in medium and close ranges. In Lameco Eskrima we are taught to maintain the line of engagement leaving us standing just outside of our opponents reach, where we will wait for or manufacture opportunity. Most people would categorize this as being just outside of medium range or as Punong Guro Edgar G. Sulite would refer to it as "medio-largo".

In "medio-largo" range being just outside of your opponent&#8217;s ability to strike your head or body you are still in range for strikes to your hands. Therefore there is a strong urgency to be able to develop and use hand evasions in defense of strikes primarily to the weapon hand and secondarily to the safety hand. Even if the hands are not targeted in this range they are accessible by happen stance in route to or from the head or body so therefore must be protected.

When hand evasions are used properly they can be used to positive effect in counter to counter activity just after you make your opponent miss big as now he is forced to recover his center line or be hit. This will always be your greatest opportunity as you have less distance to travel to take advantage of his exposed centerline more so than he has time to recover his centerline quickly before you are able to launch your counter attack to center.

Most people that I fight or spar always seem to think that I am too close and it makes them nervous because they realize that the closer that I am to them the greater the chance that they will be hit. Yet when they strike they find out that I am just outside of their range as they are made to miss by minimal or maximum margins. As soon as my opponent grossly violates center I have only inches to move forward to capitalize on any and all opportunities revealed then only inches to move back to take myself out of harms way.

As dictated by the threat faced either I will use hand or body evasions in dealing with the initial strike and any counter strikes that may follow as I negotiate in and out of range while randomly targeting opportunity revealed or manufactured as a direct course of that action. The closer to the line of engagement that you ready yourself the greater the need for hand and body evasions to be relied upon.

In the Lameco Eskrima curriculum we have numerous variations of both hand and body evasions and subsequent counters and counter to counter measures to be used with positive effect while covering a wide variety of circumstances. But more important is ones ability to have a strong sensibility to perceive and react to immediate threats faced quickly. It is not enough to solely recognize the threat, as you must move against that threat as soon as it is perceived and if you can not do this quickly then you will heavily pay the consequences for your indecisiveness.

In conjunction with a really convincing "enganyo" utilizing both body and hand evasions can be instrumental in ending a fight quickly as they maximize effect while minimizing risk to self in the process. But as in all things combative there are many prerequisites that must be assimilated and actualized for you to be effective, such as: Perception and reaction, adaptation and adjustment, location and relocation principles, non-telegraphic striking and strong counter to counter measures to mention only a few.

When you spar try and minimize the gear being worn to the point that you eventually rely on no protective equipment at all, as you need to know that in combat you are held accountable for all things that you do as well as things that you choose not to do. There are consequences for mistakes made in combat and with protective equipment those lessons learned can be severely underscored. With out protective equipment there is no doubt when you get hit in the hands or the body and how you recover from the damage done, if at all which will determine if you will live or be left behind to die.

When we train as if our lives depend on it, we will fight as if they do as well&#8230; Train well, ciao.

Guro Dave Gould

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions