We need a kick in the pants!!!

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
What's happened to our forum here guys?
Nobody's posting. Is it because we've said all there is to say about our art?
Or are we tired of going over the same things again and again?

I've noticed we have some new blood here and they're bringing up some decent topics. Maybe not so new to many of us, but I think we need to engage the new guys and share some insights. It just might help them along in their journey and it may reignite a spark in us and remind us why we've dedicated so much of ourselves to our training.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you kick the pants in wing chun? I don't think I've ever seen that tactical maneuver in chi sao.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I've noticed we have some new blood here and they're bringing up some decent topics. Maybe not so new to many of us, but I think we need to engage the new guys and share some insights. It just might help them along in their journey and it may reignite a spark in us and remind us why we've dedicated so much of ourselves to our training.

Sadly it is pretty much forum wide

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly it is pretty much forum wide
Yup. There's still new posts, but I've found more people fade away from the forum, and while new people come, they don't seem to be sticking around. The people that are stuck generally don't have as many topics to bring up since, if we had new topics, we would have brought them up already. The few exceptions are people like @skribs who always seems to find new topics.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yup. There's still new posts, but I've found more people fade away from the forum, and while new people come, they don't seem to be sticking around. The people that are stuck generally don't have as many topics to bring up since, if we had new topics, we would have brought them up already. The few exceptions are people like @skribs who always seems to find new topics.

I do, but not much in Wing Chun.

And I spend half the thread arguing with people over whether the new topic is even worth discussing or if the fact I even ask the question means I'm not enlightened enough to discuss it.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Can only speak for myself. I don't get much from forums, never have. For a while it was more about representing my style since we're such a small clan with some interesting stuff, but the long and short of it is that my teacher doesn't want us to promote online anymore. Some jerk in Turkey took a lot of our photos etc to act like he was our rep in Europe, and that was pretty much it.

With nothing to share, I've got little to talk about *shrug*

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Personally, I don't have a lot to say on the subject anymore. It's been a long slow process of disenchantment.

MMA training has forced me to supplant most of what I learned over 25 years with more functional techniques.

I wouldn't say any of it was wasted training, but it's certainly not the route I would take knowing what I know now, for my specific goals.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Yeah, we've hit a distinct quiet spell. Mostly the same folks posting every week, and most of us have had our debates that are going to generate real discussion.

I have seen a lot of posters vanish over the years and the post counts have been going down for a long time. But this is not just MT, it has happened on just about every martial arts forum that I know. And many of those are now gone.

I post a lot less as well. Not even posting in my Blog much these days. I start writing something for the Blog or I start posting in a thread or starting a new topic and something seems to pop into my head that says why bother.

D

Deleted member 39746

I honestly keep forgetting this exists and mainly mill about in the general area. Not that i do wing chun or anything, but most of my propositions etc go in general unless citing a specific style.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My instinct is that people are just using forums less, but reddit is something like in the top 20 most popular sites in the world, and i think top 10 in the US. And thats all forum.

OP
Y

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally, I don't have a lot to say on the subject anymore. It's been a long slow process of disenchantment.

MMA training has forced me to supplant most of what I learned over 25 years with more functional techniques.

I wouldn't say any of it was wasted training, but it's certainly not the route I would take knowing what I know now, for my specific goals.

That perspective is worth bringing to the table.

OP
Y

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
My instinct is that people are just using forums less, but reddit is something like in the top 20 most popular sites in the world, and i think top 10 in the US. And thats all forum.

Yeah, it kind of strikes me as a FB/forum combo.
Maybe we need to use their approach? I don't get there much, but it seems to have more videos that they use to prompt disscusion

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Reddit, plus things like the groups in LinkedIn, have drained a lot of users. It's easier to have all your forums under an umbrella.

EDIT: Plus the level of marketing Reddit and LinkedIn put forth.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use reddit, as a secondary forum site. If this place was more popular I'd use it a lot less. Not a huge fan of those giant sites where you don't know each other, and no idea of the context or background of where the other person is coming from. And more of a focus on jokes to get upvotes then actual discussion.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have just kicked myself in the pants.

Thankfully, I kept my hands up while doing it.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Personally, I haven't had as much to contribute lately either. I don't know what it is, but it's like I've been losing the faith. That long slow process of disenchantment.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I haven't had as much to contribute lately either. I don't know what it is, but it's like I've been losing the faith. That long slow process of disenchantment.
I went through some of that with my old approach to NGA, geezer. I started posting more after I wrrapped my head around the changes I wanted to make - how I wanted to teach NGA differently from what I'd experienced.

Latest Discussions