WC weapons

B

Blackdragon

I have a small question. What weapons are affiliated with Wing Chun? I know escrima sticks aren't( although we do it anyway ). I think butterfly swords are. Does WC even have many weapon forms in it? New to the art( sort of ), just wondering.

Thanks for your time!

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Generally, most systems of Wing Chun/Ving Tsun/Wing Tsun/etc. have only two weapons forms: bart jarm dao (8-slash knives) and luk bik boon gwun (six-and-a-half point pole)...basically, butterfly knives/swords and staff. Different systems of Wing Chun may have different names for the forms. For example, Yuen Kay-San WC calles the knives form yee jee seung dao (double knives).

A system called Pao Fa Lien Wing Chun teaches the above weapons, as well as the 13-section whip, scholar's sword, kwan dao, dai pa (trident) and others.

My primary source for this information is Complete Wing Chun by Robert Chu, Rene Ritchie, and Y. Wu. Excellent book for students of Wing Chun, and anyone interested in Chinese martial arts in general.

Cthulhu

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My experience has been the same: Most Wing Chun systems teach the butterfly knives and the staff, typically through one form each (a very short one, in the case of the pole; the 6.5 points are not its length but the 6.5 techniques taught).

OP
B

Blackdragon

Thanks Cthulhu and Arnisador for the info. I appreciate it! And I'll make sure to check out that book.

p.s.- Cthulhu, Vegeta rules!

OP
S

Stickgrappler

the essence of WCK can be found in both the butterfly knives and the 6.5 point pole, i.e. the concepts of WCK can be found in both the weapons techniques. definitely many other weapons out there in the many other WCK styles, but those 2 are the most common throughout.

i love COMPLETE WING CHUN, excellent book.

one note, the weapons were generally taught last, so Leung Ting/Kernespecht (sp?)/Emin Boztepe teamed up with Rene Latosa to integrate FMA into the beginning levels of training. also another note, the long pole was used for strength training in the "old" days.

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey There,

The only weopons that we trained with actively were the Dragon Pole (6.5) and the double Butterfly Swords. We did do some other things though, mainly defensive against a single short knife and an improvised baseball bat. This was all in response to real-life situations that happened with students at the school.

The Complete Wing Chun book is pretty good and opens up a new world of WC to the general public. Also a pretty good site is Wing Chun World.

Latest Discussions