can wc weaponswork?

antec20

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hi there. can wing chun weaponswork deal with modern day weapons like knives, stick, etc offense and defense? i just dont see how butterfly knives can be modified to handle modern day sticks and knives.

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
antec20 said:
hi there. can wing chun weaponswork deal with modern day weapons like knives, stick, etc offense and defense? i just dont see how butterfly knives can be modified to handle modern day sticks and knives.
The point of Wing chun weapons is not the weapon......

....Wing Chun Weapons forms prime directive is to teach the practicioner how to focus there energy into a single point, be that short range, or long range, in other words the weapons are another way that the practicioner can further enhance there ability to deliver that the energy that has (hopefully) been developed by the first 4 forms. This principle of focused energy can be translated to any weapon that you care to name. As a side note, the gwan stage of WC also helps to further develop hip strength.

Toasty

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
4 forms....??

In Wing Chun?

I know of 3 forms...what is the fourth?

K

Karushi

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side" - Han Solo.

haha just kidding... They probably won't be able to handle a gun... Just kidding... But I think butterfly knives will work just fine all you need to do is know how to use them. But thats just my thought.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
bcbernam777 said:
The point of Wing chun weapons is not the weapon......

....Wing Chun Weapons forms prime directive is to teach the practicioner how to focus there energy into a single point, be that short range, or long range, in other words the weapons are another way that the practicioner can further enhance there ability to deliver that the energy that has (hopefully) been developed by the first 4 forms. This principle of focused energy can be translated to any weapon that you care to name. As a side note, the gwan stage of WC also helps to further develop hip strength.
And its fair to say you can utilise all these skills in the use of weapons within a modern day scenario. I like what you said about the point not being the weapon because anyone can buy new weapons, an understanding of a weapon is still needed.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
antec20 said:
Whats modern about sticks and knives? The butterfly swords are a great jamming and hacking tool. I don't understand what would make using butterfly swords against other weapons hard to do?

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Its not the weapon its the movement and the training.
Using butterfly knives for example will you know how to move correctly in order to deal with the attack coming at you.
From my experience the chinese weapons arent really taught from a defensive/ offensive end in real time against somebody attacking, they are taught more in a complimentary way to the main style. Think about it.

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The butterfly set seemed workable to me. I think the main problem people have is that there isn't the depth of skill building tools to train the weapons portion of wc as there is the empty hand. With the hand sets you have defenses, chi sao, forms, combative drills, and the dummy. With the weapons you pretty much only have the forms. Many schools do a warm up of kicking and punches, but that does not usually or perhaps ever involve the use of the weapons.

Does anybody know of any teachers that try to work chi sao or any other types of training tools into the weapons areas to try and develop skills like contact reflexes, etc? I've never heard of any.

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think you will find that through at least the WSL lineage there is a form of Chis Sao performed with the Gwan

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bcbernam777 said:
I think you will find that through at least the WSL lineage there is a form of Chis Sao performed with the Gwan

I've seen people work the dummy with the butterfly swords and I've seen two person drills with the swords versus the dragon pole, but for the most part, those were practices created by those sifus and not an established traditional practice.

J

juntao wing chun

nice answer ...(hopefully) was a good one ....some people wanna learn a weapon before they get anywere with there body

Latest Discussions