What can a boxer gain from WC?

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this should have been included in an existing post.

A common question that comes up among the WC practitioners is how do we modify or improve it, while still maintaining its core principles. Boxing is usually the most common comparison and art that is most often blended in with WC.

I want to rephrase the question and ask what can a boxer gain from WC? Boxers are extremely proficient with their hands. WC fights often turn into what essentially looks like sloppy boxing.

Some things that come to mind when look at both styles: Boxers are light on their feet. WC uses the anchored stance. WC seems to favor elbow strikes and blocks. Boxing has more punches. Center Line theory is not exclusive to WC IMO. Boxing, arguably, has better long range and strikes from multiple angles. WC, arguably, has advantages with blocking. Boxing has advantages in overall movement.

I think a boxer can gain several things: defend and attack simultaneously. Better elbow strikes (being boxers don't use them lol), more direct striking, kicking and anchored stability when close range.

Last edited:

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think a boxer can gain several things: defend and attack simultaneously. Better elbow strikes (being boxers don't use them lol), more direct striking, kicking and anchored stability when close range.

Wing Chun can help Boxing become a martial art rather than a sport. But this I mean training with the idea of facing someone on the street and not in the ring. Wing Chun (at least some Wing Chun) has a Kum Na or standing grappling element that can help accomplish this. Awareness of kicks and how to deal with them is part of this.

Wing Chun brings contact sensitivity to boxing. This may not be a significant factor when both fighters are wearing gloves, but without gloves it can be a game-changer! A lot of boxers will go from punching range right into a tie up as they close in, then push off back into punching range again. Wing Chun has a lot to teach boxing about that "intermediate" range before a tie up happens!

Some Boxers do already have a sense of centerline structure and controlling the center, but not all. And when they do, it typically isn't as developed as it is in Wing Chun. So this is also something Wing Chun can bring to the mix.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

A common question that comes up among the WC practitioners is how do we modify or improve it, while still maintaining its core principles. Boxing is usually the most common comparison and art that is most often blended in with WC.

I want to rephrase the question and ask what can a boxer gain from WC? Boxers are extremely proficient with their hands. WC fights often turn into what essentially looks like sloppy boxing.

Some things that come to mind when look at both styles: Boxers are light on their feet. WC uses the anchored stance. WC seems to favor elbow strikes and blocks. Boxing has more punches. Center Line theory is not exclusive to WC IMO. Boxing, arguably, has better long range and strikes from multiple angles. WC, arguably, has advantages with blocking. Boxing has advantages in overall movement.

More trapping range options.

-In tight straight punches and different ways of getting angles for punching off the back foot.

-In tight tie up options and options for getting untangled.

-Options for when you get rushed and put on your back foot via shifting and trapping.

-In tight kicking and elbowing options.

-Options for power generation when you can't get any rotation.

-Sensitivity to balance and motion of the opponent that will sometimes allow you to use these options.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
These are all excellent points that I agree with even with my limited experience in WC.

The only thing that concerns me is there are so few real world videos/scenarios where I've seen WC work. I'm not saying it doesn't or can't, I've just not seen it. But this was addressed in other posts and the reasons why make sense. :)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
These are all excellent points that I agree with even with my limited experience in WC.

The only thing that concerns me is there are so few real world videos/scenarios where I've seen WC work. I'm not saying it doesn't or can't, I've just not seen it. But this was addressed in other posts and the reasons why make sense. :)

Well, that's because...

Well, imagine WC is like ketchup. Ketchup make your fries better, but you wouldn't want to eat a plate of just ketchup now would you?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Every time we mention chun concepts and boxing I seem to mention lomenchenko who xomes from an amateur boxing background. Which is very wing chun in concept. Sorta.

Anyhoo. Hand trapping.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually I might chi sau the next guy who fences out with their hand. That John jones style feeler hand.

images

Normally I just scissor punch their elbow. But it is always good to try something new.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Every time we mention chun concepts and boxing I seem to mention lomenchenko who xomes from an amateur boxing background. Which is very wing chun in concept. Sorta.

Anyhoo. Hand trapping.

Indeed, Lomenchenco is a good example of some the concepts found in Wing Chun being put to practice.

He probably didn't get it from Wing Chun, but if it works it works.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That Lomachenko dude would fit right in at a Duncan kwoon. That "hand trap" is fairly common in that camp...
Thx for posting

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

boxing is effective as it combines simple techniques with fast fluid movements, , anything from wing Chun or any other art that interferes with its simplicity or speed or fluidity will take away from boxing. That's not to say you couldn't improve it for self defence, there are as you point out a number of under used weapons, that might come to your aid, elbow, knee ,head and foot strikes come to mind and the common boxing practise of holding might be a bad idea if your opponent can get you with a knee or an eye gauge or an ear bite, learning the missing parts of kick boxing might be a much better idea, than trying to take elements of wing chun that can only really hamper the target of hurting the other guy quickly and efficiently

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
boxing is effective as it combines simple techniques with fast fluid movements, , anything from wing Chun or any other art that interferes with its simplicity or speed or fluidity will take away from boxing. That's not to say you couldn't improve it for self defence, there are as you point out a number of under used weapons, that might come to your aid, elbow, knee ,head and foot strikes come to mind and the common boxing practise of holding might be a bad idea if your opponent can get you with a knee or an eye gauge or an ear bite, learning the missing parts of kick boxing might be a much better idea, than trying to take elements of wing chun that can only really hamper the target of hurting the other guy quickly and efficiently

For self defence the chi sau stuff is pretty good. Because while you are both smack talking you can be hand trapping. So he sticks a finger in your face, you push it to one side, he tries to get it back.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think I’m finally at peace with what WC is and don’t need to compare it to boxing. It is what it is and it’s really not something designed for a ring environment. Certain principles and attributes from WC can certainly be incorporated into boxing, and likewise, but WC is a different striking art approach. And it’s a good one at that. I “think” I’m done comparing them now. LOL. I got it out of my system.....until tomorrow. J/k

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, that's because...

Well, imagine WC is like ketchup. Ketchup make your fries better, but you wouldn't want to eat a plate of just ketchup now would you?
I would consider Wing Chun more of a Gourmet meal myself.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
While I agree that you probably shouldn't just mix the two, you do realize that Wing Chun also is based off of fluid and simple motions right?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
While I agree that you probably shouldn't just mix the two, you do realize that Wing Chun also is based off of fluid and simple motions right?
i wouldn't describe them as fluid, there are short and,sharp and,a lot of standing there waiting with your arms out, which is no motion at all and the motions are not at all compatable with boxing

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i wouldn't describe them as fluid, there are short and,sharp and,a lot of standing there waiting with your arms out, which is no motion at all and the motions are not at all compatable with boxing
That's called "**** Wing Chun". The idea that in Wing Chun you stand still like a Ip Man statue is propogated by students of Ip man who trained for maybe 2 years before opening up they're own school.