Warm-ups

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To All Seniors,

I teach a one hour class and I was wondering if you have any recommendations for effectively using the time. How do you structure your classes? How long are they? Do you incorporate cardio exercises or basics into your warm-ups or do you go directly into SD techniques?

Thanks for any thought you might have on this.

Respectfully,
MJ :asian:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
I teach a one hour class and I was wondering if you have any recommendations for effectively using the time. How do you structure your classes? How long are they? Do you incorporate cardio exercises or basics into your warm-ups or do you go directly into SD techniques?
I typically teach an 1 1/2 hour class.
We start with warm ups ..... jumping rope or running in place for 5 or so minutes.

Then move into some...
jumping jacks, sit ups, push ups, squat kicks, more running up/downs or any variety of exercises for about 10 or so minutes.

This is followed by some stretching...... some days a lot some days a little... always encouraging the students to do a lot of stretching on their own so we don't have to do a lot of it in class.... (takes wayyyyy to much time to do right) 10- 30 minutes.

I then start going thru the Basics........
Stances, blocks, punches, strikes, kicks, foot maneuvers etc as I use these as "Physical Drills" for exercise done in fairly rapid succession (good cardio) and yet constant builders of "Basics" 10 to 15 minutes.

At this point a water break for 5 minutes

Now I split up class per ranks or skill levels and start working on Techniques or forms, sets etc. and an instructor is assigned to each group. Some times we will do Technique Lines if it is an intermediate or Advanced class. This takes up the remaining portion of the time period except for a 5 minute "burn out" in the end.

There are many variations but this is a general base reference....

:asian:

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mr. Conatser,

What types of stretches do you have your students do - partner, individual? How do you feel about the benefits of yogic stretches?

I teach children, so I have to be careful of what they can and can't do, as well as attention span.

Thank you. KT

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:
Mr. Conatser,
What types of stretches do you have your students do - partner, individual? How do you feel about the benefits of yogic stretches?

I teach children, so I have to be careful of what they can and can't do, as well as attention span.

Thank you. KT
We do a variety of stretches. Both Individual and Partner. I usually start with individual then do some partner stretches or If time is short just stay with individual. If Wall {ballet bars} are available I have a whole series of exercises with those... if not the standard toe touches, hurdlers, lotus stretch, front and side splits, Russian stretch, and many others..... I try to vary them per class so as to not be boring.

Partner stretches are great as well and usually net more results but take more time and caution. Wall stretches with one persons back to the wall and then raise the leg up as in a front stretch and try to touch the wall with your toes....... sitting on the floor facing each other with legs apart and holding onto belts and do split stretches...... and many more. all good.

:supcool:

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
We do a variety of stretches. Both Individual and Partner. I usually start with individual then do some partner stretches or If time is short just stay with individual. If Wall {ballet bars} are available I have a whole series of exercises with those... if not the standard toe touches, hurdlers, lotus stretch, front and side splits, Russian stretch, and many others..... I try to vary them per class so as to not be boring.

Partner stretches are great as well and usually net more results but take more time and caution. Wall stretches with one persons back to the wall and then raise the leg up as in a front stretch and try to touch the wall with your toes....... sitting on the floor facing each other with legs apart and holding onto belts and do split stretches...... and many more. all good.

:supcool:
Thank you. I am slowly trying to incorporate a more advanced stretching routine for the children's classes and your input is appreciated. Validates some of my thinking, so I guess I'm on the right wavelength.

What is a Russian stretch? I've not heard that term.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not to counter anything being said, But due to the growing pains associated with children I would never have kids do advanced or real hard streching. Thier muscles have a certain pliabilty that I...um older people seem to lack

Todd

Latest Discussions