Seniors' Background

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To All Seniors,

As this is a new forum I was wondering if maybe you could each give us a little bit about your martial arts background. How many years have you been studying for? Have you studied any arts other than Kenpo? Did you study directly with/under Ed Parker? Do you have a school, and do you currently teach or travel giving seminars? How do you prefer to be addressed (Sigung, Doc, Mr., a nickname)? Did you ever meet Elvis? Is he still alive? :idunno: :) Is there a person (or two) who most influenced your Kenpo? Please share anything that you think might be important for us to know about you.

Respectfully,

MJ :asian:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:

Please share anything that you think might be important for us to know about you.
Most of what you ask on me can be found in "The Journey"

:asian:

No I never met Elvis..... (damn it) Mr. Parker told me several times that we would have had a blast together tho.

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
Most of what you ask on me can be found in "The Journey"
Ohhh throw us a crumb!...LOL Is that the it's 4:59 am answer? OK so I'll look for "The Journey" should be well worth it :asian: especially if there are any more water spitting pictures in there! ;)

No I never met Elvis..... (damn it) Mr. Parker told me several times that we would have had a blast together tho.
That's too bad! I love the pictures I've seen of Elvis with Ed Parker! It must have been a fun time!:asian:

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"The Journey" is worth it to keep. If you haven't got a copy, go get one! There is an article in that book about Elvis too.

- Ceicei

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
"The Journey" is worth it to keep. If you haven't got a copy, go get one! There is an article in that book about Elvis too.

- Ceicei
Thanks Ceicei! :)

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi MJ.
Nice try girls, but if that is the best we can get out of them, well you get the idea. :idunno:
Regards, Gary

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
OK,

I am going to step in say something. This area does not allow for chat, sidebars, snide remarks, or disrespect. Any posts of that nature will be immediately deleted from this point on byone of the Supermods or myself.
The Senior's are not going to answer questions that they feel are inane. The Journey is a very widely available Kenpo resource, they will probably not answer anything that can be found in that book in a few minutes. Had the Elvis question been focused on, you would have had a more favorable response. To put it in another light, how many times does someone have to ask you your name before you get impatient with them?
Seig
MT Ops Admin

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seig said:
OK,

I am going to step in say something. This area does not allow for chat, sidebars, snide remarks, or disrespect. Any posts of that nature will be immediately deleted from this point on byone of the Supermods or myself.
The Senior's are not going to answer questions that they feel are inane. The Journey is a very widely available Kenpo resource, they will probably not answer anything that can be found in that book in a few minutes. Had the Elvis question been focused on, you would have had a more favorable response. To put it in another light, how many times does someone have to ask you your name before you get impatient with them?
Seig
MT Ops Admin
Seig,

I’m sorry. I do not know all of the seniors on the list and find it difficult to address them specifically without knowing a little about them. I'm happy to read The Journey, and I'm sure it will prove interesting. I've shared lots of jocularity with Mr. Conatser on other threads, and did not intend disrespect to him in any way here.

Sincerely,

MJ :asian:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Much of the background info is in the Journey. There are several Seniors who may not be in that book however. To minimize redundancy and maximize content, we are hoping to do interviews with several Seniors and other notables in the near future. We currently have a few in progress now. This way, they can maximize their time here.

This forum may be a bit slow for a while, as we're still in the process of sending out invites and getting things moving.

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
Much of the background info is in the Journey. There are several Seniors who may not be in that book however. To minimize redundancy and maximize content, we are hoping to do interviews with several Seniors and other notables in the near future. We currently have a few in progress now. This way, they can maximize their time here.
Sounds perfect! Thanks Kaith :)

K

KenpoGirl

Kaith Rustaz said:

This forum may be a bit slow for a while, as we're still in the process of sending out invites and getting things moving.
Thanks Bob, for clearing the air. That is a much more respectful responce.
Not everyone has the funds to buy the Journey. {shakes head}

Dot

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
GAB said:
Hi MJ.
Nice try girls, but if that is the best we can get out of them, well you get the idea. :idunno:
Regards, Gary
No, I don't get the Idea..... please explain to me exactly what you mean.

thank you...... looking forward to your response

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Goldendragon7,

I think Kenpogirl, had the right response to be able to get the idea. I also think Kaith helped.

My thought was the same.

I tried to send you a PM did you get it? When I was typing one to you I hit enter, the picture closed and put me back to a thread I was on ten minutes ago. I do not know if it was sent or not. Kinda weird, so I thought I would try it here.:asian:

I am not sure if this is the right place to post the answer, but since you asked I am complying.

Regards, Gary:asian:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
GAB said:
Hi Goldendragon7,
I think Kenpogirl, had the right response to be able to get the idea. I also think Kaith helped. My thought was the same.

Well, each is entitled to their own opinion, and we all know what the slogan is, that goes with "opinions".:ultracool
There was no disrespect ever intended toward anyone. {besides, MJ and I have privately emailed each other on the subject}

GAB said:
I tried to send you a PM did you get it? When I was typing one to you I hit enter, the picture closed and put me back to a thread I was on ten minutes ago. I do not know if it was sent or not. Kinda weird, so I thought I would try it here.:asian: I am not sure if this is the right place to post the answer, but since you asked I am complying. Regards, Gary

NOPE! Didn't get any pms or email or pvt msgs or anything from you.

:idunno:

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
Well, each is entitled to their own opinion, and we all know what the slogan is, that goes with "opinions".:ultracool
There was no disrespect ever intended toward anyone. {besides, MJ and I have privately emailed each other on the subject}

NOPE! Didn't get any pms or email or pvt msgs or anything from you.:idunno:
Hi,

Yep, sure do! As far as opinions, since you brought it up, I can't agree more.

As far as MJ goes that is good, she was just being cute and really should not, had to apoligize. But since she did, that is up to her and her own feelings.

I think Kaith did a good job. Kempogirl was right on.

Well, at least you got around to answering this one, so no need to continue on this subject.

Regards, Gary

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi, Yes since you asked.

Regarding the design of SGMEP's Crest, the sad story related to it regarding Dick Tercell.
Have you any knowledge regarding this event, that you would be willing to discuss?

Regards, Gary

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
GAB said:
Regarding the design of SGMEP's Crest, the sad story related to it regarding Dick Tercell. Have you any knowledge regarding this event, that you would be willing to discuss? Regards, Gary
Well, personally I don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject. It was never an issue with me.

As to the claims from the one side we know "if" it is true, yes sad it would be ..... however, at this time, it is sort of a moot point to me since Dick Tercell is no longer with us (due to a poor choice he made ~ unfortunate to me to go in such a way, I can't respect a man that does that to himself, sorry, but that is my opinion) nor is Ed Parker with us to either validate or deny any such discussions. To ask these sorts of questions of me, 14 years later..... I really have to wonder what the motive is.... what purpose does it serve, what do you plan to accomplish, what is your agenda......

I knew Ed Parker for nearly 20 years and 12 of those years I was very close, spending a lot of personal time with him {Yes, a few others can say the same as well, but I am speaking for myself}. He was never, and I mean NEVER unfair, impolite, disrespectful, a cheat, or in any way a dubious conniving individual that some are trying to paint him as. So I can not validate nor wish to discuss "possibilities" of any such claims. It serves no purpose, at best it is only one man's opinion.

There are always 2 sides to every story and we at best can only (at this point in time) have one side from a man with no honor, credibility, or decency.

If you wish to carry on any further discussions regarding American Kenpo with me, I would love to do so, it is my passion but not negative trash talking that serves no purpose except to bad mouth or exploit those that have passed on.

My wonderful mother told me {rest her soul} if you can't say anything good about a person... say nothing at all....... I have broken this rule a few times in life but try not to continue it!

Let me ask you a question....... Can God make a rock so large that he can't pick it up? God can do anything right? I await your answer.
:uhyeah:

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi.
Thank you for commenting, I was actually asking because no one but Tracy's side has mentioned this. I am not trash talking, I asked you a question that was vague, you answered in a way, as to let me know, you know more about it, than you want to talk. That is OK.:)
I am interested in it from the stand point, was that technique taught by JWW? Have you ever heard of it being taught with instructors around, to show the prowness of the individual? I am not going to trash talk, but I have to say when looking at all the various post in most of the sections weather it is Karate or Hapkido or Kosho there are many disagreements. :idunno:

You are turning the word of mine into yours. I don't think that is a fair way to answer such an obviously careful worded request.

Regarding the crest have you ever heard that it was designed by this man?

I am an Agnostic, so I would have to say seeing is believing.:asian:

If this is all about God then I see where you are coming from, thanks, you have answered all my requests.:asian:

Regards, Gary

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
GAB said:
I was actually asking because no one but Tracy's side has mentioned this.
I would agree with you completely. They obviously have a different set of priorities than I do.

GAB said:
I have to say when looking at all the various post in most of the sections weather it is Karate or Hapkido or Kosho there are many disagreements. :idunno:
Agreed

GAB said:
You are turning the word of mine into yours. I don't think that is a fair way to answer such an obviously careful worded request.
I disagree, my answers are based on what I perceive you are asking, however, yes my answers are of course "my opinion". :)

GAB said:
Regarding the crest have you ever heard that it was designed by this man?
As I said before I know little of the subject.... but yes, I have heard that DT was involved in some way, as to exactly "how much" I can't comment, but so goes any other portion of American Kenpo as well, Mr. Parker involved many and invoked the "opinions" and comments of many along the way. As an example Tom Kelly is responsible for the Kicking Set #1. He designed this drill and submitted it to Mr. Parker and as we know today it was inserted into the system, and this is not the only scenario. Make no mistake (a little GWBush here .... hee hee) Ed Parker was always the "last word" as to what went into HIS system or not. He did like to mastermind with his brighter students all his life.

Always a pleasure,