Wait a sec...was this supposed to be a *teaching* moment?

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
I posted one of my tameshigiri videos on ***LINK REMOVED*** a couple months ago, mainly for online archival purposes. This one fellow commented on my video, and commented about my "distancing". He in turn posted a video reply, which was supposed to demonstrate "proper" distancing and technique.

I couldn't find the video reply, but suspect it is one of the two videos in his profile:

[FONT=arial, verdana, helvetica]***LINK REMOVED***
***LINK REMOVED***

I'm not sure what I was supposed to get out of those videos. But I wasn't impressed by what I saw. :idunno:
[/FONT]

*mod note: links removed on request of OP.

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
***LINK REMOVED***
SL, thanks for posting that up. I guess in whatever endeavor or however diligently we practice, there are always those who know better than us. Though for some unknown reason, when I watched the videos of your would-be critic I kept being subconsciously reminded of this:
***LINK REMOVED***

Keep it up!
Respects!

Mcura

Green Belt
Reaction score
I had a look at this person's Youtube profile.

Uh ... yeah, whatever dude. :idunno:

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heh. Read some of the comments others made, and it's clear that he has a very short fuse, indeed. Not exactly someone who should be trusted with shinken.

Jen, as far as I can see, there's nothing wrong with your distancing.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, SL, I don't understand what he's going on about, especially since you said right under your video that this was your very first tameshigiri experience.

It is unfortunate that most people are better at criticizing others than any other sport or pastime. I think you could have posted a video of Musashi and still gotten a series of others posting how 'bad' it was.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
[FONT=arial, verdana, helvetica]I'm not sure what I was supposed to get out of those videos. But I wasn't impressed by what I saw. :idunno:
[/FONT]
Don't feel bad. There was a bunch of Bullshido morons crticizing a vid of our (Bujinkan) grandmaster that someone had posted to Youtube. I guess because he wasn't rolling around gropin--er, grappling... :p

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ninjamom said:
Yeah, SL, I don't understand what he's going on about, especially since you said right under your video that this was your very first tameshigiri experience.

It is unfortunate that most people are better at criticizing others than any other sport or pastime. I think you could have posted a video of Musashi and still gotten a series of others posting how 'bad' it was.

Actually...it was my second attempt at tameshigiri, and I am the first to say that I still suck. ;) Seriously...I don't have a problem with honest feedback. I *do* have a problem with this particular fellow, because he was quick to pick apart my form - but doesn't appear to be equally open to others critiquing him as well. On top of that, he boasted about how "perfect" his techniques are. If you're going to put your training footage on the Net, of course others are going to pick your form apart.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Any video can be critisized to pieces. More importantly let this person just live in their world and work on what your sensei wants you to do! You train in an excellent dojo with a fantastic teacher. Just keep working
on your form and bugger what anyone outside of your school thinks! Some people just love to be that monday morning quarterback.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
Any video can be critisized to pieces. More importantly let this person just live in their world and work on what your sensei wants you to do! You train in an excellent dojo with a fantastic teacher. Just keep working
on your form and bugger what anyone outside of your school thinks! Some people just love to be that monday morning quarterback.
BTW Brian, your form is a little sloppy in your avatar.

:uhyeah:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Besides, what you and he were doing are completely different. He was cutting water bottles which is different then tatami mats. Also if I recall you made a couple of cuts on a mat that was just balancing on a stand which is difficult. Just enjoy your training. :)

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shodan said:
Jennifer- You're missing the point, my friend!! It was all about the hat!! :asian: :D

Oh yeah...of course! Silly me. :lol:

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
MartialIntent said:
Though for some unknown reason, when I watched the videos of your would-be critic I kept being subconsciously reminded of this:
***LINK REMOVED***

A funny bit of trivia pertaining to that scene from Indiana Jones:

Harrison Ford was struck with SEVERE dysentery on that day of shooting. The script originally called for him to beat the Cairo swordsman down with his whip... but, take after take, they just couldn't get the scene right... and Ford REALLY HAD TO GO! Finally, he just shot the guy. Luckily, the swordsman saw it coming, and improvised along with Ford. The Director yelled, "CUT! PRINT! I LOVE IT!"... and movie history was made! Re-watch it with that in mind! It’s just too funny!

:samurai: :whip1:

:roflmao:

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
Hey Kreth,

I know, I know but sloppiness is my trademark! (at least around the dinner table)
:ultracool
Ah, you're not allowed any sharp/pointy objects either? :idunno: It's a real ***** trying to eat pork chops with a spoon...

:uhyeah:

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I posted one of my tameshigiri videos on ***LINK REMOVED*** a couple months ago, mainly for online archival purposes. This one fellow commented on my video, and commented about my "distancing". He in turn posted a video reply, which was supposed to demonstrate "proper" distancing and technique.
Hi Jennifer,
I looked at your video, and it wasn't bad at all for your level of training. The only things that I saw wrong, were things that will fix themselves with experience.

As for the fellow with the hats (he really loves hats!) ... anybody that cuts any sort of target out of another person's hands is a complete and absolute moron, and should be put away before he ends up killing someone and getting my swords taken away!

You committed two internet sins Jennifer. First, you posted a video of yourself on YouTube. Second, you actually listened to an anonymous internet person. :)