Villari's masters Program

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wonder what it is that MAKES villari so controversial. I admitt I dont know much about the guy

Because he was one of the forerunners of the McDojo chain schools where you now see black belts worn by adults who can't fight and children. He now sells them through the mail. I get sick of people asking if I have a black belt and then telling me that their grandchild has one too and he's 13 years-old. Takes a lot of explaining to make them understand that it's not the same thing. When people put money ahead of quality, problems arise.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Because he was one of the forerunners of the McDojo chain schools where you now see black belts worn by adults who can't fight and children. He now sells them through the mail. I get sick of people asking if I have a black belt and then telling me that their grandchild has one too and he's 13 years-old. Takes a lot of explaining to make them understand that it's not the same thing. When people put money ahead of quality, problems arise.

It has been many years since my JMA days and caring about belts but WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED!?!?. When I was in Jujitsu I was a kid and we were told that no matter how we trained we could not test for a black belt before we were 18.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think part of what happened is that people will starve themselves to give their kids something, like karate lessons

BUT

if kids cant test, they quit

And the sad but cold truth is, ask anyone with their own school, "Kids pay the bills"

So sooner or later, you have to either let the kids test for black, or lose them.

There are lots of compromises. In my TKD lineage, untill recently, under 17, you could get a "junior black belt" but there was no 1st degree, 2nd degree, etc You couldnt advance

same result, they would just quit and some would come back when they turned 17 and could test for Adult black.

I dont think there is a perfect answer though. Me? I have avoided ever opening a school just because i want to avoid this issue.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
When I first started with Villari it was in '73 and I don't remember kids being there..maybe...the brain gets kinda cloudy after a weekend let alone 35 years....(I do though remember it being a very rough and tumble crowd..they did pride themselves on having effective ranks...least in my school....I worked out alot of the then Black Belts and they were a tough crowd)..on average there were 30+ new white belts each month....I think the youngest student that may have been accepted then was in their teens....by the mid 80's kids had become prevalent but their ranking was always "junior BB"...They did have to know the same material;basically 20 of everything and a dozen forms...Over the years I did notice that it became very Chuckie Cheese (Local food playground, dancing bears, tec...for those not familiar) They no longer had to have the material down crisp, clean, effective....too bad...it did offer kids something more than it does today...now it has become another "soccer class"....
Just my experience not to generalize on all schools....

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I first started with Villari it was in '73 and I don't remember kids being there..maybe...the brain gets kinda cloudy after a weekend let alone 35 years....(I do though remember it being a very rough and tumble crowd..they did pride themselves on having effective ranks...least in my school....I worked out alot of the then Black Belts and they were a tough crowd)..

I think my first kempo teacher Elizabeth was taught the same as you, she would pick us apart during the drill!!! re aligning the legs, arms fist, foot position, posture....and you were in for some pain if she had to correct you twice in one class...I remember my 3rd class she was explaining something and i did not hear so i whisper to the guy next to me...then BANG a back kick and the realization that i needed to purchase a jock strap! No further correction necessary. and when she hit you she used a fraction of her power and you left with bruises..later she would hit me harder so i know that it was only a fraction. I loved those classes!!!! I do not remember any kids...and wonder of wonders she had to close. I almost quit when she moved away because the new instructor was "softer" and i felt like it wasn't kempo. None of Elizabeth's students were allowed to be sloppy and did not learn even the next move of a technique before she was satisfied!! I miss that lady.

Respectfully,
Marlon

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Liz Gilbert....She was/is an awesome MA....fast, technical like to hit and didn't make a fuss when she got hit.....We worked out together at the same dojo for a few years before she went North....

You were lucky to work out with her......She was "old school"....Fabulous attitude, always upbeat. The kind of person you like having inside your circle......
Peace,
J.

Latest Discussions