Video on a WC response to the hook punch

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I thought he made good points in his discussion of strategy. I have to admit the tan sau punch combination would have been what I would've said to deal with it.

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just watched that video last night, heh.

While I liked what he had to say, I think covering with an elbow is the more practical option.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since you have to bend your Tan Shou at your elbow joint, the distance between you head and your opponent's head is not far enough to keep your head safe from your opponent's hook punch. If you straight your Tan Shou into "rhino guard", since your elbow is straight and also since your opponent's hook punch has to bend on his elbow joint, your "rhino guard" can extend your Tan Shou distance and make your opponent's hook punch harder to reach to your head.

OP
T

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Gotcha. There is a range dependency too, is there not? Your clip has the defender standing a bit farther out than the WC guy. I like both responses though.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So anyone who has been in a fight know that they never shape up. You don't get warning. But the hook punch itself will be sloppy.

The guy will also be called Barry and will be a waiter at the local Denney's.

It always stuns me that for people who generally say that the street has no rules.

That's a lot of rules.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is shown in the hook defense video can certainly be used however, that is not how we use qwan sao. It also goes against the simultaneous defend and attack principle. You could make an argument that you are attacking the punch arm and the chest with the elbow but there is no real possibility of damage on that movement. Also if your tan arm isn't almost perfect against a dedicated hook punch you will get hit. What I feel is a better response against the close or open hook is Bil Da. The Bil sao receives the hook dispersing its force while simultaneously attacking with the opposite hand. It also keeps the punch further from contacting your head.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have put a bit of time into trying to prevent getting sucker punched. And for me it is about not sitting in the pocket. I just can't rely on being quick enough to predict the shot in close.

You have all of these sorts of options before you even get closed in.

If I am in close it becomes a clinch or a battle for the centre line. And I don't care what people do in street fights. I am shaping up and throwing tight hooks.

As far as the block itself I have a lot of success in boxing with covering and returning with a same side hook. But you might be able to get the block off if your hands are there. The issue is by the fourth or fifth shot you can get over run. You will probably loose an exchange with a guy who throws tight straight combinations. And mabye even loose against a staunch guy throwing hooks.

What doesn't get discussed much is the speed at which punches get thrown. And the disorienting effect they have.

http://m.thechronicle.com.au/news/shocking-video-of-a-toowoomba-street-fight-has-gon/2458484/

OP
T

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What I feel is a better response against the close or open hook is Bil Da. The Bil sao receives the hook dispersing its force while simultaneously attacking with the opposite hand. It also keeps the punch further from contacting your head.

Yes, that would work. I had to find an example on YouTube (lol) Somewhat close to Wang's Rhino move, except of course you are thumping with the other hand. A tad bit height dependent, but all of this stuff has height, and speed issues.

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dont really like Izzo. Feel like he isnt even a Sifu. His ideas seem a bit whack, considering hes a cop aswell and should be a bit more aware of reality. Watching Danny Horgan continuously get through all the "" Sifus" hes visited was a bit embarassing for them.

Alan orrs way of Tan sau has worked the best for me out of any lineages way that iv experienced in actual combat.

Latest Discussions