Video Home Study

M

marshallbd

I noticed that there alot of "Home Study Programs" for martial arts like Kenpo/Kempo. Are there any out there in Shotokan? If so, has anyone used them? What are the tapes quality like. Who, what, where? and al those cool questions.

:asian:

OP
M

marshallbd

marshallbd said:
I noticed that there alot of "Home Study Programs" for martial arts like Kenpo/Kempo. Are there any out there in Shotokan? If so, has anyone used them? What are the tapes quality like. Who, what, where? and al those cool questions.

Or ANY other related style like Goju.....

Taimishu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The main thing that I have found with home study,I practice Iaido, is that you have no idea what your faults are and how you look. Even if you have someone train with you unless they are an instructor it still can be difficult not to pick up bad habits and to correct any faults.
Anyone got any ideas on this.

David

OP
L

lifewise

Taimishu said:
The main thing that I have found with home study,I practice Iaido, is that you have no idea what your faults are and how you look. Even if you have someone train with you unless they are an instructor it still can be difficult not to pick up bad habits and to correct any faults.
Anyone got any ideas on this.

David

Try using mirrors when you train. Break down your work so that you know each component.

Another good tool to use when training alone is a video camera. Tape yourself so you can get an idea what you look like from another view. Look at each of the components in your work and evaluate in the most objective manner.

Hope this is of some help.

Taimishu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
lifewise said:
Try using mirrors when you train. Break down your work so that you know each component.

Another good tool to use when training alone is a video camera. Tape yourself so you can get an idea what you look like from another view. Look at each of the components in your work and evaluate in the most objective manner.

Hope this is of some help.
Lifewise
Thanks good ideas however if I have no idea what is wrong I would have some difficulty in knowing if I am wrong if that makes any sense.

David

OP
L

lifewise

Taimishu said:
Lifewise
Thanks good ideas however if I have no idea what is wrong I would have some difficulty in knowing if I am wrong if that makes any sense.

David

Sorry David,

In that case these ideas will not help. It is very important for people who study by correspondence have the knowledge of what to look for. Is there any manuals or books for your style that may help you with the "correction" process of your studies?

Taimishu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
lifewise said:
Sorry David,

In that case these ideas will not help. It is very important for people who study by correspondence have the knowledge of what to look for. Is there any manuals or books for your style that may help you with the "correction" process of your studies?
Lifewise
sorry for what? you have given me ideas and I thank you for them.
The point is that with self training it is sometimes difficult to know what to do and any (?) faults that you have, and how to put them right .

In my case (Iaido) there are various books, some videos and few instructors around.
However it is nice to know that I can come on forum, ask, and help is available, thanks.

David

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have purchased a few Home study courses for further training, and found them helpful. It really all depends on what you practice, and how the teacher teaches. I practice Aikijutsu locally, and have purchased Jujutsu courses, in which supplement my training, and make it easier to advance. I also practice Ninjutsu locally, and have bought tapes for that as well. but there is a difference in buying Videos and home study courses. Videos are just that, videos. home study courses usually offer the opportunity of advancement. It helps if you practice locally, but its not entirly neccessary. I was once told that for someone to teach, it is not neccessary to have a high rank, affiliations with a major org, multiple black belts, and so on. it is only required that they can teach. if you think about it, that is all that is relevant. period. I mean, it helps to have 30 years of experience, but I have met teachers that have 25 years of experience and they cant teach worth beans. If someone can teach you effective MA, and do it right, that is all that matters. whether its by video or not.

K.D. Elliott

KyleShort

Green Belt
Reaction score
Have you had a chance to review Richard Van Donk's home study course for Bujinkan? I was 5th Kyu before my dojo closed down so I was not able to advance. I have toyed with the idea of looking at this course, though I have to admit that I am very weary of homestudy courses. They could be good if you got some FTF time say once a month or so...dunno.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
ok, I just have to ask. Is the "yu-kan-do" a translation of something japanese or is it a play on words for "you can do".

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
KyleShort said:
Have you had a chance to review Richard Van Donk's home study course for Bujinkan? I was 5th Kyu before my dojo closed down so I was not able to advance. I have toyed with the idea of looking at this course, though I have to admit that I am very weary of homestudy courses. They could be good if you got some FTF time say once a month or so...dunno.
Kyle, I live in Tracy, maybe we should talk. I don't know what system you come from but we are close enough to talk about what you're looking for. I have students in San Jose, San Diego and Antioch. I'm primarily interested at the moment in teaching small groups in differant locations. My email and phone# are here.

http://www.scientific-streetfighting.com/academyinformation.html
James

KyleShort

Green Belt
Reaction score
akja,

I certainly appreciate the offer. I am actually a dedicated student of escrima and I don't have any plans to branch off and work in other arts. My loyalty is to my teachers and a system that works very well for me =) My questioning on bujinkan home study was really only food for my personally thought...on occasion I wonder if I should continue bujinkan on free time (when I am not doing escrima) but those are passing thoughts.

Thanks again though. BTW, I had actually looked at your site in the past and it looks like you teach some interesting material!

-Kyle

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
KyleShort said:
akja,

I certainly appreciate the offer. I am actually a dedicated student of escrima and I don't have any plans to branch off and work in other arts. My loyalty is to my teachers and a system that works very well for me =) My questioning on bujinkan home study was really only food for my personally thought...on occasion I wonder if I should continue bujinkan on free time (when I am not doing escrima) but those are passing thoughts.

Thanks again though. BTW, I had actually looked at your site in the past and it looks like you teach some interesting material!

-Kyle
Dedication is the key to staying in the arts. I'm also a student of Inayan Eskrima, it definately enhances what I have.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Real training or video training,both need feed backs. This a phyical style of trainining, not book learning for written test. Videos is good with partners to practice with. But alone you will get some ideas? Real and alive teaching will always be the way to go! If you have been training for awhile and understand most of the principles of fighting and movements? Videos can and may help you improve your self. I have many videos and each offer some great advice,but I perfer a real class with real teachers and students to practice and train with. You get instant feedback...OW? Not recomended for beginers, unless you are training in a class at the same time. BUT, can be done! Life does not offer us many choices in the places we live,..except what you can! or that's why?..people move! Just my thoughts.....and ALOHA

All professional sports..the other player,boxers,karates fighters,study the opponent...thru films and videos....cause it works! Home study?

Latest Discussions