Video Clips of Mr. Oyata

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
TaiChiTJ said:
Thanks for these clips. My tai chi chuan and self defense teacher, Willie Lim studied Oyata's stuff for awhile, went to a few of his camps, and he says he is one of the best Karate men in the states. He has a few old videos of him but I think he would really appreciate seeing these so I will email him the link.

Thanks Again.
I have heard of Willie Lim from a former student of his (at least I think he was)….a guy buy the name of Sean Barkes from Lincoln in UK. I met Sean while he was in Japan and then introduced him to a very good school for TCM here. He then went back to the UK and became a licensed TCM practitioner.

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That could very well be, as Willie makes a trip or two every year to the U.K and does seminars. I think he's due to for another one the last week of March.

VSanhodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
I do agree Mr Oyata is an amazing Man.

I have a full set (13) Videos, In his videos he shows the kata and some of the Bunkai. In addition I have been blessed to have been able to tain with Mr Logue and Renshi Shull and have gotten to see some of thier private collection of Oyata videos. Truly a great art and a privledge to be associated with.

Thanks

San

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
VSanhodo said:
I do agree Mr Oyata is an amazing Man.

I have a full set (13) Videos, In his videos he shows the kata and some of the Bunkai. In addition I have been blessed to have been able to tain with Mr Logue and Renshi Shull and have gotten to see some of thier private collection of Oyata videos. Truly a great art and a privledge to be associated with.

Thanks

San
I have seen and felt Mr. Oyata do some pretty amazing stuff....(it was effective no matter what color belt he had on ;) ). Before I met him I thought kick boxing was “it” and karate was a joke….Mr. Oyata actually made me a “believer” in “old style” Karate.

The 13 video set is a good start.

Mr. Logue and Mr. Shull are two gentlemen that really know their stuff. They are both good at all aspects of the art from tuite, bogu and kobudo. If I were you and interested in Okinawan arts I would train with them as often as possible.

A Bogu helmet of Mr. Logue’s……notice the dented bars…..those came from punches.

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]
men.jpg
[/font]

F

Fbettincourt

Actually I only said, "I thought he wore a gold belt." You are the one that had a problem with that.

The panties line was out of line, especially since I wear boxers. Mr. Rousellot, you must have been thinking of someone else or rummaging through your underwear drawer before coming up with that line. Real men wear boxers. I will not speak for you.

Peace!

FB

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
Mr. Logue and Mr. Shull are two gentlemen that really know their stuff. They are both good at all aspects of the art from tuite, bogu and kobudo. If I were you and interested in Okinawan arts I would train with them as often as possible.

A couple of questions. I train in a Korean art and some of your terms are unfamiliar.

1. Tuite - are these grasping or grappling techniques? Like jujutsu?
2. Bogu - ?
3. Kumite - ?
4. Kobudo - Is this the practice of Budo?

Thanks, in advance...

upnorthkyosa

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
A couple of questions. I train in a Korean art and some of your terms are unfamiliar.

1. Tuite - are these grasping or grappling techniques? Like jujutsu?
2. Bogu - ?
3. Kumite - ?
4. Kobudo - Is this the practice of Budo?

Thanks, in advance...

upnorthkyosa
Sorry about that. The following are rough translations.
1) Tuite = grappling techniques
2) Bogu = (lit. protective gear) Sparring using gloves and helmets like the one above.

3)Kumite = Sparring

4)Kobudo = old style weapons like staff, sai, and so on.

Here is a small list of terms we use:

http://www.kushu.com/dict.htm

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys..before yet another thread gets locked, lets try to refrain from personal shots, and stay on topic about the video clips.

Mike

W

wave

Hi

Sean was indeed a students of Willie Lim's. I used to host Willie a bit in the UK. He is a fantastic MA and a superb person. One of the very best. A true Gentleman.

Russell

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
wave said:
Hi

Sean was indeed a students of Willie Lim's. I used to host Willie a bit in the UK. He is a fantastic MA and a superb person. One of the very best. A true Gentleman.

Russell
You wouldn't happen to have Sean's contact info would you?

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i hope to see oyata this summer in MA, I have difficulty watching a video and and comprehending it, hopfully this July I can see things in live action.

Latest Discussions