Lessons from YouTube

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings and Salutations!

Thought we could share some YouTube video clips of things to do and things to avoid. While searching YouTube I saw some clips I thought we could watch and discuss. Also if you have any clips you want to share please post.

LINK:

Instructor/Presenter:

Style:
Technique/Form:

Rating:
Length:

Summary:

Closer Look/Watch Carefully:

Please do not post "my daddy can beat up your daddy" type of clips. Each MA offers something to be learned. I do not wish to start a flame war.

These video clips DO NOT replace the instructions of a qualified teacher.

OP
Hawke

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
LINK:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3p-yA-RpyY&NR=1

Instructor:Datu Kelly

Style: Modern Arnis
Technique/Form:Anyo #1

Rating: PG13 (mild profanity)
Length: 9:50

Summary:
Everything we do has form (foot work, kicks, punches, or using a gun). Datu Kelly believes in teaching form last so you can feel what you are imagining.

Some questions he asks is:
What do you feel?
How to apply the form?
What other style can you mix it with?

Watch Carefully:
Seek out the other hand.
Reach over your hand (do not go under your arm).

OP
Hawke

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ACK!

I posted this in the wrong section. OOPS! Can a MOD move this to the General Martial Art Talk Section? <sheepish grin>

Thanks.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ACK!

I posted this in the wrong section. OOPS! Can a MOD move this to the General Martial Art Talk Section? <sheepish grin>

Thanks.

Its been moved. :)

Mike

OP
Hawke

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
LINK:

Instructor/Presenter: Guro Buzz Smith

Style: Maharlika Kuntaw
Technique/Form: Concepts

Rating: PG
Length: 8:32

Summary:
Guro Buzz goes over the basic concepts of Maharlika Kuntaw.

Opposite side wrist grab.

Same side shirt grab.

Being sensitative to the other person to determine which method to use. The other person determines the motion (pulling, pushing, none).

Closer Look/Watch Carefully:
Look where the energy is coming from. Reminds me of some of the push hands drills from other MAs. Being sensative to the other person.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Hawke

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When watching
here's some concepts to look for.

Stole this from Bill Bednarick:

I guess the favorite stuff for me is the wave, topple, collapse and center of the wheel so I'll cover them.

The wave - In Kuntaw one concept we use is called "the wave" You create a void for the attacker to fill and surge into that void with your attack. It should feel like you are a wave pulling out to sea then crashing into the shore. It is a deception concept and a power generating concept.

Topple - In Kuntaw allot of movements create a situation where the attackers balance is taken, when the force is applied to them high it causes them to topple. It should feel like they have a pivot in the middle of their body and you apply force to the top causing the bottom to swing up.

Collapse - Another balance disruption concept. Like a building being demolished the attacker has his structure broken then overloaded by the upper floors causing him to collapse nearly straight down. It can be started with a head manipulation then your force is applied downward to overload the compromised structure. The damage is similar to building that fell on to itself, the lower levels are crushed by the upper levels. You should be very careful with the collapse in training you can hurt a training partner easily using this concept to vigorously.

Center of the wheel - This is a pretty common concept in many arts. In Kuntaw we seek to move into the attack and redirect it while turning like the hub of a wheel. It is very good for strong circular attacks.

Last edited by a moderator: