Very strange TaeKwonDo instructional roundhouse kick

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The angled version is used primarily for lower kicks. It is faster, and can slip between the guard and the ribs at times when a kick coming in parallel to the ground will only hit their guard.

Are you referring to the kick I'm questioning, which appears to have point of contact with the toes? I have never seen an approved turning kick which goes straight up in the air like a front kick.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The turning kick as taught by ITF schools is not the same as the roundhouse as taught by KKW schools.

Traditional ball of the foot in patterns are usually the same (there are exceptions to very modern schools).

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My instructor leans more than I do.

I can kick head height too.... View attachment 22586

That doesn't look head height, but if you say so. Still can't see your supporting foot, but from what I can see, it still looks about like one of our green belts.

Are you referring to the kick I'm questioning, which appears to have point of contact with the toes? I have never seen an approved turning kick which goes straight up in the air like a front kick.

The ITF turning kick contacts with the ball of the foot. I didn't see any kicks going straight up in the video you posted. Just various angles, which are common variants in KKW, ITF, and MDK TKD.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That doesn't look head height, but if you say so. Still can't see your supporting foot, but from what I can see, it still looks about like one of our green belts.

The ITF turning kick contacts with the ball of the foot. I didn't see any kicks going straight up in the video you posted. Just various angles, which are common variants in KKW, ITF, and MDK TKD.

ITF contacts with either the instep or ball of the foot, just like KKW. His toes are pointing up. There is no variant of an ITF approved roundhouse with toes pointing up.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The first kick is sometimes (incorrectly) referred to as Paltung (an incorrect rendering of the korean Bal deung, meaning instep) or Bichagi (diagonal kick). It's a kick that was primarily used for sport purposes in the 80s and 90s. It's now been mostly superseded by the dollyo chagi due to changes in WT rules that encourage higher kicking.

The video is not a good example - way too much arm flapping going on, and very little hip or foot turn.

It's a functional kick when done well to a relevant target, both for sport and SD purposes. I wouldn't recommend copying the one in the video though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
More thoughts. The reason it's mostly gone is that for head height kicking the diagonal path of the kick makes it difficult to get it past the opponent's shoulder. It was only ever really a mid section kick. Using it to the head is probably the result of too little ring experience or too little flexibility to perform dollyo chagi.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why do you approve of a foot flap with no power? I have no quarrels about his second version which is a proper turning kick.

You don't really have to punt a guy in the head hard yo hurt him. A foot and leg carry a lot of weight.

So those goofy kicks that don't go where you expect them to are pretty cool.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I actually remember now my ITF instructor showing me that kick in a derogatory manner when I was a white belt asking about the difference in style between ITF and KKW.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I actually remember now my ITF instructor showing me that kick in a derogatory manner when I was a white belt asking about the difference in style between ITF and KKW.
Sounds like a closed mind.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like a closed mind.

I thought he was intentionally doing it wrong but there is apparently such a kick. I don't recall ever being taught that the 6 months I did KKW as a kid.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I thought he was intentionally doing it wrong but there is apparently such a kick. I don't recall ever being taught that the 6 months I did KKW as a kid.
So much depends on the instructor

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm a black belt in Taekwondo and that looks like a poorly executed front snap kick too me. Why is he calling that a roundhouse kick?
When he does the air kick, he's not turning his hip over. But when he hits the bag, he does. Not very consistent in his technique.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When he does the air kick, he's not turning his hip over. But when he hits the bag, he does. Not very consistent in his technique.

I can't tell from the angle but it looks like that way yeah. How come?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It will make my day if a TaeKwondo instructor worth his salt approves of that as a roundhouse kick.
It is a roundhouse kick. Credentials upon request but yeah, I am pretty salty.
Standing foot pivots, knee is not pointed upward, foot is turned over, shoulders are not straight, etc... It is classic WT. If a person can make good power and speed there is no need to rotate any further. Most people cannot do that.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is true of most people when air kicking at speed. Much easier to rotate and then return when you have resistance at the end of the kick.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep; spinning crescent kicks.
Dude, you are embarrassing everyone.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That is true of most people when air kicking at speed. Much easier to rotate and then return when you have resistance at the end of the kick.

Not if you spent the adequate amount of hours kicking air.