very slow chi sau.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does anyone else sometimes practice chi sau at a very , very , almost excruciatingly slow pace just standing in the one spot.

For years I was always told by some of the senior instructors and my Sifu that it would improve the quality of my chi sau and ultimately my Wing Chun.

But I never had time for this , I tried it a couple of times for short periods and I thought it was boring .

I always had to be moving around , hitting , trapping , and being hit otherwise I thought I wasn't really training and just wasting my time.

But they were right , at very , very slow speed you can make sure your movements are absolutely correct and properly positioned.
Because the best defence against any trap or attack in chi sau is perfect rolling.

You can also work on really projecting your forward force from the elbow through out the whole cycle from Tan to Bong / Bong to Tan and the Fook sau between its upper and lower positions.

Even force from both arms must be kept on during the whole cycle of movements , this forms a type of shield.

Often with very fast chi sau , techniques are not as correct as they should be , not on centre , or the forward force comes on and off at different points during the cycle , usually with the Fook sau being the main offender.

This allows the opponent to detect a weakness in the shield and strike through.

Doing chi sau at a very slow speed also enables you to really feel the movements of your partner and detect where he is weak and also where you are weak , because you have time to concentrate on each minute action of your arms.

This is something that can be lost in normal speed chi sau because things are happening to fast for you to detect and make micro adjustments.

It is not boring if you concentrate on your stance , making sure each and every arm action is perfect and also trying to intensely focus on the movement of your partners arms.

This could be thought of as fine-tuning for your chi sau , probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go back to single arm chi sau occasionally either.

You still need to do some of the rough stuff at high speed to be functional in my opinion , but its also good to go back and refine your technique as well.

dosk3n

Green Belt
Reaction score
My sifu has always said to start slow and build up speed.

In an old thread there was a "discussion" about certain groups fetching in Chi Sau later and having an advantage over people that start doing Chi Sau to early.

Well a middle ground is starting Chi Sau straight away but slowly only concentrating on position. Then build up the speed.

Anyway thats just how we do it and it is 1 of the 100,000,000 other ways that people practice WC :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Why do you think Taiji push hands, both single arm and two arms starts slowly. Eventually it gets fast, but in the beginning it can be painfully slow.

.Doing chi sau at a very slow speed also enables you to really feel the movements of your partner and detect where he is weak and also where you are weak , because you have time to concentrate on each minute action of your arms.

It is also a great way to figure out how to find your opponents center as well as a great way to learn how to shrink yours so it is hard to find.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Mook Jong Man, will be trying some mega slow chi sau.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Does anyone else sometimes practice chi sau at a very , very , almost excruciatingly slow pace just standing in the one spot.

For years I was always told by some of the senior instructors and my Sifu that it would improve the quality of my chi sau and ultimately my Wing Chun.

But I never had time for this , I tried it a couple of times for short periods and I thought it was boring .

I always had to be moving around , hitting , trapping , and being hit otherwise I thought I wasn't really training and just wasting my time.

But they were right , at very , very slow speed you can make sure your movements are absolutely correct and properly positioned.
Because the best defence against any trap or attack in chi sau is perfect rolling.

You can also work on really projecting your forward force from the elbow through out the whole cycle from Tan to Bong / Bong to Tan and the Fook sau between its upper and lower positions.

Even force from both arms must be kept on during the whole cycle of movements , this forms a type of shield.

Often with very fast chi sau , techniques are not as correct as they should be , not on centre , or the forward force comes on and off at different points during the cycle , usually with the Fook sau being the main offender.

This allows the opponent to detect a weakness in the shield and strike through.

Doing chi sau at a very slow speed also enables you to really feel the movements of your partner and detect where he is weak and also where you are weak , because you have time to concentrate on each minute action of your arms.

This is something that can be lost in normal speed chi sau because things are happening to fast for you to detect and make micro adjustments.

It is not boring if you concentrate on your stance , making sure each and every arm action is perfect and also trying to intensely focus on the movement of your partners arms.

This could be thought of as fine-tuning for your chi sau , probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go back to single arm chi sau occasionally either.

You still need to do some of the rough stuff at high speed to be functional in my opinion , but its also good to go back and refine your technique as well.

Very very true. Slow chi sao is an amazing way to build up skill and technique and is very similar in concept to what other arts do (slow shadow boxing, slow fencing, etc). Even BJJ guys do 'light rolls' where they move slowly, relying on technique rather than quick hits or strength

The only thing you have to watch out for is to make sure that your partner agrees to doing it slow to. I had one guy who wouldnt train slow and resorted to quick movemnts to get cheap shots in! Some people just want to hit and dont appreciate the importance of building stick and structure

Its also incredibly tiring on the arms!! Great drill though!

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i,m so gonna crucify my partners shoulders with this one mwwwaahhhhaaaaaaa.
thanks guys
matsu

Poor Uke

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yep I do this from time to time. Its a very good drill to do with beginners. they are often suprised how easily their positions are over come withouit any effort.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slow practice is very beneficial, to be cognoscente of your moves, at all stages of movement.

Latest Discussions