Vasectomy?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
-MODERATOR NOTE-

Thread edited to conform to Martial Talk Policies.

-Technopunk
-Martial Talk Super Moderator

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
I'm sore just reading all this....

Hey, at least this involves anesthesia. Check out the woman's forum thread about kicks to the groin!
Actually, you're better off not. Your brain is what will become sore.

jonah2

Green Belt
Reaction score
jonah2 said:
Just had my op date confirmed as 27th September - seems a bit real now!!!

jonah
Well had it done - why I'm discussing it with potentially thousands of people is beyond me, but it may help some one.

I went in on tuesday 27th for the op. Had a 30 minute consultation with nusing staff and consultant at 12.15 and went under the knife at 2.30.

Slight unpleasant sensation (similar to a grazing blow to the testicles) each time the local anesthetic (sp) went in (one on each side). But appart from that no pain at all and I walked out just after 3.0pm following a cup of tea.

Had a jovial chat with doctors and nurses during the procedure which all felt abit sureal whilst listening to David Bowey on CD.

That night was a bit unconfortable, at worst, and today (day 4) have no problems except very mild bruising.

Missed out on training this week but see what next week brings - will probably do most things exept sparring for the next couple of weeks.

Hope this helps the original question

jonah

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jonah2, I want to commend you for discussing this so openly and honestly with all of us. It seems the focus is so very much on women's health for so long that it is refreshing to see people speak out on men's health issues (I think the Armstrong saga did well for you fellas). It's very important that men's issues be discussed for demystification.

Thank you for sharing and I'm also very glad things went well. :asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tea, David Bowie, a stiff upper lip about the pain--what a decidedly British vasectomy!

Glad all went well. Good luck!

jonah2

Green Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
...what a decidedly British vasectomy!
I say old boy - it certainly was

And the little pinky was up too - THE LITTLE FINGER HOLDING THE TEA CUP - you filthy minded so and so's

jonah

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but I figured Id update it with some current information. As I type this, I'm sitting with an ice pack on the "boys" recovering from my vasectomy. My doc did a fairly new procedure called the "no scalpel" vasectomy. There was no needle or sutures either. The anesthesia was applied with an air gun and the procedure involved "punching" a small opening and doing the work in there. It was all closed up with a few drops of adhesive. Not the way I would have "liked" to have spent my day, but compared to my wife getting a tubal it was not really too bad. Ive felt worse after a groin shot than I do now. If you are thinking about it, the anticipation is way worse than the event. Now its a matter of making myself wait a week till i get to workout again. I dont feel all that disabled right now , but I was warned to not let the lack of pain fool ya.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but I figured Id update it with some current information. As I type this, I'm sitting with an ice pack on the "boys" recovering from my vasectomy. My doc did a fairly new procedure called the "no scalpel" vasectomy. There was no needle or sutures either. The anesthesia was applied with an air gun and the procedure involved "punching" a small opening and doing the work in there. It was all closed up with a few drops of adhesive. Not the way I would have "liked" to have spent my day, but compared to my wife getting a tubal it was not really too bad. Ive felt worse after a groin shot than I do now. If you are thinking about it, the anticipation is way worse than the event. Now its a matter of making myself wait a week till i get to workout again. I dont feel all that disabled right now , but I was warned to not let the lack of pain fool ya.

I have been suffering from a severe case of "sliceonmynutsaphobia" and have been putting it off and putting it off and just taking the nagging from the wife. Of course having someone shooting the boys with an airgun doesn't sound that pleasent either...

Anyway, thanks for the update.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
My father performed hundreds, maybe thousands of vasectomies over the course of a long career as a urologist. From what he said aspirin and maybe an icepack for a day is all that most people need. The anticipation is, as you say, much worse than the reality. He spent a lot of time putting guys at ease before the procedure.

Of course, there was the German patient. After prepping him, when he was approaching with cold steel, my dad said conversationally "Ich bein Jude." :D

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep. And you know what, I'm looking forward to no more contraceptives, no more pills, contraptions and worry. The discomfort is a small price to pay.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My father performed hundreds, maybe thousands of vasectomies over the course of a long career as a urologist. From what he said aspirin and maybe an icepack for a day is all that most people need. The anticipation is, as you say, much worse than the reality. He spent a lot of time putting guys at ease before the procedure.

Of course, there was the German patient. After prepping him, when he was approaching with cold steel, my dad said conversationally "Ich bein Jude." :D
Aw, man! That was just cold...funny, but cold.

I had mine done the old fashioned way, no air gun. I actually got to kinda sit up and watch the procedure. Interesting. The anesthesia didn't wear off til I got home so I drove myself. A bag of frozen peas works great to help with swelling and advil was the only pain killer I needed. I had mine done on a friday and was back to work driving a truck on monday. No problems. Best thing about it is, as Blotan said, no more worries about contraception. Do you have any idea what that does for spontaneity?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm gonna print this thread and give it to my husband.
upnorthkyosa said:
"sliceonmynutsaphobia"
:lfao::rofl:

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorthkyosa
"sliceonmynutsaphobia"

LOL!

Some interesting snippets of information in this thread.

For me, the anxiety (aka sliceonmynutsaphobia) leading up was much worse than the procedure. I took it easy for a few days and was fine. Everyone once in a while I would have a dull achiness, but that went away after a couple weeks.

Prior to the operation the doctor did share a couple horror stories that included people doing really stupid stuff right after the procedure, such as riding a bicycle home from the vasectomy and another person jumping down from a flat bed truck and jarring the junk.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My biggest issue is laying off working out for a week. I dont feel that bad but I dont want that to fool me.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good plan, BH. One of the guys in our Silat class was a Physician's Assistant back in the day. A couple days after his vasectomy he was feeling pretty good and did a heavy workout.

At least now when people try to brag about how tough they are he can always shut them up with the story about how he had to re-sew his own vasectomy incision.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorthkyosa
"sliceonmynutsaphobia"

LOL!

I wont say I wasnt anxious before the event because I was, bit I looked at it as a test of courage. If its something you want to do, dont let fear stop you.

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I had one in the spring of '94. The lady Urologist assured me it was a rutine operation. And it was for the most part. I dropped my pants to me ankles and I layed spread out on the table in all my glory. Once I got the local shot the Interns or residents or what ever you call them showed up to see how it's done. The interesting thing that I remember the most is the smell and I swear there was smoke rising up from my balls as the Dr. cauterised the ends of the vascdefrence. But she tied the ends off And 45 mins after I dropped my pants the doctor showed me the 1/2'' section she removed from each nut and all that good stuff. I went to the local mall later that day. No problems. A Month or so later I took the sample in. Every thing was good. My daughter was born Dec. '95. I went back to another doctor and went through the proceedure again. This time I was off my feet a couple of weeks. It felt like I was getting my intestines ripped out. The doctor couldn't give me a reason but he said that one of the tubes had miraculously grown back together. (If you want a girl get the left nut cut :)) My wife had her tubes tied too. And by the way she is my daughter. My wife did pray for a blue eyed blond haired girl while she was pregnant with our middle child...Zach.

Latest Discussions