Van Halen, back to together yet again!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to say in all honesty that I haven't bought a VH album since "Women and Children First" - they went off the beaten track (yeah, music pun attack!) for me with the overdone quirkyness (courtesy of Diamond Dave).

VH1 is one of those must-have-in-the-collection disks tho'.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bah! The last time I saw a pic of Eddie, he looked like Phyllis Diller.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Like Joe Dirt said, "Van Halen, not Van Hagar."

I hope they do it.

Amen to that bruddah! The addition of Hagar may have helped the careers of the Van Halen brothers and allowed Eddie to go in the direction that he wanted to go with HIS music ... they did have a few good songs I'll admit but nothing absolutely nothing beats the first 4-5 albums with Roth in the Lead Vocals. However when they got to 1984... the organ music definitely muted the edge of their cutting riffs. But then again Eddie was expanding now that he had the money to do so.
:idunno: is it any wonder why some women don't date musicians?

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Amen to that bruddah! The addition of Hagar may have helped the careers of the Van Halen brothers and allowed Eddie to go in the direction that he wanted to go with HIS music ... they did have a few good songs I'll admit but nothing absolutely nothing beats the first 4-5 albums with Roth in the Lead Vocals. However when they got to 1984... the organ music definitely muted the edge of their cutting riffs. But then again Eddie was expanding now that he had the money to do so.
:idunno: is it any wonder why some women don't date musicians?

Yea. I'll tell ya, I wasn't too young to appreciate those guys before the 1984 album. I may have been in elementary, but when my friend's parents weren't home, we took off the classical LP's and threw on VH and cranked that little player as loud as it'd go. :)

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Bah! The last time I saw a pic of Eddie, he looked like Phyllis Diller.
Yeah but Eddie’s ex-squeeze Valerie B. found way too many trips to the refrigerator, which the premiere Lifetime TV actress has parlayed into free publicity:

“The 47-year-old actress is enjoying a career rebound since she became a Jenny Craig spokeswoman and pledged to lose 30 pounds, which she has since revised to 40 pounds.”

More power to VB… for it is written he who is without extra poundage cast the first donut!

So let me play an old fart cynic, as in mentioning $$$MONEY$$$.
:soapbox:

Are all these renunion tours because the changing dynamics within the music industry.

When some of us and the group Van Halen were much younger, concerts existed to be traveling commercials for album sales. Because album sales was the money shot.

This century however, because of digital music and other reasons, live concerts are now the money shot for the musicians.

Well that is - if you had been a mega stadium act twenty plus years ago, and you can pack in a bunch of affluent, empty-nest, old rockers who will now pay $200 plus a ticket to reclaim their youth for a couple of hours

Latest Discussions