Value in learning TSD with HRD

ancient warrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
the 1st 6 belts of tsd are what u learn for most tkd karate black belts, then brown -1/2 black start hrd training . thats y u recieve your yellow sash after your bb in tsd when you recieve your black sash in hrd you are a 2nd degree in tsd >>>>>>>1st off you arent starting from scratch you are almost a bb in hrd now., Adding training in the same style is only going to help your base grow >>>>>>>>>>>>>wow so much bs i'm worried !!! why so much anger between hrd students ?we all have the same meng sae i believe,,

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the 1st 6 belts of tsd are what u learn for most tkd karate black belts, then brown -1/2 black start hrd training . thats y u recieve your yellow sash after your bb in tsd when you recieve your black sash in hrd you are a 2nd degree in tsd >>>>>>>1st off you arent starting from scratch you are almost a bb in hrd now., Adding training in the same style is only going to help your base grow >>>>>>>>>>>>>wow so much bs i'm worried !!! why so much anger between hrd students ?we all have the same meng sae i believe,,
Hello ancientwarrior.

Could you please post in full words and sentences? We don't do the textspeak thing here ... thanks!

As to anger, there's no anger with me, just much curiosity. But I wonder that you feel a yellow sash in HRD is "almost to bb" - there are indeed eight belts there - yellow, green, purple, blue, brown, red, half-black then black.

So curious, then ... with the first black rank in HRD, you have a second degree black in TSD? Are we to assume that the curriculum for 2nd degree TSD is, in its entirety, the color rank curriculum of HRD?

Thanks.

OP
lulflo

lulflo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello SheSulsa,

Based on the curriculum I have been learning, one would become a brown belt (basically) after the black belt of Tae Soo Do (TSD), the difference is that the requirements of the next three belts is expanded upon to include any missed material, but one would also have weapons training basics from their black belt received. I guess the idea, per my instructor, is that the student would have learned how to be a student prior to taking on the Hwa Rang Do curriculum in its entirety. I know there are the few and the proud who are die hard students from the beginning to the end, but I have even seen some of them drop out at about blue sash ranking. I am studying alongside a lady who has been through the TSD curriculum and has her black belt rank. She is now studying Ho Shin Kwan Jiel as her next set and that is what I had in brown belt. But she has some weapons training that I don't have and she also has learned teaching skills that I have not. Along with the techniques learned as a black belt in TSD, the next three ranks provide; Ki power, Weapons and Teaching skills before testing for black sash in Hwa Rang Do.

At least that was what I remember my instructor telling me. Hope that helps a little.

Farang - Larry

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So ... you graduate from TSD with your black belt and go to brown in HRD?? I thought it was yellow.

Is it yellow or is it brown? OR are the techniques just shuffled around?

The woman you are training with, Lulflo, she is now working Ho Shin Kwan Jiel Gi Sul as her next set? That is indeed brown - is that her TSD 2nd black curriculum, her HRD brown belt curriculum ... or both?

mystic warrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Shesulsa
It may depened on if you are training with people from WHRDA or not.
if you are then yes it is yellow.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shesulsa
It may depened on if you are training with people from WHRDA or not.
if you are then yes it is yellow.

*blink* *blink*

Ho Shin Kwon Jiel Gi Sul is defense against throws, no?

cgb1323

White Belt
Reaction score
Kong Kyuk Kwan Jyel Gi Sul - Offensive Joint Breaking - Brown Sash
Hoshin Bang Too Gi Sul - Defense against throws - 1/2 black sash

there really isn't any dan ranking after BB in TSD. It was used at one point - but there really wasn't any curriculum it was simply your HRD dan ranking + 1 = TSD dan ranking.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kong Kyuk Kwan Jyel Gi Sul - Offensive Joint Breaking - Brown Sash
Hoshin Bang Too Gi Sul - Defense against throws - 1/2 black sash

there really isn't any dan ranking after BB in TSD. It was used at one point - but there really wasn't any curriculum it was simply your HRD dan ranking + 1 = TSD dan ranking.
*smacks self in head* I was always bad at Korean.

cgb1323

White Belt
Reaction score
LOL - no problem. It gets confusing sometimes. So many sets so little time
icon12.gif

OP
lulflo

lulflo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I end up doing a lot of smiling and nodding, if I eventually understand it all, I will be happy to expand upon it. Sorry I can't be of more help, now the BJJ bug has hit the classroom, so that has taken much time lately. I am going to keep on keepin' on, but in the mean time, with black sash testing coming up in six months or so with my primary instructor/original instructor, it looks like many trips up to Payson for me. Isn't life fun?!

ps I gotta train harder, but that can always be said. sigh.

Farang - Larry

cgb1323

White Belt
Reaction score
Smiling and nodding is a game I am all too familiar with.

To answer an earlier post. By design a TSD BB receives his/her HRD yellow sash during their ceremony (WHRDA) and then continue their training in HRD.
The time it takes to get to Black sash is about the same. Since TSD started there have been more students making it to the higher ranks than there used to be. Before TSD the majority of students dropped at yellow or green sash and they took a longer amount of time at each rank.

I like what Larry said (or to take one from the KSW folk - "We need more practice".
icon7.gif

Latest Discussions