Traditional HRD Syllabus:pros vs. cons?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One thing of many: The very nature of the repetitiveness we were discussing earlier can encourage one to examine all techniques to find other applications. Many, many options!

F

floweringknight

The very nature of the repetitiveness we were discussing earlier can encourage one to examine all techniques to find other applications. Many, many options!

I agree totally! I have challenged (myself and) my students before with the following exercise as an example: Try and come up with 5 different variations each for all the wrist grab defenses (Ho shin son mok sul). That's 150 defenses against just a simple wrist grab. I use these techniques specifically because I believe they are the FOUNDATION of basically the whole entire art. Thoughts? Comments? Other positives of traditional training??

Z

zac_duncan

"Thoughts? Comments? Other positives of traditional training??

The biggest positives I see are that through the traditional training, a student is assured of knowing the complete system. Also, I think the repetitive motion does help in refining the techniques. Unfortunately, it can also lead to difficulty in improvising and in my case it made it very hard for me to make the art "mine".

F

floweringknight

Unfortunately, it can also lead to difficulty in improvising and in my case it made it very hard for me to make the art "mine".

Difficulty in improvising? Hmmm. How does that make it hard to make the art "yours"? Just curious. Thanks.
How many techniques did you learn up to BB?

Z

zac_duncan

Now, this is for me, I'm sure it's not true for everyone but the rote practice made it so that I could execute Son Mak Su #11 when asked to but when my wrist was grabbed it seemed that I had to figure out what technique I wanted to do before I could execute it. Later training has led me towards starting to move and then "finding" the technique through the motion.

Now, I'm sure that this isn't true for everyone who learns in this way, and there are sure various teaching techniques can be used to combat this problem (I like the way you practice variations, that's nice). So I'm not knocking this way of learning, in fact it's the same way that under blackbelt students learn most of their techniques in our school. I'm just stating that for some students, myself included struggle in making the art dynamic when practice is primarily static.

Regarding our under black belt cirriculum As we used to be a KSW school, I learned the entirety of the KSW under black cirriculum which has something around 250-300 techniques, a few (20) have been added since then. It's my understanding that the KSW and HRD syllabuses are quite similar. So it's probably close to what your under blacks learn.

Cheers!

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think ANY Hapkido art that does so much with the Mu-Do approach as opposed to just dabbling with this weapon and that is way ahead of most other Hapkido arts. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Latest Discussions