Use kick to counter all punches

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
All? No. In situations as shown in the gif? Maybe.

A kick to the body is longer range than a punch. A kick to the leg or head isn't much different range than a punch. If you do a straight kick to the body (front kick, side kick, back kick), it can be side-stepped or pushed aside. If you roundhouse, it can be closed in on. A kick can be grabbed, and then you are off-balance.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The reason that I use the

- term "all" punches because the leading arm jab has the most reaching distance. If your kick can deal with leading arm jab, it can deal with cross, hook, uppercut as well.
- front toes push kick on the belly/chest as example because it has the most reaching distance.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The reason that I use the

- term "all" punches because the leading arm jab has the most reaching distance. If your kick can deal with leading arm jab, it can deal with cross, hook, uppercut as well.
- front toes push kick on the belly/chest as example because it has the most reaching distance.
So you're saying "use a kick to block all types of punches", not "use a kick to block every punch"?

A lot of your threads are binary choices (A or B), so it sounded like this was another all-or-nothing choice.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally, I would not use a kick to block any type of kick, but a push kick such as you show in your gif works if you have time to deploy it.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So you're saying "use a kick to block all types of punches", not "use a kick to block every punch"?

A lot of your threads are binary choices (A or B), so it sounded like this was another all-or-nothing choice.
I'm only talking about to use kick to deal with your opponent's 1st punch when he moves in with a punch (not with a kick).

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
ut a push kick such as you show in your gif works if you have time to deploy it.
Push kicks are slower. I would recommend a regular front kick that snaps out either landing with the ball of the foot or the heel.
There is always enough time for the kick. The biggest issue is "Is the kicker ready" and does the kicker have the foot work that's needed to kick.

Things that don't work.
1. Waiting to see the punch before kicking.
2. Having the kicking leg weighted.

In my opinion the best way to train the kick is to simply move around and learn how to kick within your footwork. If a person has to pause their footwork in order to set up a kick then it's going to be very difficult to land it. This requires to know kick when the kicking leg is the rear leg or the lead leg.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The biggest issue is "Is the kicker ready"
When you see a punch coming, your leg kick out without thinking. The kick become part of your natural reflex. In other words, your body will make your kick ready before you even notice it. When someone punches at your face, his chest/belly is definitely exposed for your kick.

Through MA training, we try to develop many such "natural reflex". To kick the leg out when a punch coming toward your face can be one of those.

old_man_front_kick.jpg

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
we would use this in Thai boxing mostly off the cross when the timing was right and it was also part of the standard 15 count drill if I remember correctly.

I used a front teep in an altercation many moons ago against a overhand right by a drug crazed knucklehead. Took him right off his feet. Poor guy didn’t know what hit him.

Ahhh youth

Latest Discussions