Unrealistic Punch in Training

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't suppose you can remember any of the videos? I would be very interested to see, I've never seen it in the wild.
No - I browse a lot and don't keep track of them. As I said, it was usually in the context of someone throwing a bad (often wild) punch or over-reaching (which is damnably hard to do if you step with the opposite foot, unless you follow through with the same-side foot).

EDIT: As I think about it, I do have playlist of videos I saved to go back through. Some I may have saved as examples of different punches in the wild. I'll check and see if it's in any of those.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
EDIT: As I think about it, I do have playlist of videos I saved to go back through. Some I may have saved as examples of different punches in the wild. I'll check and see if it's in any of those.
Much appreciated, thank you.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Much appreciated, thank you.
You are welcome. I actually need to get better at keeping track of some of these. I have a notion of setting up my projector in the training area and showing students some examples of the types of attacks we are working on, so they can try to simulate/emulate the attack in a video. Maybe I'll start working on that while I'm searching for an example of that punch.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In training, how do you or your partner/students feed a punch to practice techniques? I see a lot of index punches doing the step punch where as the person throws a straight punch with the R hand, also steps with the R foot and the punch "lands" the same time as the foot (not to be confused with the jab). I've also heard someone refer to it as the "swinging door" punch.

I have never seen anyone punch this way in a fight or even in sparring so it is my opinion that it's unrealistic but I would like to hear from people who train this way and the reason behind it. Thanks.
We throw light jabs at each other for reaction time and parrying. Usually in this kind of drill, as a counter we throw a light/no-contact strike or a penetration shot.

Latest Discussions