Unrealistic expectations on natural ability

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
How many of you know someone who thinks that if they get in a fight, they will just "get angry" or "go caveman" and win? Even though they have no training or real experience.

Did you use to be over confident like this before training in martial arts? Did martial arts training initially increase or decrease your confidence?

I think every guy needs a certain level of confidence to put his pants on and walk out the door, so it's very easy to tell ourselves lies.

What stories do you have with people like this? Or what's your story of self discovery regarding your true ability?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many of you know someone who thinks that if they get in a fight, they will just "get angry" or "go caveman" and win? Even though they have no training or real experience.
I've heard people say this. I find it funny.
Did you use to be over confident like this before training in martial arts?
I was about 7, so no.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
My great uncle put gloves on me when I was about 8 or 9 and I tried to hit him until I was out of breath. I couldn’t even touch him. No illusions, but I knew I wanted to be able to dodge and move like that.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've known a few folks over the years that sincerely believed if they had to fight they'd win because they would "just go nuts."

Unfortunately for a couple of them, it didn't go that way. They went nuts, alright, gassed out thirty seconds later and had to be rescued.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There are individuals who possess natural speed, reaction and strength, as well as psychological toughness and ferocity/aggressiveness, that can do well in a fight without much or any formal training. These types often, by their nature, have been in fights before. But, without actual fight experience, there is no guarantee these gifts can be applied, and too much untested confidence can be dangerous. However, the same can be said for trained martial artists. Of course, having all these assets makes one quite formidable.

I put opponents into one of two categories: 1. skinny uncoordinated and skittish. 2. everyone else. As you can tell, confident and skilled as I may be, I treat most any opponent as someone who can hurt me and plan accordingly. Aside from their potential/unknown fighting ability, there is always the X factor. These things must be respected, and no result should be taken for granted. At best, I enter the situation with "cautious optimism." To me, this means maintaining discipline to not get sloppy or stupid and keeping alert for openings.

I think that there can be times that Sun Tzu called "desperate ground" when all bets are off with victory doubtful and time to go ape-sh*t nuclear. Fortunately, I've never found/put myself in this situation.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A has courage but no MA training. B has MA training. When A runs into B and tries to knock B's head off, how can A prevent himself not running into B's kick?

Latest Discussions