Unbelievable

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

But to tell your students that your opponent(presumably the aggressor) will hang on out of confusion so don't worry about them letting go? Intellectually lazy and completely disconnected from reality.

Jeff

Yeah, that sounds a little weak. In the Hapkido I studied we had a lot of wrist grab defenses. Either hand, both hands, front and back. In the orient, at least Korea and Vietnam, it is a little more common to grab people that way, and certainly it was not uncommon to try to immobilize one of both hands to keep them from weapons in days gone by.

As to letting go, we usually made slight feints to make them think we were going to move another way and make them tighten their grip and move to resist us. That made it easier to move the way we wanted, in fact, they were ususally helping us move the way we wanted, and hanging on more.

They may indeed let go sometimes, but usually the adrenaline is strong enough to cause them to try to hang on long enough to make the counter-attack. And the counter attack is supposed to be quick, not giving them time to let go anyway, as well as my grabs will not let them get too far from where I want them to be. That is often lost at demostration speeds.

Well they either let go or they get their wrist broken.In a related technique you clamp both your hands over each of their hands to trap them.Then you pivot sharply from side to side and drop your elbows over their wrist joints and break both their wrists.

That sounds interesting. But somehow it isn't connecting in my mind. Can you describe it a little further please?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
For some, the grab itself is enough threat to address.

Again, not taking into account the shorter reach of a slighter victim.

Ditto above.

The reach of the victim has nothing to do with it .
It has everything to do with driving your entire bodyweight forward and attacking the weak point of his arms , his wrist joints.

He is only holding your wrists at one point in space , he has not immobilised your whole arm , you can still rotate your elbow up or down , or contract the angle of your arm.

Once you get your elbow over the top of his wrist you start folding it down which creates pressure on his wrist joint , he lets go , then you continue driving forward with your stance and ram the point of your elbow into his sternum.

It's a bit hard to describe unless you understand how the Wing Chun stance is used to transmit body mass through the arms , but from the attackers perspective he would feel as if the Wing Chun practitioners entire bodyweight is being driven forward and focused into wrist joint and ultimately to the centreline.

Basically the angle of the attackers arm is being collapsed into a weak position via pressure on his wrists from the Wing Chun persons stance , we do not oppose his force we simply rotate our arm around it .
Once the grip is released , you continue forward to ram his sternum with your elbow backed up by your entire bodyweight moving forward in your stance .

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, that sounds a little weak. In the Hapkido I studied we had a lot of wrist grab defenses. Either hand, both hands, front and back. In the orient, at least Korea and Vietnam, it is a little more common to grab people that way, and certainly it was not uncommon to try to immobilize one of both hands to keep them from weapons in days gone by.

As to letting go, we usually made slight feints to make them think we were going to move another way and make them tighten their grip and move to resist us. That made it easier to move the way we wanted, in fact, they were ususally helping us move the way we wanted, and hanging on more.

They may indeed let go sometimes, but usually the adrenaline is strong enough to cause them to try to hang on long enough to make the counter-attack. And the counter attack is supposed to be quick, not giving them time to let go anyway, as well as my grabs will not let them get too far from where I want them to be. That is often lost at demostration speeds.

That sounds interesting. But somehow it isn't connecting in my mind. Can you describe it a little further please?

Sorry I should have said one hand clamps over their hand and your other hand clamps over their other arms wrist.
This accomplishes three things , it traps their hands and stops them hitting you , it stops them from getting away and lastly it creates a firm base for you to apply pressure to their wrist joints.

Just to be clear I'm talking a a double arm grab here , from underneath with the attackers thumbs facing up
So one of your hands go to your other arm to clamp your hand over his hand, then your other free hand clamps over his other wrist.
Then it is just a matter of pivoting and bringing your elbow over and folding it down on his wrist joint like a chicken wing , if you want to be a real bastard you can pivot back the other direction and break his other wrist too.

This clip from my old school shows the technique at about 0:25.

[video=youtube_share;I3JyLaYHrxA]http://youtu.be/I3JyLaYHrxA[/video]

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Young grasshopper here seems to read only the OP, or just the title sometimes, and makes a comment on that, regardless of how long ago it was, or where the conversation has gone from there. This appears to me to be more of the same, honestly.
Don't they normally come in threes? :s61:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry I should have said one hand clamps over their hand and your other hand clamps over their other arms wrist.
This accomplishes three things , it traps their hands and stops them hitting you , it stops them from getting away and lastly it creates a firm base for you to apply pressure to their wrist joints.

Just to be clear I'm talking a a double arm grab here , from underneath with the attackers thumbs facing up
So one of your hands go to your other arm to clamp your hand over his hand, then your other free hand clamps over his other wrist.
Then it is just a matter of pivoting and bringing your elbow over and folding it down on his wrist joint like a chicken wing , if you want to be a real bastard you can pivot back the other direction and break his other wrist too.

This clip from my old school shows the technique at about 0:25.

[video=youtube_share;I3JyLaYHrxA]http://youtu.be/I3JyLaYHrxA[/video]

Thanks. That is interesting. I will have to try that.