Umm... We gotta talk about BOB SAPP.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
sort if like this

Dude no. Even Mayweather is ABOVE 10% bodyfat. You're getting the numbers wrong.

Bruce Lee was like EIGHT PERCENT.

No man. lol. Like I said, I have a friend who's 6'4, 215. Twig. Proportionally, we make him shorter... Six feet, he'd be 205 pounds. Twig. Imagine a true middleweight who's 40 pounds lighter than that.

TWIG. Wouldn't intimidate me.
that you have a friend is the most suprising, is that a twig compared with you, coz that not a good comparison

googe pictures of middlexweight and then come back

muscles equallys heavy,

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes....sorry if your ego can’t take it but it’s the truth I’ve seen it hundreds of times a smaller guy tuning up big guys who think they’re all that just because they lift weights

Well dude, if the big guy literally steps on the ring after doing nothing but lifting weights in some non-boxing gym just to prove a point, OF COURSE he's gonna get beaten.

I won't spar with anyone until my coach feels I'm ready. I'm talking MINIMAL boxing skills, not ABSENCE of boxing skills.

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
1pq71d.jpg

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
lol. I just checked. Middleweight boxers average at 6 feet. Do you have any idea how SKINNY those guys are gonna be to me?

I have a friend who's lanky. He's 6'4, 215 pounds and he's A TWIG. Incredibly weak. Imagine a 165-pound guy at 6 feet tall. He's gonna look malnourished.

Yeeeaaaaah.... I ain't scared of sticking to middleweight at 5'6. lol. I've been in a fight back in middle school with a much shorter but stockier enemy. He kicked my butt with ease. All he had to do was brave my weak jabs and get closer. That was all it took.
Do you really think professional boxers have weak jabs?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
athletic low body fat and good muscle tone,

your carryibg about 40 % body fat, thats scaribgly unhealthy im not suprised tou think healthy people are under weight
Did he post a picture somewhere/say that somewhere, or are you making an assumption based on his reported weight and size?

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do you really think professional boxers have weak jabs?

I mean... How bad can it really be? Come on dude. There should be an upper limit to how snappy your punches can be. And at 165 pounds, your hits would be weak even at excellent technique.

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Did he post a picture somewhere/say that somewhere, or are you making an assumption based on his reported weight and size?

Watch my YouTube video I posted in that other thread. I addressed everyone here in Martial Talk.

You're a moderator. Please don't ban me. I know it sounds pathetic but I love this place. At worst, please just give me a fair warning instead of an instant ban.

I'm worried because I called you all soyboys in that video. But yeah, it's in the upper body punch thread.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Watch my YouTube video I posted in that other thread. I addressed everyone here in Martial Talk.

You're a moderator. Please don't ban me. I know it sounds pathetic but I love this place. At worst, please just give me a fair warning instead of an instant ban.

I'm worried because I called you all soyboys in that video. But yeah, it's in the upper body punch thread.
I'll check it out in a bit.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I mean... How bad can it really be? Come on dude. There should be an upper limit to how snappy your punches can be. And at 165 pounds, your hits would be weak even at excellent technique.
So two things in response to this. First, this article is a horrible one to use since it doesn't include the actual studies it's referencing, but it gives an idea of the range of force for a boxers punch (they also don't specify, but I'm pretty sure they're referring to a cross rather than a jab). The main point of sharing it is that even flyweights can do damage with their punches. The true force of a boxer's punch

Second, there's a lot more to it than just the strength of your jab. You're not going to knock anyone out with it. I'm going to use I and you in the next part, but don't imagine me vs. you, imagine the stocky version of you that you pictured vs. a professional middleweight.

If we're in the same weight class and I'm like 40 pounds lighter than you, that means a combo of you're slower than me, and I've probably got a big reach advantage. So not only am I hitting you with my jab, you wouldn't be able to do what that short middle schooler did to you. Each time you try to get closer, I'm waiting until you get into my range, throwing 1-3 jabs, maybe a jab-cross depending on reach/speed difference, and getting out of your range/circling out. As the fight goes on, you'll get more tired since it takes more energy for you to continue trying to enter, making it easier for me to do. There is some risk that I'll mess up a couple of times with my timing and you'll get in, but as a professional boxer, I'd be able to handle that a few times as well, and escape again.

And this isn't me 'not being noble', it's part of technique and just how the sport works. It's the difference between an in-fighter and an out-boxer. And it's also how people like Floyd Mayweather do so well.

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So two things in response to this. First, this article is a horrible one to use since it doesn't include the actual studies it's referencing, but it gives an idea of the range of force for a boxers punch (they also don't specify, but I'm pretty sure they're referring to a cross rather than a jab). The main point of sharing it is that even flyweights can do damage with their punches. The true force of a boxer's punch

Second, there's a lot more to it than just the strength of your jab. You're not going to knock anyone out with it. I'm going to use I and you in the next part, but don't imagine me vs. you, imagine the stocky version of you that you pictured vs. a professional middleweight.

If we're in the same weight class and I'm like 40 pounds lighter than you, that means a combo of you're slower than me, and I've probably got a big reach advantage. So not only am I hitting you with my jab, you wouldn't be able to do what that short middle schooler did to you. Each time you try to get closer, I'm waiting until you get into my range, throwing 1-3 jabs, maybe a jab-cross depending on reach/speed difference, and getting out of your range/circling out. As the fight goes on, you'll get more tired since it takes more energy for you to continue trying to enter, making it easier for me to do. There is some risk that I'll mess up a couple of times with my timing and you'll get in, but as a professional boxer, I'd be able to handle that a few times as well, and escape again.

And this isn't me 'not being noble', it's part of technique and just how the sport works. It's the difference between an in-fighter and an out-boxer. And it's also how people like Floyd Mayweather do so well.

I did some boxing in first year high school. I dealt with a kid who had a 235 pound bench press. He's been boxing for a solid one year.

I braved his long-range punches, survived, got in, beat him. The thing is, I hit the back of his head which is against the rules. But the point remains, he had an adult-level strength yet I survived his hits. Imagine an old school middleweight who thinks that lifting weights is bad. He's gonna be weak as heck, and I'm not my thirteen-year old self. Imagine me after a solid year of lifting weights. The strength and power advantage I'd have is gonna be silly huge, even if me and him are in the same weight class.

But anyway, the article? I wanna read it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did some boxing in first year high school. I dealt with a kid who had a 235 pound bench press. He's been boxing for a solid one year.

I braved his long-range punches, survived, got in, beat him. The thing is, I hit the back of his head which is against the rules. But the point remains, he had an adult-level strength yet I survived his hits. Imagine an old school middleweight who thinks that lifting weights is bad. He's gonna be weak as heck, and I'm not my thirteen-year old self. Imagine me after a solid year of lifting weights. The strength and power advantage I'd have is gonna be silly huge, even if me and him are in the same weight class.

But anyway, the article? I wanna read it.
The article is linked there. And that guy if he was a guy with a 235 pound bench press probably wasn't an outboxer. Plus a 15 year old with one year experience, even if they are an outboxer, isn't going to be able to do what I described very well. Also, what makes you think an outboxer middleweight doesn't lift weights?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yes he posted a picture, gave his height and his weight, so yes to both,

and no, im not assuming im using science and a bit of basic algebra

if someone is 80lbs over weight and their idea weight is 160 lbs what % of body fat is that, im on the low side to ve honest

Last edited:
OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The article is linked there. And that guy if he was a guy with a 235 pound bench press probably wasn't an outboxer. Plus a 15 year old with one year experience, even if they are an outboxer, isn't going to be able to do what I described very well. Also, what makes you think an outboxer middleweight doesn't lift weights?

Because of Floyd Friggin' Mayweather, that's why. I'm sorry but can I be blunt here? Floyd represents everything I hate about a boxer. At least even though Ali wasn't known for knockout power, he brawled against Foreman fair and square and WON. Mayweather has a cowardly style. And the dude trains like a pure endurance athlete. Can anyone cite his lifting numbers? Or a video of him LIFTING WEIGHTS instead shadowboxing with light dumbbells like an idiot?

I saw Klitschko doing curls. It logically follows he probably also does other weight training movements. And then there are other heavyweights whom you just can't question if they lift weights or not because of their physique.

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My best squat right now is 305 pounds for 5 reps, same exact form I did on that video I showed. Second week lifting. Imagine that. Years of zero training and I'm already squatting that much in Week Two. I'm just giving everyone an idea of my natural leg strength.

I just felt like I should mention it because it feels like everyone here is sizing me up. lol. So there you go.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Because of Floyd Friggin' Mayweather, that's why. I'm sorry but can I be blunt here? Floyd represents everything I hate about a boxer. At least even though Ali wasn't known for knockout power, he brawled against Foreman fair and square and WON. Mayweather has a cowardly style. And the dude trains like a pure endurance athlete. Can anyone cite his lifting numbers? Or a video of him LIFTING WEIGHTS instead shadowboxing with light dumbbells like an idiot?

I saw Klitschko doing curls. It logically follows he probably also does other weight training movements. And then there are other heavyweights whom you just can't question if they lift weights or not because of their physique.
Why would you actively let someone hit you when there's no need to? That's not being noble, that's just being dumb. As for him lifting weights,

As for Mayweather, he's got some weird training and diet ideas in general. They seem to work for him somehow. But quick google search showed this, which states that he does use weights, and cites his benchpress http://boxingaddicts.com/floyd-mayweather-training-routine/#Weights_Work

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Why would you actively let someone hit you when there's no need to? That's not being noble, that's just being dumb. As for him lifting weights,

As for Mayweather, he's got some weird training and diet ideas in general. They seem to work for him somehow. But quick google search showed this, which states that he does use weights, and cites his benchpress http://boxingaddicts.com/floyd-mayweather-training-routine/#Weights_Work

Very good bench press for his weight. 180 pounds for five reps. He's way lighter than 180, right?

I gotta ask though, did you specifically google "Mayweather Bench Press"? I looked up something like "Mayweather lifting weights" or something close to that and found some dude claiming Mayweather could bench 365 pounds.

Still, I honestly am still unimpressed. A beyond bodyweight bench press for five solid reps is very good, but I'm betting you he only did it for the media. He wasn't doing it out of respect for whatever the bench press can give him for boxing performance. He was probably just goofing around when he did that. Him and his camp are old school. If that's how you wanna train and believe it's superior, that's fine. But that is no excuse for being a boring fighter. I'm gonna spend a few hours watching some YouTube videos of his matches and see if it's true that he really is a wimpy, elusive, anti-slugger. If my assumptions get confirmed, then my disdain for Mister Floyd May-feather-fist will remain. A 16 year-old angry Mike Tyson would destroy him.

However, I do like the fact that he hangs out with sexy strippers. I'd love that kind of lifestyle.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very good bench press for his weight. 180 pounds for five reps. He's way lighter than 180, right?

I gotta ask though, did you specifically google "Mayweather Bench Press"? I looked up something like "Mayweather lifting weights" or something close to that and found some dude claiming Mayweather could bench 365 pounds.

Still, I honestly am still unimpressed. A beyond bodyweight bench press for five solid reps is very good, but I'm betting you he only did it for the media. He wasn't doing it out of respect for whatever the bench press can give him for boxing performance. He was probably just goofing around when he did that. Him and his camp are old school. If that's how you wanna train and believe it's superior, that's fine. But that is no excuse for being a boring fighter. I'm gonna spend a few hours watching some YouTube videos of his matches and see if it's true that he really is a wimpy, elusive, anti-slugger. If my assumptions get confirmed, then my disdain for Mister Floyd May-feather-fist will remain. A 16 year-old angry Mike Tyson would destroy him.

However, I do like the fact that he hangs out with sexy strippers. I'd love that kind of lifestyle.
I don't know what I looked dup, but it was probably Mayweather bench press, or Mayweather weightlift numbers or something like that.

I saw that too. It was a video of a guy named floyd, that anyone who knows what Mayweather looks like would know isn't him, benching 365. And I've got no way of knowing if that's part of his regular routine or not..feel free to assume he doesn't do it often.

But it disproves the two things you wrote. That he thinks lifting weights is bad (he wouldn't do it for the media if he thought that, he gets enough bad press for the training he thinks is good), and that I can cite the numbers that he lifts.