UFC fighter Anderson Silva wants to be an Olympian

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wait a minute. What's your source for that? Was it a fan site or Wikipedia??? :D[

Mix of that and his personal statements and interviews...

Started at 12, left formal classes for MMA around 17,

But hey, technically hes a 5th dan:cool:

Regardless of his rank, when he says hes using TKD, Its definitely tkds method and not karate or MT, im gonna call it what it is

This is part of why i love the guy so much, its a VERY difficult thing to do, blending such majorly different styles/techs without sacrificing any form or tech of the root style. Its just natural find this inbetween with techs, and he makes a point to not do that.

To me, THATS mma in its purest form and just beyond awesome to see

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Mix of that and his personal statements and interviews...

Started at 12, left formal classes for MMA around 17,

But hey, technically hes a 5th dan:cool:

Regardless of his rank, when he says hes using TKD, Its definitely tkds method and not karate or MT, im gonna call it what it is

This is part of why i love the guy so much, its a VERY difficult thing to do, blending such majorly different styles/techs without sacrificing any form or tech of the root style. Its just natural find this inbetween with techs, and he makes a point to not do that.

To me, THATS mma in its purest form and just beyond awesome to see
Lol. Be careful. Who was it in the joe rogan thread bashing on hearsay? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lol. Be careful. Who was it in the joe rogan thread bashing on hearsay? :)

Hey Silvas just saying hes a BB ( which technically he is), and has the proper tkd technique to prove hes at least a 1st dan.

Joe claimed national champ, if joe had just claimed BB, or shown more putting him at such a high level id be a little more okay with the heresay. But NGB records, and anecdotes, and incorrect descriptions on joes part are sketchier than Silva saying He had a 1st or 2nd dan and showing technique to corroborate.

They arent exactly the same thing.

I mean we can find AAU/USTU winners and records for much of the NGB events of the 80s to try corroborate the details with Joe.

With Silva we can see blatant TKD techniques, worthy of a BB, its mot the same as asking for his BB number.

Buuut technically you have a point.

Silva coulda been a yellow belt whos just spent the last 35 years refining and perfecting.But honestly, his rank in TKD is only important for his eligibility in the Olympics.

When he uses TKD, its obvious hes using TKD and has at least kept up with it. You cant really take that from him or contest it when you can physically see a tech isnt done in the MT or Karate style

I mean, Pettis using Capoeira techs every now and then and hes only a yellow cord i believe, and trains MT.

But we dont call his Capoeira kicks MT because MT has a version of that kick.

Like I said, if i see obvious TKD technique/execution, and the guy says he trains TKD, id be more inclined to believe hes had TKD training

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I like how you hid agreeing that I have a point in the middle there. :)

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I like how you hid agreeing that I have a point in the middle there. :)

Silvas is far lesser and more verifiable heresay, buuuut by definition heresay all the same;)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
For further explanation (cause i feel demon will need it) competition standard and skill of fighters have both been increasing for a long time now, so a video from 10 years ago is hardly representative

Actually, it would be far more accurate to say that NO single video is representative.

No evidence of that. If there is: show it.

Your posting history provides all the evidence anybody is likely to need.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Old video, not current champ at any weight class. Also anyone can get KO'd by a high level champ of similar sports. Not much difference between the two sports (ITF vs. WTF) at the highest level. The movement is the same, the kicks are the same, only diff is punch to the head or not. Very poor analogy. Also anyone that matches up with Silva would not foot fence him as he has so many holes that a KO would be easy to see after a few seconds. He is just not that good at this game.

He would do badly in a foot fencing contest, but who says that's the only options? There is no brutality in modern WTF. Just do as ITF champion Paul Doumbia did with the current WTF champion, and kick him in the head

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Old video, not current champ at any weight class. Also anyone can get KO'd by a high level champ of similar sports. Not much difference between the two sports (ITF vs. WTF) at the highest level. The movement is the same, the kicks are the same, only diff is punch to the head or not. Very poor analogy. Also anyone that matches up with Silva would not foot fence him as he has so many holes that a KO would be easy to see after a few seconds. He is just not that good at this game.

One is semi contact American Kickboxing, the other is foot fencing. Yeah, no difference at all.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
One is semi contact American Kickboxing, the other is foot fencing. Yeah, no difference at all.

They fight the same way when the kicks and punch Start flying.....

I suppose Silva isn't doing MMA when he keeps his hands down either..

Latest Discussions