UFC fighter Anderson Silva wants to be an Olympian

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That may be. But Andersons statement that it's every athletes dream to be an olympian (in TKD) seems rather odd given that he only took an interest in it at age 40.

How would you know what his interests were prior to this?

Did your Legendary Daddy tell you?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
How would you know what his interests were prior to this?

Talk about a soft ball.... By the age of thirteen his family was able to set aside enough money to start him in Tae Kwon Do lessons, from which he moved on to Capoeira, before finally settling on Muay Thai at the age of sixteen.[21]

Anderson Silva - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Whatever his interest were, they sure were not Taekwondo, since he left formal training within 3 years, at age 16 (later being handed a 5th dan black belt in a shameless promotion effort). Silvas stand up in MMA is Muay Thai, not TKD.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Talk about a soft ball.... By the age of thirteen his family was able to set aside enough money to start him in Tae Kwon Do lessons, from which he moved on to Capoeira, before finally settling on Muay Thai at the age of sixteen.[21]

Whatever his interest were, they sure were not Taekwondo, since he left formal training within 3 years, at age 16 (later being handed a 5th dan black belt in a shameless promotion effort). Silvas stand up in MMA is Muay Thai, not TKD.

1. You can find clips of him practicing TKD in his Gym long before the Brazil olympic fiasco so he clearly didnt just forget about it....

2. Wikis arent a credible source. Machidas been previously listed as TKD, Chan Sung jungs style/training section has been changed several times going back between Hapkido/TKD tk just kickbkxing.

3. If you cant see a Blatant TKD base in Silvas striking, movement, and way he throws many kicks im gonna question if youve actually seen him fight.

He uses some MT too, but theyre drastocally different and easily distinguishable.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess you missed the footnote from his fight magazine biography... Silva settled on Muay Thai and did not even reach black belt level in TKD, unless his school was a Mcdojo and had black belts which could be bought.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess you missed the fotnote from his fight magazine biography... Silva settled on Muay Thai and did not even reach black belt level in TKD, unless his school was a Mcdojo and had black belts which could be bought.

I guess you missed the title where it says "fan site".........

That doesnt make it anymore official than a wiki, basically the samething without being done on wikipedia..

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We should keep in mind that we're talking about a guy who keeps his hands down while fighting - and clowns around with opponents he feels superior to.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ahhhhh.... The joys of dealing with people who think fan sites qualify as knowledge.

Even if we accept what's claimed there as true (which I see no reason to do...) all it would show is what he DID. Not what his interests were.

If you knew me 30 years ago, you wouldn't have known that I had a fascination with the sea, or that I would, in my 50's, become trained to a level that has allowed me to dive in places Mr Cousteau could only dream about.
And you certainly don't know any more about my other interests than you do Mr Silvas.

So tell us again how you know what his interests were ten or fifteen years ago.
Feel free to consult your mythological daddy. Or a psychic.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Silva would get killed. Would bring a big light to sport TKD but he would get KO'd. Simple as that. He is to slow and does not have the skills for this sport. I am sure he know this. He could not beat any of the serious Juniors (15-17 years old) that do this sport. It's just not that simple to do.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He can try and pretend otherwise to flatter them,

The reasons he wants to represent his country in TKD have I imagine little to do with wanting to flatter anyone. Many people would love to represent their country at something regardless of what it was, it's more about patriotism than flattery ( I can't see him gaining anything from trying to flatter anyone, most people would be trying to flatter him). It's about being able to tell your children and your grandchildren you represented your country and having them feel proud. That it's a forlorn hope for most of us perhaps including him is neither here nor there.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Only some sports are still amateur, the ones nobody really wants to watch such as synchronised swimming, table tennis and female beach volley ball. :D
Female beach volley ballers are pros.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Silva would get killed. Would bring a big light to sport TKD but he would get KO'd. Simple as that. He is to slow and does not have the skills for this sport. I am sure he know this. He could not beat any of the serious Juniors (15-17 years old) that do this sport. It's just not that simple to do.

He would do badly in a foot fencing contest, but who says that's the only options? There is no brutality in modern WTF. Just do as ITF champion Paul Doumbia did with the current WTF champion, and kick him in the head

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
He would do badly in a foot fencing contest, but who says that's the only options? There is no brutality in modern WTF. Just do as ITF champion Paul Doumbia did with the current WTF champion, and kick him in the head

But you believe ITF is brutatl after previously saying its no contact?

you do realize similar knockout are pretty common among nearly every kicking style association right?

You dont have to back of the jaw that hard to send a guy down.....

Not to mention thats an insanely common ko in Kukki-tkd, so your premise that its some outaide tech that won it is wrong....

Nor have I ever seen silva throw a roundhouse as fast as that.

Silvas lack of speed on one of the big things the poster was talking about in Silvas lack of ability to perform.

Foot fencing? We can ignore that, simply for the fact that it could be a tennis compeition its a completely different medium than Silva competes in.

Oh, and if you would actually look into things, you can find Silva working with other past Olympians and Kukki guys, hes simply not there...

Instead of repeatedly trying to create drama and animosity, just think and look into things before posting and stop making every answer your own opinion

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
But you believe ITF is brutatl after previously saying its no contact?

No. but WTF of today is point fighting, even in semi and finals. I have seen the very best in action in world and european championships, quarters to finals. With todays point detectors it's about equal with ITF, except for a very scarce procentage of knockouts (at least at the high levels). Anderson Silva is from UFC. Pretty brutal...

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Well, he said he wants to be an Olympian, so that's WTF competition only, I'm afraid, regardless of how you might feel about it.

That video doesn't look very current to me. We haven't been using that equipment for about ten years.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
No. but WTF of today is point fighting, even in semi and finals. I have seen the very best in action in world and european championships, quarters to finals. With todays point detectors it's about equal with ITF, except for a very scarce procentage of knockouts (at least at the high levels). Anderson Silva is from UFC. Pretty brutal...

Not at kukki tkd......you really should do your research...

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, he said he wants to be an Olympian, so that's WTF competition only, I'm afraid, regardless of how you might feel about it.

That video doesn't look very current to me. We haven't been using that equipment for about ten years.

I don't understand you. Knockouts are allowed. How does it matter if it's WTF or not? I also don't see hoe todays equipment changes is relevant and would have changed the outcome of the fight I posted.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not at kukki tkd......you really should do your research...

??? Anderson is attempting to compete under WTF rules. That some KKW schools approach their sparring differently is beside the point. It's not relevant for Andersson Silva. If you think that roundhouse kick was fast, you haven't seen much.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't understand you. Knockouts are allowed. How does it matter if it's WTF or not? I also don't see hoe todays equipment changes is relevant and would have changed the outcome of the fight I posted.

Because Olympic TKD is WTF, not ITF.

You implied that the video was the current WTF champion. Doesn't look very current...

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Because Olympic TKD is WTF, not ITF.

You implied that the video was the current WTF champion. Doesn't look very current...

The korean was the current WTF World champion when Paul Doumbia (ITF world champion) knocked him out in 5 seconds. How is their equipment of today relevant compared to then?