UFC 65 Results

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Silvia retains hvywt belt. It was a great fight, Monson had a hard time overtaking an 8 in reach advantage. However, I thought it was a great 5 rounds.

St. Pierre wins belt, beat hughes in the 2nd. Hughes got tagged in the groin 2x in round 1. He ate a round kick to the temple in round 2. I have always said that a good kicker is hard to beat. The thing is that Matt tried to stand up against George and didn't try to shoot on him, that is his forte. Matt is a wrestler.

All the other fights were outstanding, having it hosted by Marine Corps Air Station Miramar was just a nice touch.

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would agree, don't know why Hughes was trying to go toe to toe with Pierre. Pierre did stuff a couple of takedowns. But Hughes' takedowns attempts didn't look that great to begin with? Good job Pierre and maybe we will see a rematch very soon.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score

St. Pierre vs Hughes

Last edited by a moderator:

FuriousGeorge

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that...Its such a good fight!
Wow! I was totally impressed with GSP, and glad to see Hughes get taken down a notch, he's one of the cockiest fighters in the UFC, though its not completely undeserved, I guess.

As for the Silvia Monson fight, I was pretty disappointed. I was pretty impressed that Silvia was able to do as well on the ground as he did, but if he had much jits he probably could have sunk that triangle attempt and known what subs to go for when he passed Monson's guard. But even his standup was pretty poor. He kept Monson at a distance with his jab for most of the standup, he knew that if he actually tried to hit him that monson would take him down, so he pretty much just avoided engaging with him too much. Monson on the other hand was agressive, but had a hell of a time getting inside Silvia's reach, and wasn't able to do too much from the ground. I guess I expected more from Monson, especially on the ground, but Silvia did bring more ground game than I expected as well. Overall, I guess I just feel like Silvia's last two fights have been draws rather than wins, and mostly because he avoids engaging with his opponents as much as possible. I'm kind of annoyed that he still has the title to be honest.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
wow!
Hughes was talking about looking to retire....looks like GSP put him "into" retirement.

mdamignani

White Belt
Reaction score
I was very impressed by GSP, I thought the first low blow was to the leg not the groin, but the second one was on the money. As for Silvia, I don't think he has any skill, just reach. He is afraid to actually fight anyone and only knows how to jab. In my opinion because of his size, if a much smaller fighter is able to go the distance with him he should lose.
Matthew Damignani

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really enjoyed this one, both main events and undercard fights.

Kudos to GSP: he did a great job. I really didn't think it would go down that way :)

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think Slyvia is a terriable champion and makes a scary statement about the lack of talent in the UFC heavyweight division, Dana needs to employ some new fighters asap because I serioulsy cannot put myself through watching Tim fight again.

Sorry Tim nothing against you but your just poo.

thewhitemikevick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Haha I went to a UFC party on that Saturday counting down UFC 65 and I was literally like the only person at the party that thought St. Pierre was going to win lol. GSP is my favorite fighter, and I'm veyr glad he could come away with the belt. Hughes didn't seem like himself. His tactics for fighting were...odd, to say the least. I don't know I couldn't understand what his aim was in some of the things that he did. He didn't seem like the old Hughes. But at the same time, Pierre looked like he himself had escalated his skill and fighting ability to a new level. So obviously in mixing those two factors...not exactly the best situation for Hughes in a title fight lol. It would be great to see a rematch. I don't think Hughes is in need of retirement. In my mind, not even close. He's still a great fighter. He works hard, and he's still in great physical shape. Had Hughes beaten St. Pierre, I don't think the idea of retirement would be a notion actually even in consideration. Nothing against Hughes, but St. Pierre just fought a great fight. And a rematch would be mindblowing, to say the least. So I expect the best.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think Slyvia is a terriable champion and makes a scary statement about the lack of talent in the UFC heavyweight division, Dana needs to employ some new fighters asap because I serioulsy cannot put myself through watching Tim fight again.

Sorry Tim nothing against you but your just poo.

I am with you there. Slyvia fights are incredibly boring.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Haha I went to a UFC party on that Saturday counting down UFC 65 and I was literally like the only person at the party that thought St. Pierre was going to win lol. GSP is my favorite fighter, and I'm veyr glad he could come away with the belt. Hughes didn't seem like himself. His tactics for fighting were...odd, to say the least. I don't know I couldn't understand what his aim was in some of the things that he did. He didn't seem like the old Hughes. But at the same time, Pierre looked like he himself had escalated his skill and fighting ability to a new level. So obviously in mixing those two factors...not exactly the best situation for Hughes in a title fight lol. It would be great to see a rematch. I don't think Hughes is in need of retirement. In my mind, not even close. He's still a great fighter. He works hard, and he's still in great physical shape. Had Hughes beaten St. Pierre, I don't think the idea of retirement would be a notion actually even in consideration. Nothing against Hughes, but St. Pierre just fought a great fight. And a rematch would be mindblowing, to say the least. So I expect the best.

To be honest I was surprised with the way Hughes fought. He did not seem at all like himself. There will definately be a rematch so maybe the next fight will be the telling one.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
To be honest I was surprised with the way Hughes fought. He did not seem at all like himself. There will definately be a rematch so maybe the next fight will be the telling one.

I'll agree with you on that.. it seemed he did not even attempt a take down until about 3 minutes in, and it seemed a total of two legitimate attempts. I'd like to see a rematch too!

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll agree with you on that.. it seemed he did not even attempt a take down until about 3 minutes in, and it seemed a total of two legitimate attempts. I'd like to see a rematch too!

I agree with you guys. It looked to me like Hughes was trying to play the standup game with GSP, and was doing a poor job of it.

As stated in previous threads, I think Hughes has some good punching skills, but he certainly didn't prove me right in THAT match.

I will agree that GSP definately looks like he is the better striker.

To me, it looked like Hughes was finally going for another shoot attempt when he got kicked in the noggin. Could have been he was still dazed from nearly getting knocked out in the first round and taking a kick to the groin might have slowed him up some, too.

(One of those "theories" that I've had but never tested was that a GOOD striker could whack a grappler with a good one on their way in; nice to see that it is indeed a possibility).

I can't wait for a rematch. Chances are Hughes will take GSP a lot more seriously next time.

Also kudos to GSP for being a good sport about his win, not gloating.

Same for Joe Stevenson: that kid has really earned my respect.

Overall, a great night for sportsmanship in the UFC, IMO.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To me, it looked like Hughes was finally going for another shoot attempt when he got kicked in the noggin. Could have been he was still dazed from nearly getting knocked out in the first round and taking a kick to the groin might have slowed him up some, too.

Matt totally ate the fake. It looked like St. Pierre was going to throw another of those inside kicks that dropped the former champ twice in the 1st round. You know Matt was looking for just such a kick, but St. Pierre changed it up and tagged him good.

Despite the two groin kicks, was a great match for sportmanship. The two fighters looked like they showed each other a lot of respect and joy in the ring. I liked the high five in the beginning.

I've seen people say this was a work, but no way does Hughes take that kind of beating for a work.

I think Hughes just got cocky. Saw his post game interview where he says the same thing, he'd been throwing out his game plan and just counting on victory. Well, let this be his wake-up call.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with the good night for sportsmanship. I hope the Lidell fight has as much fortune. Dec. 30 is really just right around the corner.

Happy Thanksgiving holiday to all of you.

Matt

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I also thought that Hughes was coming in for a takedown when he ate that roundhouse kick. To me it just seemed like either Hughes was not feeling that confident or that he came up with a pretty poor game plan.
Standing up and striking with GSP would be the last thing I would advise Hughes to do.

Latest Discussions