Bj penn UFC 232 (spoilers obviously)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It’s impossible to quote nearly every post you’ve ever made.

You mean I’m the only one who thinks you’re a BJJ fanboy?

I’m wrong about a lot of $hit. Just ask my wife. But this one’s way too easy, even for a guy like me.
A lot of people think immigrants from Guatemala are literally attempting to invade the USA. Doesn’t make it true. This place has always trended to mob mentality. I think it’s human nature.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A lot of people think immigrants from Guatemala are literally attempting to invade the USA. Doesn’t make it true. This place has always trended to mob mentality. I think it’s human nature.
Guatemala? That’s just ridiculous. Anyone with any common sense knows the Mexicans are literally trying to invade. :)

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No it's not. Hall getting a takedown then utilizing his jujitsu is engaging, getting taken down then utilizing his jujitsu is engaging. Flopping to the ground and running out the clock after scoring a few points isn't engaging.

He's only running out the clock because Maynard refuses to engage him while he's on his back. According to @Headhunter laying on your back during a MMA fight is a terrible strategy, so Maynard (a D1 NCAA wrestler) should have been easily capable of capitalizing on it.

Not even close. Maynard was moving in and pressing forward, Hall decided to flop and wait for the round to be over. Maynard was kicking Hall on the ground, hardly the act of a "scared kitten".

So your argument is that Maynard (an accomplished wrestler) can do while Ryan Hall is lying on his back?

We differ on that approach

Overall, MMA/UFC has changed many of the rules and some of the Refs are more lenient with non-engagement than others. They need to re-evaluate the rules/octagon culture when the rules are exploited and entire strategies are developed that give way for lackluster performances.

Well the problem is that Hall also delivered far more strikes than Maynard did as well, so the latter failed in both departments. He was far too timid, and if you watch the full fight, the commentators say consistently that Maynard needs to stop holding back and just go for it. The problem is that Hall was completely in Maynard's head to the point that Maynard was afraid to go to the ground and afraid to push too much with his striking because he feared getting taken down.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
He's only running out the clock because Maynard refuses to engage him while he's on his back.
Incorrect, he landed enough strikes for points then flopped when Maynard pushed forward or checked/grabbed his kicks. The kicking strategy was starting to fail, thus he flopped for that was the only other tactic he could utilize.

So your argument is that Maynard (an accomplished wrestler) can do while Ryan Hall is lying on his back?
Please elaborate

Well the problem is that Hall also delivered far more strikes than Maynard did as well, so the latter failed in both departments.
It's easy to land kicks then runaway or flop after your opponent starts to check them.

He was far too timid, and if you watch the full fight, the commentators say consistently that Maynard needs to stop holding back and just go for it.
I'm not overly concerned with what the commentators said, a picture(in this case a video) is worth a thousand words.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Incorrect, he landed enough strikes for points then flopped when Maynard pushed forward or checked/grabbed his kicks. The kicking strategy was starting to fail, thus he flopped for that was the only other tactic he could utilize.

How did the kicking strategy fail if Hall won the match?

Please elaborate

Sorry, typo on my part; Are you saying that there was nothing Maynard could do when Hall flopped on his back except run away?

It's easy to land kicks then runaway or flop after your opponent starts to check them.

You think it's easy to intimidate a professional fighter to the point where he won't fight you while you're on your back? Keep in mind, this professional fighter has a D1 NCAA wrestling background.

I'm not overly concerned with what the commentators said, a picture(in this case a video) is worth a thousand words.

Check out Maynard's face vs Hall's face after the fight.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello again, it's been a busy week
How did the kicking strategy fail if Hall won the match?
Hall has sloppy and lazy kicks, thus Maynard was able to avoid and grab some of them. Hall knows that he can always flop if his kicks fail, that's what causes him to not develop other aspects of his game.

Are you saying that there was nothing Maynard could do when Hall flopped on his back except run away?
Hall was the one fleeing from engagement, hence he flopped when Maynard pressed in.

You think it's easy to intimidate a professional fighter to the point where he won't fight you while you're on your back? Keep in mind, this professional fighter has a D1 NCAA wrestling background.
If anyone was intimidated it was Hall, not Maynard. Hall literally turned his back and sprinted away from Maynard.

Check out Maynard's face vs Hall's face after the fight.
If the Ref called Hall on his flopping the outcome would have been different. Given that he didn't, Hall hid in his safe space until he got enough points for the round.

Latest Discussions