U.S. pledges $1.15 Billion to rebuild Haiti...

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36114594/ns/world_news-haiti_earthquake/?GT1=43001

The Obama administration is to pledge $1.15 billion over the next two years to help with Haiti's post-earthquake reconstruction, according to a senior U.S. official.

Barack Obama has asked Congress for a total of $2.8 billion in funds for Haiti relief and reconstruction costs.

This irritates me. This is the kind of crap that should be approved of by the American people first and foremost. I understand and agree with the initial surge for us Americans to send rescue, aid, and take care of immediate problems like we did.. I am all for that, but to pledge $1.15 Billion dollars when we have so many problems at home right now is horrible. I do not know the legalities of this, but it seems to me that other then immediate humanitarian aid to protect lives, long term projects like this should be paid for by the government of the country involved, and any help should be given with consent from the people.... This just seems wrong to me

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wonder what it would cost to rebuild New Orleans......

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's less than half the cost of one B-2 bomber from the initial run of 20. I don't remember getting to vote on that one.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't worry about it. If they need more money, they'll just raise taxes. It's like a magic bag of money, it never runs out!

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think some help is warranted. I don't know about 2.8 billion.

I also understand there's a real issue of OUR money simply vanishing in thin air thanks to the endemic corruption in Haitian governmental institutions. That would hack me off to no end, knowing that my tax dollars are lining the pockets of some Haitian politician.

OP
LuckyKBoxer

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's less than half the cost of one B-2 bomber from the initial run of 20. I don't remember getting to vote on that one.

I am not to happy with the cost overruns and waste in military spending but at least thats not money that is going away from the American Public... This moeny is being stolen from American Tax Payers and given directly to another country all together...

I might not have as much of a problem with it if all the work that the money was to be spent on was guaranteed to be given to American Contractors who hire American Workers.... other then that its a rip off.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
This moeny is being stolen from American Tax Payers and given directly to another country all together...

"Stolen"...interesting choice of words. What about the members of the public who approve of the expenditure, are they being stolen from? Is every financial decision made by our duly elected representatives theft? Or is it only theft when you disagree with it? You have a vote, if you don't like it, vote for those who promise to do otherwise. But don't pretend that a legitimate government expenditure is somehow immoral or theft, especially when it is being used to save lives.

OP
LuckyKBoxer

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"Stolen"...interesting choice of words. What about the members of the public who approve of the expenditure, are they being stolen from? Is every financial decision made by our duly elected representatives theft? Or is it only theft when you disagree with it? You have a vote, if you don't like it, vote for those who promise to do otherwise. But don't pretend that a legitimate government expenditure is somehow immoral or theft, especially when it is being used to save lives.

It is not being used to save lives, the initial response was what saved lives. this money is basicly a redistribution of wealth, taking from Americans and giving to Haitians. Like I said I would not feel so bad about it if the caveat was that all the money had to be accounted for before it was given to them, all the work had to be done by American Contractors, and using American workers to complete. I can only imagine how it will go now given the history of that craphole.. Over a billion goes in, maye a 1/4 of that is actually spent on rebuilding, and a few years later some wealthy Haitians end up in the Europe on permanent vacation.

If you want to pull the wool over your eyes and actually believe that then there is nothing I can do to convince you until you decide to actually look at the truth...
I am against all forms of corruption regardless of where it comes from.
I do not side with anyone who breaks the law, or uses their office for their own gain. I just see absolutely nothing of value coming from this. It is not our responsibility to rebuild Haitian homes and businesses when our own country has so many problems... Saving lives? yes like I originally said, this is not saving lives. and yes this money is being stolen from every American, even those that might agree with the idea of rebuilding Haiti. Thats what we have been having these enormous charity drives for, and that is a great thing, and should continue. Our government should not be in the business of giving away our money.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Read somewhere that most of the grain bought by the USA for Africa money was either stolen or rotted in warehouses......seems appropriate here....

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I call it illegitimate because there is no where in the U.S. Constitution that says they can spend tax money like this.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hell... let BP pay for it....

Where are they going to get it... oh yeah... borrow it from the Fed Reserve AT INTEREST and then work on paying back the interest until we have to borrow (AT INTEREST) to pay off the interest loan...

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is not being used to save lives, the initial response was what saved lives. this money is basicly a redistribution of wealth, taking from Americans and giving to Haitians. Like I said I would not feel so bad about it if the caveat was that all the money had to be accounted for before it was given to them, all the work had to be done by American Contractors, and using American workers to complete. I can only imagine how it will go now given the history of that craphole.. Over a billion goes in, maye a 1/4 of that is actually spent on rebuilding, and a few years later some wealthy Haitians end up in the Europe on permanent vacation.

Happier Haitians make better baseballs, and besides the Stars and Stripes itself, what is more American than baseball?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36114594/ns/world_news-haiti_earthquake/?GT1=43001

This irritates me. This is the kind of crap that should be approved of by the American people first and foremost. I understand and agree with the initial surge for us Americans to send rescue, aid, and take care of immediate problems like we did.. I am all for that, but to pledge $1.15 Billion dollars when we have so many problems at home right now is horrible. I do not know the legalities of this, but it seems to me that other then immediate humanitarian aid to protect lives, long term projects like this should be paid for by the government of the country involved, and any help should be given with consent from the people.... This just seems wrong to me

Can't say I disagree. I know that this country has pretty much nothing, but IMO, we need to take care of OUR issues first, and then worry about others. I'm sure some will disagree and thats fine. That is how I feel, and unless I saw something that drastically changed my mind, thats what I'm sticking with.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I call it illegitimate because there is no where in the U.S. Constitution that says they can spend tax money like this.

The President is specifically authorized to make treaties which must be ratified, and Congress is specifically authorized to make law regarding "commerce" between the nations. Sounds like they have the power to me, and it's pretty notable that I have never heard an argument that foreign aid is unconstitutional. Is building the White House with government money unconstitutional because it was never specifically mentioned? We approach the realm of absurdity.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Sure it does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxing_and_Spending_Clause

Power of the purse, generally

Article I, Section 9, Clause 7 imposes accountability on Congressional spending:
“ No money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law; and a regular Statement and Account of the Receipts and Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time. ” The first half of this clause indicates that Congress must have appropriated by law the funds to be spent before the funds can be released from the Treasury. It serves as a powerful check of the legislature on the executive branch, as it further secures Congress's power of the purse. This provision, when also combined with the bicameral nature of Congress and the quorum requirements of both the Senate and the House of Representatives, serves as a constitutional check and balance on the legislature itself, prohibiting any spending that does not have broad support.

Which brings us to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_Assistance_Act

Which means that yes, the Congress has the Constitutional authority to spend money in this way.

As noted, if one disagrees with how this money is spent, one has recourse to the ballet box. But it is both legal and Constitutional.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In truth I am sick and tired of seeing the tax payers money go to any forgin country. We give billions upon billions around the world each year to help out outher countries but I have to wonder how much of that actualy gets to the people in those countries and not the leaders pocket or big industry.
We are in so much need in this country it should be a crime to not give equal amounts to help our country as we give out to others.
Our schools have less and less in the way of music, sports, science equipment, etc. Our citizens have no work and what they do find many times will not cover the bills. ( I wonder how many unemployed are not listed in the ranks of unemployed because their benifits have run and and they are no longer counted.)
More buisnesses close every day because they can not compete with what is being brought in from other countries. Yet big businesses send products over seas for a larger profit.
For those with lower income the price of insurence gets much higher each year and they get less coverage.
Our cities are over run with gangs, and crime is always on the upswing.

If we spent an equal amount to help rebuild this country from building better roads to makeing sure citizens ( not illigals) have full coverage insurence we might start to make this look like a country that cares for its people not it's CEO's.

Now do not get me wrong I have no problem helping people in other countries rebuild after a disaster but I do think we need to take care of the people in this country first.

Please forgive spelling mistakes my comp is in the shop and this one has no spell check. and I spell for crap

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ok, so we spend billions to help them rebuild...
Question is... will they help us should we need them in times of war? Will they send their young men/women to fight/die for us ... I mean geez... seems only fair right?

Seems to me that for a while ( a long while) we've been the billionaire that walks down the street passing out wads of cash to everyone he meets irregardless. Question is... will those who gotten the cash from the man help him should he cry out loudly for help while getting mugged?

Latest Discussions