More Stupidity: Student Suspended for supporting Breast Cancer Research

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Student Suspended After ‘Boobies’ Bracelet Controversy

HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla.—Frankie Rodriguez bought the bracelet at a mall store about a month ago. He said it shows his support for breast cancer research. The Tomlin Middle School student said he has an aunt with cancer and several family friends with breast cancer.
The bracelet says: “I (heart) Boobies. Keep A Breast.“
But a teacher and an administrator at the Plant City school saw it differently, saying the inscription is disruptive and sexually harassing.

Full Story

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Attention HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Florida educators and administrators.

1. Context people, context. If the lad goes up to females saying, "I heart boobies, I heart boobies," yes, by all means take action.
  2. If someone complains about the bracelet the boy wears to honour a family member, recite #1 to him or her.
  3. If you need to confiscate something, how about a gun or a knife.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of my models regularly participates in awareness actions.

The schools in the wrong.

Attachments

• $IMG_5731.jpg
    $IMG_5731.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 119

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting. I'm reminded of the thread about the need for formality and respect in the dojo. While I can understand that the breast cancer awareness people were going for a light-hearted campaign with the boobies slogan, perhaps the better choice would have been to maintain a little dignity so that the more important message of fighting breast cancer doesn't get lost in quibbles over propriety.

Whether the school is right or wrong isn't important. What's important is that the slogan overshadowed the message. That's not an effective campaign.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Student Suspended After ‘Boobies’ Bracelet Controversy

HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla.—Frankie Rodriguez bought the bracelet at a mall store about a month ago. He said it shows his support for breast cancer research. The Tomlin Middle School student said he has an aunt with cancer and several family friends with breast cancer.
The bracelet says: “I (heart) Boobies. Keep A Breast.“
But a teacher and an administrator at the Plant City school saw it differently, saying the inscription is disruptive and sexually harassing.

Full Story
Sorry, but the teacher's are right. Cute and health concious as booby braclets are, they are still boobies and that's that.
Sean

Last edited:

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting. I'm reminded of the thread about the need for formality and respect in the dojo. While I can understand that the breast cancer awareness people were going for a light-hearted campaign with the boobies slogan, perhaps the better choice would have been to maintain a little dignity so that the more important message of fighting breast cancer doesn't get lost in quibbles over propriety.

Whether the school is right or wrong isn't important. What's important is that the slogan overshadowed the message. That's not an effective campaign.

Exactly! Another school recently had a similar controversy.

One of the women I practice with is a three time cancer survivor. There is nothing cute about cancer. There is no need to engage in such controversy or silliness to help the victims.

Latest Discussions