Types of energy used

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've just realised something about myself in training and how I get more tired.

I train kenpo and Muay Thai right now and I get more tired in kenpo even though it's not as physically tough. In kenpo you do your stuff then you get explanations and quite a few pointers and improvements which is fine and in Muay Thai you're moving about 90% of the time whereas in kenpo it's more 75%.

But I find when doing kenpo my legs feel like lead at times but in Muay Thai I can just keep going hard. Maybe it's because when you just stand and listen your muscles relax more. Anyone else notice this?

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I'd stop and start during the training, I'd get a bit of that, yes.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've just realised something about myself in training and how I get more tired.

I train kenpo and Muay Thai right now and I get more tired in kenpo even though it's not as physically tough. In kenpo you do your stuff then you get explanations and quite a few pointers and improvements which is fine and in Muay Thai you're moving about 90% of the time whereas in kenpo it's more 75%.

But I find when doing kenpo my legs feel like lead at times but in Muay Thai I can just keep going hard. Maybe it's because when you just stand and listen your muscles relax more. Anyone else notice this?

Could it be you are more comfortable with Muay Thai and stay looser which helps conserve energy?

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could it be you are more comfortable with Muay Thai and stay looser which helps conserve energy?
Good point. Repeatedly performing familiar movements are oftentimes not as tasking as doing the new thing, even sporadically. Doing the new thing, it's possible to literally be fighting yourself until the coordination is worked out.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I find slow deliberate movement more tiring that fast movement. There is also the possibility that the Muay Thai is giving you adrenaline to burn?

Latest Discussions