Two stance exercises

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
We used to do these in our school you might find them of use to you .
Some people have a good stance when they are standing still , but can't keep it while they are moving.
This first exercise can help with this problem , its pretty simple get into your stance and have your partner place his hand on your lower abdomen .

He gives you a little bit of resistance as you attempt to walk forwards , sink your weight down and mentally beam your force forwards . If its too hard , get him to back off on the resistance , if its to easy get him to put on more resistance .

When you get better you can overcome more resistance and even walk forwards when his hand is upon your chest and later almost up to your neck .
This next one tests the overall integrity of your stance , you will need one of those big kick shields. Your partner holds the kick shield on the side of his body , one hand holds the bottom of the shield firmly and the other hand holds the top , don't grab it by the straps on the back , they are useless and cause the pad to flop around .

Next thing you do is get into your stance , your partner goes away to a distance of approx five metres and then he charges at you as hard as he can whilst holding the pad .
As he comes into range you throw out a thrusting medium heel kick , if you get the timing right and your stance is good , for him it will feel like he just impaled himself on a metal pole .

If you get moved back a lot by the force of his charge then you know you have to do a bit of work on your stance , possibly sinking down and relaxing the thighs a bit more .

If you only get moved back a couple of inches then that is acceptable especially if the pad holder is really huge . But the ideal is not to get moved back at all . Although it will benefit your kicking , think of it more as a stance exercise .

Excellent technique I like it.

We used to do these in our school you might find them of use to you .
Some people have a good stance when they are standing still , but can't keep it while they are moving.
This first exercise can help with this problem , its pretty simple get into your stance and have your partner place his hand on your lower abdomen .

He gives you a little bit of resistance as you attempt to walk forwards , sink your weight down and mentally beam your force forwards . If its too hard , get him to back off on the resistance , if its to easy get him to put on more resistance .

When you get better you can overcome more resistance and even walk forwards when his hand is upon your chest and later almost up to your neck .
This next one tests the overall integrity of your stance , you will need one of those big kick shields. Your partner holds the kick shield on the side of his body , one hand holds the bottom of the shield firmly and the other hand holds the top , don't grab it by the straps on the back , they are useless and cause the pad to flop around .

Next thing you do is get into your stance , your partner goes away to a distance of approx five metres and then he charges at you as hard as he can whilst holding the pad .
As he comes into range you throw out a thrusting medium heel kick , if you get the timing right and your stance is good , for him it will feel like he just impaled himself on a metal pole .

If you get moved back a lot by the force of his charge then you know you have to do a bit of work on your stance , possibly sinking down and relaxing the thighs a bit more .

If you only get moved back a couple of inches then that is acceptable especially if the pad holder is really huge . But the ideal is not to get moved back at all . Although it will benefit your kicking , think of it more as a stance exercise .

Huh, this sounds pretty cool, I've just figured out how to do my stance properly, at least so I beleive, i'm sure i'll figure out some of the finer details as I go on, but once I feel like I have a good grasp of it I'll try and see if I can't get these tested out! thanks :)

Very cool Mook! We do the pad drill, but I'm gonna have hubbie try the pushing on tummy drill.
Thanks for sharing that!

Hey Si-Je I am purple belt now. I am getting close to you now. When I hit four hundred I will be a brown belt hooray...

Very cool Mook! We do the pad drill, but I'm gonna have hubbie try the pushing on tummy drill.
Thanks for sharing that!

Latest Discussions

Back