Two doors down, my neighbor surprised a burglar in her living room

monk64

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I just found out that two nights ago, a woman who lives two doors down from me surprised a burglar in her living room at 1am.

She heard some movement and came out to her living room. She saw someone crouching by a couch and then he stood up. She asked him what he was doing and simultaneously noticed that her husband's computer was moved. (Her husband was out of town).

He pulled a knife, said he was going to kill her, and lunged at her. She got a slash on her bicep but managed to "sock him". She's about 65 and very overweight.

The burglar made for the door but couldn't get out - the screen was locked and the exterior door was locked. She had to negotiate with him to go stand on one side of the room and unlock the door, then move away so he could escape. Alas, the police didn't catch him though we passed a description up and down the street.

I'm getting all of this second hand, but I have no reason to think she was making it up. I saw the scar and there were police cruisers. The "I'm going to kill you" statement is the only part that perhaps was exaggerated, but it may have happened that way. I don't think the kid (she said he was about 16) was intent on homicide - more of a panicked reaction to flee. Really a dumb move - burglary is one thing, but now he's added attempted homicide.

We live in a pretty average suburban area, though there is a train line nearby. Her house has a wooded area behind it.

She also has an alarm, but they were remodeling the kitchen and the window wasn't alarmed at the moment. I noticed that from the curb, I couldn't see any sign on the front of her house that showed she had an alarm.

This reinforces a lot of my thoughts on home safety:

• Your house doesn't have to be For Knox, just a less attractive target than your neighbors'. I like to think a house with an alarm system, a dog, etc. next to a house with neither looks less interesting.
  • She owns the nicest house on the block which amplifies the attractiveness. They also have expensive cars parked in the driveway.
  • Burglars are not bright. Another neighbor is out of town for two weeks and their house is empty. They have an alarm, but if I was a burglar, doing a fast smash-and-grab at an empty house is a whole lot safer than breaking into one where there are people home. Also, the kid in this case was wearing a bright yellow jump suit :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Buy a gun, learn how to use it safely. If a person breaks into your house and is armed with a knife and says they are going to kill you, shoot them dead on the spot.

OP
M

monk64

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Buy a gun, learn how to use it safely. If a person breaks into your house and is armed with a knife and says they are going to kill you, shoot them dead on the spot.

Yes, that would be my advice as well.

Honestly, it would take more than a verbal threat to make me pull the trigger, though someone who pulled a knife is a different issue.

A handgun instructor once told me that first shot will cost you $50,000 - in lawyer's bills, even if you're 100% in the clear. If my life (or those of my loved ones) were truly threatened, then of course that wouldn't be an issue, but I would always view firing as a very last resort.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, that would be my advice as well.

Honestly, it would take more than a verbal threat to make me pull the trigger, though someone who pulled a knife is a different issue.

A handgun instructor once told me that first shot will cost you $50,000 - in lawyer's bills, even if you're 100% in the clear. If my life (or those of my loved ones) were truly threatened, then of course that wouldn't be an issue, but I would always view firing as a very last resort.

Good advice. No one walks away with nothing about their life changed once they pull a trigger, no matter how justified. Very few exceptions.

Latest Discussions